Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIP] Installation 01: Halo Fan Game for the PC

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by TheChunkierBean, Apr 10, 2015.

1. TheChunkierBean

TheChunkierBean

July 2014 (CE3 2014 Demo)

March 2015 (Current Build)

Before I get started, I want to say that past recruitment from this site has been great, with the help of talent we picked up here Installation 01 has gone from a concept build in July 2014 (CE3 2014) to the sexiness you see up above. (note: the BR is a placeholder model)

We’ve been delayed by massive reworkings of the game itself for greater stability and modularity, critical elements in a community-oriented game. Being a fan team, we can’t make any money, not even from donations, so we are doing this in our spare time. Professionals, students, and passionate Halo fans coming together with whatever free hours they have. We are making something that we’ve craved for a long time, a full Halo game for PC, Linux, and Mac, boasting classic gameplay and game modes from multiple Halo titles, all bundled into a shiny package of modern graphics.

Positions we need filled so this project moves faster:

Programmers:
    • Proficient in C#.
    • Unity or other comparable game experience.
    • Capable of using Github.
    • Willingness to communicate well with our senior engineers.
    • A team player.

Artists:
    -2D-
    • Knowledge of GIMP, Photoshop, or any other comparable 2D graphics program. Largely needed for UI and texture work.
    • Willing to work on assigned projects within their deadlines. (we aren’t super hardcore about this,
    but this is more about not signing up for anything you know you can’t finish on time).
    • Knowledge of 3D modeling is a plus, but not required.

-3D-
    • Skills with any widely used 3D modeling software, such as Blender, Max, or Maya. Zbrush is also • welcomed.
    • Work within deadlines (once again, we don’t have a lot of deadlines, just know your limits)
    • Be comfortable with assigned tasks from senior modelers.
    • Doesn't matter if you prefer environmental, structural, or organic modeling, we need you. ;)
    • Knowing how to texture models well is a plus, but is not required.

Sound and recording:
    • Own/have constant access to professional sound equipment and software.
    • Have experience with sound design for games or professional videos.
    • Willingness to adapt to whatever is needed at the moment. (voice, gun shots, birdsong, etc.)

VFX/Shader Artist:
    • Expericence with Unity 5's new shaders.
    • Can write custom shaders.
    • Skills in HLSL and GLSL.
    • Meeting deadlines and a good team player.

If you wish to help out as any of those roles, just comment here about it and one of the team members will get back to you soon :)

NOTE: We are abiding by Microsoft’s Fair Use Policy, hence why we cannot make any money off the project, and why we must build everything ourselves, we cannot distribute “rips” of any kind from any Halo game. This is a community project, there is no chance for profit, the only reward for our devs is that they have the satisfaction of making a small dream into reality.

Thanks for reading, here’s some more eye candy:

Edited by TheChunkierBean on Mar 17, 2015 at 09:34 PM

Peter77 likes this.
  2. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

You have really amazing models! this game looks amazing, and the fact that it has to be free is awesome to me. :p The graphics are top notch from the pictures, too! I could work in the 2D position, as I know 80% of GIMP. Photoshop i haven't ever used so...hehe. If you ever needed me just shoot me a message! (not I'm not like some super amazing professional awesome graphics guy, although I can make really nice graphics, you can ask me for a portfolio of images if you'd like.)

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You absolutely can not do any such thing. Making money is irrelevant, aside from the amount of damages you can be sued for.

No, there are actual copyright laws and it's not a matter of opinion. You can never do what you want with other people's IP (as long as it hasn't gone into the public domain, which takes like 10 million years these days); you must get permission. In this particular case, Microsoft has published a list of rules about what you can do with their IP. As far as I can tell, this project is following the rules and therefore has Microsoft's permission to exist. So, end of debate.

--Eric

4. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I hate to say it but I think Eric is right. Your pretty well stuck not being allowed to use such IP regardless of original models and everything, and if m$ wants to pull the plug they can and will. I mean maybe if there's no youtube ad income, no donations, no nothing but idk the legal side much.

I admire your work so far, looks awesome, but man - you should severely consider the problem with infringement. I'd say work your ass off trying to beg m$ for rights but I wouldn't hold your breath. If you knew a guy who knew a guy at m$ and could talk them into a deal - which pays them nicely - maybe, just maybe they could give you the green light for some spin off license but again, it's a shot in the dark.

A shame man cuz this looks great it really does. If you can make it legally without getting sued I hope it turns out great!

