Search Unity

[WIP] john doe -yet to be named project

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by BitCrushed, Mar 21, 2016.

1. BitCrushed

BitCrushed

Hi , i am working on a game inspired by the look of, minecraft and similar, styles of procedural terrain .
    I have not even gotten to game code yet , and do not really want to say much of it yet ,but i have a few screenshots ,taken whenever i saw something looking ..kinda eye catching .

so here are the first few screenshots i have taken of my project , actually i did not want to share anything until i was done but ,what the heck it's not as if its the new doom or something :/

screen_932x530_2016-03-20_23-43-08.png screen_933x469_2016-03-20_23-48-24.png screen_934x470_2016-03-21_19-40-38.png screen_947x512_2016-03-20_23-32-31.png
    comments are very welcome .
    i thank you for your time ,cheers.

RavenOfCode likes this.
  2. BitCrushed

BitCrushed

;)

Attached Files:

RavenOfCode likes this.
  3. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

Looks pretty cool, what are the game mechanics like?

4. BitCrushed

BitCrushed

the idea i have at this moment , for gameplay , is that the player will have to switch between roles , one role must be used to help the other , the player is limited in what he is capable of doing , also there wil be dangers the player cannot deal with ,without switching to the other role .

the "other role" i am refering to , would be like a robotic explorer or such , think mars rover , also limited to a degree that it needs certain things from the main player as interaction to "survive" or such.

in the beginning the player wil enter the world in a "lander" craft/capsule , with limited resources , and limited capabilities , like not being able to breath the environment air or such (different worlds with different negative factors) , but in a hatch will sit one of his tools - a mechanical explorer with the ability of having some storage space and mechanical arms with different tools , onboard cameras and a battery that charges up in day time , this mechanical explorer must be used to accomplish certain things to enable the player to survive in this world .

npc's are still not thought out .

anyway this is more or less my thoughts on what i was aiming for , nothing is in stone yet .

thanks for the interest :)

RavenOfCode likes this.
  5. BitCrushed

BitCrushed

grass received an update

Attached Files:

RavenOfCode likes this.
  6. BitCrushed

BitCrushed

scr131033756200734928.png so , i finally got rid of a really ugly brown discoloring in the grass shader when they waved about, i think it looks better now , plus it is written such that , i can change color based on the environment sky color , inspired by no mans sky , and theres a tad of far cry inspiration poured in to my project

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    RavenOfCode likes this.
  7. BitCrushed

BitCrushed

the textures are the only problem now
    scr131034851667484173.png scr131034851336883710.png

RavenOfCode likes this.
  8. BitCrushed

BitCrushed

scr131035036487495005.png

for some reason i love dry grass as much as healthy grass :/

RavenOfCode likes this.
  9. Bionicle_fanatic

Bionicle_fanatic

Original thoughts: Pfff, another minecraft clone.
    Thoughts after reading through the topic: Ooooh... [:p] I'm looking forward to seeing how the game mechanics play out. [:p] Good job putting a neat twist to a rather worn-out formula. [;)]

10. BitCrushed

BitCrushed

thank you for your view , yes as i see it ,if i were to be going to close to cloning then why not just do a mod on an already existing game, or stop wasting time , i liked the look all the edges gave in minecraft , which is why i went for the look , however i never usualy end up with the same thing as i start out with :/ weird right .

i was thinking of going away from the blocky terrain and moving towards marching cubes maby.

even perhaps just normal terrain ,however normal height terrain will take away the "jurassic/wonder" look i hope to reach .

only time will tell , if i feel something is going awkward during development of the prototype for gameplay , its going to crash and burn , straight to the recycle bin .

11. BitCrushed

BitCrushed

since i have not been busy with this in a long time , i started removing unneeded features and working on improving certain parts and recoding most of it , to see how well i could get it to run on my android device , turns out that on my device it runs okay-ish and i was wondering , if i were to improve uppon it more , would there be interest from people ,for this to become an starter package instead ?

http://wikisend.com/download/343674/Vtest.apk

download valid for 7 days .

regards.

12. Kushkyy

Kushkyy

Sounds and looks pretty interesting so far. Are you going to make a build for Windows? I literally hate gaming on my phone.

13. BitCrushed

BitCrushed

i have a windows version with a lot more in it than the apk , but i am in the process of recoding for performance and simplicity .

thanks for the reply .

14. BitCrushed

BitCrushed

Here are 2 Windows test builds , one with mesh reduction and the other without.

i am working on the mesh reduction version currently ,and i have had many issues with atlas tiling in the shader, which is no surprize to me not being a shader guru at all, the whole basis of this project started off as a tutorial i followed and since then i have re-coded much of it in my own way , there is however a few things left to be re-coded in my own form .

[no mesh reduction]
    http://wikisend.com/download/386596/nomeshreduction.rar

[with mesh reduction]
    http://wikisend.com/download/662200/meshreduction.rar

[key guide]
    z and x : add/remove blocks
    r : restart
    wsad : move about
    space : jump 2 blocks high , there is an autojump 1 block height.
    k : screenshot

the add and remove keys have been set to enable holding the keys down to see performance drops but i removed fps count display so anyway..

the initial updates is actually supposed to be run during a loading process , which is absent , so you should give it some time to do the initial updates before moving about .

regards

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    RavenOfCode likes this.