Search Unity

WIP - Haunted House Game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Dougomite, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Dougomite

Dougomite

Hey folks, I've been working on creating a game similar to the board game Betrayal at House on the Hill and just wanted to share what I've come up with so far. Right now you can only really walk around the house and explore new rooms. I still need to get in more items and setup more of the rules to really make it into a game. Been working on it on my own since around Halloween.

You can hop on over to my blog to play what I have so far, http://www.dougomite.com/blog/haunted-house-game/

Some screenshosts:
    $3.PNG $2.PNG

Here are some concept shots I got to help keep me motivated and put some of my ideas on paper:
    $house small - Copy.jpg $vampire final sketch - Copy.jpg $snake final sketch - Copy.jpg

2. Dreeka

Dreeka

Looks interesting!
    Is it going to be similar to Amnesia: The Dark Descent?

3. Orkze

Orkze

Sounds and looks nice!
    Sadly the stuff on your homepage isn't working vor me.
    I assume it is kind of turn based (sseing something about dice rolls on the screens)?

4. Dougomite

Dougomite

@Dreeka Yup similar to the feel and ambiance of Amnesia. Kind of like if Amnesia was a co-op turn based game. The boardgame I'm basing it off of describes the game as a strategy horror experience.

@Orkze You assume correctly. Players can move a certain number of rooms based on their speed, after which they must end their turn. Players roll a certain number of dice depending on the stat being tested for various things they encounter in the rooms.

My next thing to tackle is making the rules and general idea of what's happening form moment to moment more obvious. That probably means I'll be making a second pass at the UI.

5. derf

derf

Quick question did you create the interior or was it a outside source? Right now I am looking into interiors and have only begun to dig into the topic.

6. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

great game concept!!

7. Dougomite

Dougomite

@derf Yup I created the interiors myself. The rooms are all 10x10, with a plane for the floor and then two planes for each wall. Most of the props I got from various sites that have free 3d models. I think the rooms are kinda small right now so I'm going to go back and re-do them with better props I'll probably pay for then enlarge the rooms too. If you start making interiors I'd say put down place holder objects for all the props in the room to get a better idea of how the room size feels because an empty interior always feels much larger than it will be with objects in it.

8. taytaytaylo8

taytaytaylo8

Is the link to your blog/game still viable? Every time I try to access it, I am brought to this website. Here’s the link.
    http://haveyouent.wixsite.com/haveyou
    I’m brought to that site instead of yours.

Also, my friends and I are high schoolers yet we absolutely adore playing Betrayal every Friday night. Is there any chance that your game might be/become multiplayer since were heading off to college soon and would love to be able to play together through college aswell.

9. Dougomite

Dougomite

Sorry, I scrapped that project because I just couldn't get the look and feel I wanted. I still love Betrayal and might give it a go again someday.

I'd say you all should check out 'Tabletop Simulator', it's good for being able to play any board game online with friends. It's a little unwieldy to control but still pretty fun.

10. taytaytaylo8

taytaytaylo8

But Money + Unemployed High Schoolers= problem

11. taytaytaylo8

taytaytaylo8

I know there’s something called Vassal that’s multiplayer and can run Betrayal but I haven’t the slightest idea on how to use it, therefore my friends definitely won’t understand it

12. taytaytaylo8

taytaytaylo8

By any chance would you be willing to start the project up again any time soon?

13. Dougomite

Dougomite

Nah, I'm busy on other projects lately, even if I did it would probably still take about a year to finish. Programming just one of the endings would probably take a week or two. I still keep my eye out for any board game templates or toolkits that would make this fast and easy, so if I ever find something really useful I'd probably give this another go someday.

Ha, yeah Tabletop ain't cheap, but once you get it there is a ton of games to play on it.

14. taytaytaylo8

taytaytaylo8

So all of my friends and I are taking AP Computer Science, yet we only know how to use Scratch as a programming language but whatever language or program you’re using to create this I’m sure we’d be willing to learn it. I honestly don’t know if any other way to put it but if we could look at your work and maybe build off it that’d be awesome since we’re about to graduate and do nothing for about two months before college. There’s like 6 or 7 of us so splitting up work and building up to a finished project would happen in no time. But again I don’t want to ask you for your work but I want to ask you for your work Please ...

15. taytaytaylo8

taytaytaylo8

Also a Friend of mine is programming Pokémon in Scratch... if that helps to describe his skill level

16. Dougomite

Dougomite

Yeah, no problem. This weekend I'll see if I can find the old project somewhere and post a link to it here.

It's made in the Unity Engine using C#, so might be a little harder to piece together than Scratch but it's doable. Recreating the game from nothing is probably faster than trying to get my old code running since the code is like 7 years old now.

A tutorial like this is a good start,

17. taytaytaylo8

taytaytaylo8

I literally cannot express in words how happy I am. Thank you so much!!! I will let you know if we finish it, if you find it.

18. taytaytaylo8

taytaytaylo8

Did you find it?

19. Dougomite

Dougomite

20. taytaytaylo8

taytaytaylo8

Thank you! I’ll let you know if it works sometime tonight or tomorrow. I can’t open it at school.