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

I don't think you actually read my post...read all of the words. ;)

--Eric

Mycroft and Razputin like this.
  6. TheChunkierBean

TheChunkierBean

Ugh. I think I should mention a thing:

• We had a couple buddies of ours go to a 343 Industries signing panel. They asked Frankie O'Conner (Creative Director of 343i) and bsangel (at the time Community Manager of 343i) if it was cool making fan games. They said as long as we didn't use the Halo name and/or Microsoft name and didn't make profit off the game, we would be fine.

Also there are two other Halo fan games (not similar in I01 gameplay) being made on different engines. All of us use Microsoft's Game Content Usage. Here is link for all you whipper snappers: http://www.xbox.com/en-us/developers/rules

Let's get back on track eh?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    Whiteleaf likes this.
  7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

No...

--Eric

TheChunkierBean likes this.
  8. TheChunkierBean

TheChunkierBean

Thanks Eric :D

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hi,

I cleaned up the vast majority of troll posts and squabbling. This is a fan made game, and it's clear - yes - there is risk of it being pulled or taken down, there always will be risk. But it's also clear the authors intend to go ahead and claim they have permission, so that's the end of the matter.

If anyone is posting after this point, do not bother posting if it's to do with copyright or whatever, since we've been there and had that discussion.

10. THoeppner

THoeppner

The pics are looking really great so far. But can you tell us also a little bit about the gameplay? Is it just a plain remake of Halo for PC or do you plan to implement also some new features or story elements?

If you're still looking for some programmers you can send me a message :)

11. TheChunkierBean

TheChunkierBean

The gameplay is based off of Halo 3. All I can say is everything that was in any Halo is available in Custom Games ;)

12. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I've never understood the point of fan games. Lack of creativity? Heck no, look at the ability of the developers above.

But what is holding this team back from making the characters (non halo) there own and making the mechanics the same with improvements?

Then you have yourself something you can call your own, instead of something inspired by someone elses idea, lore, concept, creativity.

Nice models and texture remakes of the past halo games so far. Interested in seeing game play footage.

Dreamaster and Razputin like this.
  13. nasos_333

nasos_333

Very nice :)

This would be the perfect fit for Sky Master i suppose, alien skies and halo formations is one of its specialties :)

14. Aidenjl

Aidenjl

Hey, if you're still looking for a c# programmer could you shoot me a message?

Thanks - Aiden :)

15. TheChunkierBean

TheChunkierBean

Thanks for the feedback guys! More goodies will come soon.

16. TheChunkierBean

TheChunkierBean

Looking for a someone who can help us properly light scenes and make the game look amazing.

17. Crazie Official

Crazie Official

"Being a fan team, we can’t make any money, not even from donations..."

I don't know if this project is still alive or not but you may earn money from donations, as stated in Microsoft's Game Content Usage Rules:

Just trying to help you guys make some money for this awesome work... :D

18. TheChunkierBean

TheChunkierBean

We are alive yes.

19. Dexter_Morgan

Dexter_Morgan

I have a feeling this will fall away like the SG1 multiplayer did and just die off.

I hope No stereo typical thing happens like:

1. Ooops sorry guys wifes baby is on its way and I now have different life priorities and this project is now considered dead,finished and closed.
    2. A new gaming company is interested in my work and no more time left for this endeavor.
    3. I am typing this on a friends computer as the entire contents of my house was stolen.

Yeah something in relation to the above has happened a lot to previous cool games being created but the cheap jerk just walks out on us. I want you to finish this code even if you lost your house and was evicted and you are coding in sub zero temperatures with a polar bear breathing down your back! Got it? Good!

20. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I disagree lol, if this happens, more power to the dev to drop everything and go get paid! Gotta grab opportunity when it arises!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  21. Lelandz

Lelandz

Hey, I don't know if you guys are still active but I'd like to help. I'm in my second year of college for animation/game development. I'm very proficent in Maya, 3DS Max, Softimage, Zbrush, Photoshop, and Unreal. I've also dabbled in Unity. I love Halo so much and I want to help if I can. Thank you.

22. Charkes

Charkes

I Can help in shaders, pm me if your are interrested.

23. LolFace12312312

LolFace12312312

I can 3D model in either 3ds Max or Blender, Also have a bit experience with texturing :) Message me whenever you need help :D

24. mshindala

mshindala

I'm a senior computer science major, have some experience with C#, message me if you're interested.

25. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Update Vidoc that the team made for CE3 2016, hope you enjoy :)

26. Spaceball1

Spaceball1

I am a sysadmin and would like to pursue a career as a devops.
    I can administer linux/windows servers.
    ...if this project is still around that is.

27. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I just watched the recently released Cinematic Trailer, great stuff! Also congratulations for getting permission from Microsoft and 343 to work on the project.

Looking forward to more updates!