Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

WIP First Game, no name yet

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Zirokden, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Zirokden

Zirokden

Hello. This is my first game attempt, its very rought yet, its a "lemmings" style game.

Im still a newbie , 4 levels are done so far, im improving the game as time goes.

www.knightsofmania.com.br/Tosco/WebBuild.html

Please give me some feedback i would apreciate it. I know graphics are not good, i just cant draw ehehe

2. Ra1den

Ra1den

Heey! even the greatest of games all had to start out like this :D

Though I'm not really a fan of the "lemmings" style games my problem was that i didn't know what exactly to do when
    i started... You should change that... Add more clarity maybe by adding better art, GUI that stands out more or even
    just adding some sort of instructions, I couldn't read the text because they were being blocked by stuff :L

Overall I don't think its a bad Game idea but you should flesh it out abit more :)

3. welby

welby

he tripped! funny

:p

good start!

It would of been more intuitive if I could 'drag' the planks as opposed to click and pop, imho.

cheers!

4. crag

crag

Great challenge! I enjoyed it. Get some artsy friend that likes games to sketch out some stuff on paper with you. I like 8-bit look-and-feel for this. Would even work as 2.5D.

Killer start!

5. inko

inko

This! Lemmings! So much yes!

Oh man this brings back memories :)

I agree with welby on the dragging thing. And hotkeys for actions would be nice.
    Also I'd suggest getting rid of the box colliders and using shperes instead since they don't get stuck as easily.

But still, really cool start and I will definitley play more of this in the future!

keep it up!

6. Pyronide

Pyronide

I just played this game and I believe that there is a strong potential for this game. There are a lot of neat things that can be done with a little thinking like the red ball and the Iron bar. Great job, hope to see more of this in the future.

7. wrstscrnnm6

wrstscrnnm6

I really dig the feel of the characters. I would think about what they are, what they are called and where they are going as you continue development. The little bouncing and tripping animation make them feel charmingly helpless.

The progression of the levels seemed to ease me into the slightly trickier puzzles which was good. After playing through I still don't know what the difference between the plank types are. I am curios to see how this mechanic space scales. Will there be planks that break, or float or some other behavior that differentiates them?

The controls are still pretty clunky. For the camera, I would consider either making sure the whole level fits on one screen or, if you really need the space, adding in keyboard controls to navigate the camera. Locking camera movement to one axis might also help (i.e. the camera only moves horizontally)
    The placement controls seemed too "button focused". I would think about a more drag and drop approach. (eg. drag a plank out of a menu and into the environment. Bad Piggies does this well)

Hope some of this is helpful. I am looking forward to seeing where you take this.

hippocoder likes this.
  8. Zirokden

Zirokden

Hey, thanks for the feedback !!!

Ive changed the controls as mentioned and made camera movement only horizontal to make controls easyer to use as you guys told, with drag n drop and hotkeys.

Im learning physics stuff yet so im tryng to add a new thing to each level. I was tryng to add water, but its very hard to code water phyics.
    About artist friends, i have none. Where i live (i live in Brazil) most people dont even know what a computer is (i live in a poor farm zone), my friends are not computer users so ill have to use my 'superb' art.

I have very few time to spare on the game, as i study and work. Im not sure on how to make any money on games, but i wish i could help pay my study with this game as im enjoyng alot to make it but im not sure why and if its possible to do so.

Ive added a new level as well, a simple one tho just to learn how to use Hinge Joints.
    The updated version is in the same link.

http://www.knightsofmania.com.br/Tosco/WebBuild.html

Thanks alot for the feedback, more feeds are aways welcome.

Its kinda hard to think up a level, was thinking on making a level editor so other people could make levels as well...workin on that !

Again, thanks for the feedbacks !