Search Unity

[WIP] desolate

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Elliot_Co, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Elliot_Co

Elliot_Co

Hey everyone,

I've been working on this game for about a year now, so thought it was time to start sharing it with you all.
    I've been using Unity the whole time and during the updates switched from using 2Dtoolkit to using Unity's native 2D.
    I made the switch because a lot of the benefit that 2DTK has I wasn't using. So it made sense to simplify the process of getting assets in the game.
    I'm also using Playmaker with custom actions, puppet2D for the animations and Particle Playground for half of the particle effects in the game.

So here's the trailer for the game, and a few quick screenshots.
    Let me know what you think so far, and if you have any questions.

Shadowy figures have invaded your village, you sacrifice your friends and family to escape. Now you must make amends for your mistakes, and change for the better.
    desolate is a 2D hand painted puzzle adventure game. Use the three core interactions of sound, gesture, and touch, to communicate with its inhabitants.

If you want to follow the development a bit closer follow me here

https://www.facebook.com/desolategame
    http://www.desolate-game.com
    https://twitter.com/InkBitCo
    https://twitter.com/ElliotCollis

Thanks for checking out desolate!

2. AthosK

AthosK

The art style looks great and the atmosphere feels perfect, but from the trailer I couldn't quite make clear what this game is about or what kind of game it is, is it an adventure or a platformer?

Elliot_Co likes this.
  3. calmcarrots

calmcarrots

I personally dont like games with "beautiful graphics" and its 2d and all that crap. I am starting to get pissed because of that and reviewers believe this crap is total art, giving a 9 because of the artwork. Games are games that should focus on gameplay. Idk sorry about saying that to your game. Im in the minority etc just had to get this off my chest.

4. Elliot_Co

Elliot_Co

Hey Nasoukikos,
    Thanks for the reply. It's a puzzle adventure game, with some platforming elements. So similar to something like Abe's Odyssey or Another World.
    The game is split up into 7 Acts, with each act having different kinds of interactions and puzzles. You use the 3 core interactions of touch, gesture, and speak to interact and solve each level.
    I hope this answers your questions.

5. Elliot_Co

Elliot_Co

Hey Calmcarrots,
    All good, I understand where your coming from. I personal do like unique looking games with different gameplay, but yeah it is still a game, I'm actually making this game by myself with my friend Ben Tolich doing the music. So the game heavily reflects my interests in games.

6. NomadKing

NomadKing

Really nice looking art style and the music matches well - overall very atmospheric.

I do kind of agree with what @calmcarrots is saying though, gameplay is definitely important, and there are some games with great / unique / artist visuals that have very shallow or short gameplay. Of course there are games that get it right, games like Limbo and Braid had some genuinely challenging parts as well as a great visual style - so it can be done right!

Not saying which category your game fits into, but looking forward to seeing more of it :)

Elliot_Co likes this.
  7. Elliot_Co

Elliot_Co

Hey everyone!

So for the last while I have been working on a Kickstarter and Greenlight campaign.
    They are both finally live, please check it out and consider backing.

Let me know what you think, and if you have any feedback I'd love to hear it.

8. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Elliot_Co likes this.
  9. Elliot_Co

Elliot_Co