Search Unity

[WIP] Cube Footie

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by popuppirate, Apr 28, 2015.

1. popuppirate

popuppirate

Hi Guys,

After finishing my degree, I needed some means of keeping my programming up to scratch. Unity provided this opportunity, though the question remained: what sort of game would I make? After many hours of deep contemplation, the answer finally came to me in a rapturous moment of glory: What if a cube could play footie?

To answer that question, please may I present the first dev build of a game concept that has eaten many hours my private time, Cube Footie.

In the vein of Portal, Cube Footie is an epic, visceral quest of one lonely cube in a quest to escape the evil labyrinth of Brickwall United's Football Factory. With only a trusty football to aid in it's quest and absolutely no guidance, can you make it to glory?

I have only completed one playable level and not all the sound has been implemented, but any advice and/or guidance from greater games designers than I would be great! Also, if anyone likes it and is willing to help me out banging out levels or designing or whatever, it'd be totally awesome to collab - I'm not looking to make money out of this!

CONTROLS:
    Movement
    W/A/S/D
    - Movement

Ball Control
    Right Click Down
    - Hold for more shooting power
    Right Click Release - Kick ball
    Left Click Down - Hold to reduce shooting power
    Scroll - Change shot angle
    E - Hold Shot
    Space - Stop Ball

Screenshot:

Here's a download link (the webplayer didn't seem to work that well):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8_hqZ4ALgV4NmtfbDZJcjg4ZW8&authuser=0

Cheers,

Popup Pirate

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  2. FreakForFreedom

FreakForFreedom

Do you mind posting some screenshots first so we know what this game looks like before we click it? ;-)

3. popuppirate

popuppirate

Hi mate,

Just whacked one on this morning to the first post!

Cheers,

Popup Pirate

4. popuppirate

popuppirate

In a strange turn of events, my project worked perfectly on my computer via the link and failed awesomely on every other computer I tried it on! The GUI didn't seem to show up, and so I've taken the main menu out for now.

Cheers,

Popup Pirate

5. andrewjason

andrewjason

you should know that your project takes up wayyyy too much cpu than something of that size should. I suggest you analyse what's hogging all that up unless you want to kill your user's frame rates/ release on mobile :)

6. popuppirate

popuppirate

Cheers for the heads up!

How terribly odd - it runs perfectly on my computer on the web player! As I mentioned in my previous post, I had no idea the GUI didn't work until someone else ran the game on their computer...most baffling.

This webplayer malarkey is quite a pain! I may simply release the executable file, being intended as a PC game than for playing online.

Thanks,

Popup Pirate

7. andrewjason

andrewjason

Well I'm currently using my back up computer which has low-mid range specs (hence why it's a back-up) but I like to use this because it's what most people have and what many of our target audiences use. Also if it lags on this, then it'll lag on a mobile device (which your game lends itself to quite well). Perhaps there's something in the scripts causing it? I forget what it's called off the top of my head, but there's an asset on the store which runs at runtime letting you know what takes up how much gpu; scripts, meshes etc. that'll help you out, if you don't have it already :)

popuppirate likes this.
  8. popuppirate

popuppirate

I have some cloth physics and the like running, and there's a navmesh agent running all the time instead of when the player is close... in short, it appears I have been lazy! I will endeavour to solve this as best I can, but for the interim I've created a PC download that should work fine for now.

Cheers,

Popup Pirate

andrewjason likes this.