Search Unity

[WIP] - Digital Native 2D - (2D Deformation/Animation tools)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by KeiTagura, Nov 5, 2015.

?

Would you be interested in using this set of tools?

1. NO - You call these tools, I'd get more done with a tooth pick and some used gum.

2. MAYBE - Meh... it looks interesting but I'll have to try it myself first

3. YES - Finish it noooow and Gimme!!!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. KeiTagura

KeiTagura

Since Unity didn't provide tools and I couldn't find what I wanted in the asset store I recently started trying to make the tools myself. (and I'm starting to spend waaaaaaay to much time on it)

It's basically a bunch of tools I've created to help deform and animate 2D artwork, and I finally got it to a state where I think things are starting to work pretty well, and decide to see what people here thought about it.

Current List of Working Tools/Functions
    -Convert Sprite to Skinned Mesh.
    -Generate control points for deformation.
    -Record deformation and animate linearly/3x3 blending.
    -Parent Deformer, multiple deformable/animated children.
    -Restore Deformable object and points to original positions.
    -Ability to draw and animate one side then mirror both the art and animations to the other side.
    (And a few other things that I don't remember making.....)

Planned List of Tools/Functions to Add
    -Mecanim style animation nodes
    -API for Script callback from animation/Animation calls from Script.
    -Bone joint based deformer/animator.
    -Swap/FadIn/FadeOut animation parts.
    -MultiSelect Control points/ Bounding Selection box (Scale, Rotate, Translate )
    (And a bunch of automation for set up needs to be added)

PREVIEW
    First I need to be able to convert a sprite to a mesh so it can be deformable,
    then add the ability to record and animate the created mesh linearly.

Next I needed to create a tool to record and animate by blending between different record points on a 3x3 grid and is used to animate by following the mouse courser during Play-Mode.

Next I created a grid system that allows you to place all your deformable and animated pieces into, which then allows you to animate an entire set of different pieces together while keeping each pieces unique animations and controls.

And here is what I'm able to achieve so far, it's getting there but still has quite a few kinks to iron out.
    Also probably shoulda spent more time making the animation look nice but still it's basically a working proof of concept.

theANMATOR2b and Kellyrayj like this.
  2. LouisHong

LouisHong

Absolutely stunning effects well done! Can't wait for it to hit the asset store!

3. joelcarlson

joelcarlson

Wonderful stuff! I could definitely use a tool like this in my 2D work!