Search Unity

[ WIP ] UCC - Create custom morphs and modifications on any model

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Aerozo, Jul 21, 2015.

1. reocwolf

reocwolf

I found a stitching code that allows you to basically to take a rigged mesh and stitch it to the bone transforms of another then delete the old one. I actually was going to use that with Morph 3d chars but UCC loos so much better!! So adding a similar code would be awesome!

I guess it works kinda like Mixamo's Fuse which is what I use to create my characters. I think that software uses volumes too.

BTW I don't know if this is possible but here an Idea. What if I have two meshes based on the same topography and lets say I scupted both differently in zbrush, one "normal" the other "muscular". I imported them both into Unity and set up UCC's volumes. I got the "normal" version set up but I want to create a morph. It would be awesome if somehow you could place the "Muscular" version in the same spot as the "normal" vers and reference it to tell the volumes to remember the position of the vertex data and create a morph with it. Then you don't need the muscular model anymore and just delete it. Something like the mod linking but to copy the data.

I'm going to buy this as soon as I get the budget!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  2. Aerozo

Aerozo

The next update will have a similar option to this. You'll be able to select a skinned or unskinned mesh and then an already skinned mesh that you want to skin it to. You'll have to position it to where you want it skinned on the skinned mesh and it'll handle the rest :)

Mixamo Fuse's limitations were one of the things that inspired me to make this asset because I wanted similar customisation options in my own game ^^

The interpolating between two meshes thing is something in my research list at the moment. It will most likely be in an upcoming version once I've figured out how integrate it with everything else.

montyfi likes this.
  3. Duffer123

Duffer123

Will have to buy this now when in funds... ;)

4. Aerozo

Aerozo

montyfi likes this.
  5. Duffer123

Duffer123

In some future release some runtime playmaker actions and integration would be magic...

6. Recon03

Recon03

7. Aerozo

Aerozo

It's on my to-do list, planned for 0.25 (update after next).

8. Duffer123

Duffer123

Great. Thx Aerozo.!

9. tapticc

tapticc

So experimentation with a clothes Daz3D character is not going as well as I hoped. I was hoping I could select the body, add a parameter to size say the hips and the clothing around the hips resize as well. I know this was unlikely of course! So I also added a similar parameter on the shorts which I can size independently but it's very tricky getting the 2 to size together.

I will try combining the character model mesh and clothing meshes next and let you know how I get on :)

10. Aerozo

Aerozo

Wait, you don't have to do that!

Check out this video, it'll show you how make the clothes scale with the character :)

montyfi likes this.
  11. tapticc

tapticc

I've given that a go with a character with a nude model, a t shirt and shorts. I targeted the waist area as this is common to all 3. Using the tips in the Modification Linking video I got the shorts and character resizing together, I tried to apply the same logic to the t shirt but this seemed to also move the shorts rather than the t shirt. Should this work with multiple links in the same area using the same parameter please?

12. montyfi

montyfi

I have several characters with skinned meshes. I would like to share skinned mesh from one character with another one. At the moment I can do it runtime combining skinned meshes from prefabs, it works perfectly but leads to skin popping out.
    If I understand correctly UCC can help to solve skin popping out problem, but I cannot figure out how.
    Your video shows already combined meshes, but how to do the same if meshes are separated?
    I would appreciate you help.

13. Duffer123

Duffer123

Yes that would be another query of mine...

14. Aerozo

Aerozo

It should be possible already. I'll make a temporary video to show you how in about an hour and post it here.

Not possible in this version. Next version is taking a while because it will support this and a bunch of other goodies :)

15. Duffer123

Duffer123

Excellentay!

16. tapticc

tapticc

Perhaps this may be why it isn't working properly for me, when I duplicate the main modification and copy this to the shorts or tshirt, and link the main modification I get this error over and over until I deselect the duplicate mod:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    MeshCustomiserWeighterSpherical.EditorOnlyUpdateVertexWeights () (at Assets/UCC/Scripts/Mesh Customiser/Weighters/MeshCustomiserWeighterSpherical.cs:254)
    MeshCustomiserWeighterSpherical.EditorOnlyUpdate () (at Assets/UCC/Scripts/Mesh Customiser/Weighters/MeshCustomiserWeighterSpherical.cs:94)
    MeshCustomiserWeighterSpherical.OnDrawGizmos () (at Assets/UCC/Scripts/Mesh Customiser/Weighters/MeshCustomiserWeighterSpherical.cs:44)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Also I noticed on your video the Original Mesh and Modified Mesh were set automatically but mine are blank

17. Aerozo

Aerozo

Interesting... would you be able to send me a screenshot of the whole inspector where it's not being set?

18. tapticc

tapticc

I have managed to get it working with a bit more practice :)

I had to Add Mesh Customiser before doing the New Modification and then remove the new modification before duplicating the main one, worked well once I figured it out

19. Aerozo

Aerozo

Brilliant :)

Here's the video I mentioned.

DISCLAIMER: Contains 3D boobs

20. tapticc

tapticc

Thanks for doing the video, I had a few of the problems like the vertices missing and the mesh being out of place so found this really useful :)

21. chingwa

chingwa

This is looking like it could be very useful! :) I also have been investigating other modification systems. I could not get into UMA as it seems quite limiting, and MCS is extremely heavy and reliant on specific meshes (not to mention the topology of their stuff is not ideal).

One thing I haven't seen in your thread yet (or perhaps I missed it?) is how these morphs work on an animated character. While setting up on a static figure looks great, I wonder how well the morphs sustain themselves when the character is animating. Do the morphs need to be attached to character bones for stability, or are the vertex adjustments baked at runtime?

22. Aerozo

Aerozo

Hey, thanks for pointing that out, I forgot to add animations to the demo builds.

Here's a quick WebGL build showing modifications with animations:
    (removed - see first post in thread)

The modifications are applied straight to the vertices so you don't need to attach anything to the bones. As you can see in the build, the morphs sustain themselves pretty well during animation. Even if you find something doesn't sustain itself to your liking, you can add tweaks here and there using some static modifiers to get it working.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
    chingwa and Deleted User like this.
  23. Licarell

Licarell

Very interested in this... could I use this to create/apply Joint Correction Morphs?

Would I be able to tie how much of a morph is applied compared to the angle that a bone is rotating, e.g. hips and shoulders?

Thanks!

24. Aerozo

Aerozo

There's no out-of-the-box support for it ( yet ;) ) but you could easily write a short script to tie up a modification to the angle of a bone. If you do end up buying it, just let me know and I'll write up an example script to help you get started.

I've also added it to my to-do list for a future update because it looks really useful.

25. Licarell

Licarell

Well alright then!

Purchased!

26. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

If you're definitely going to add this then I'll pick your asset up! ;)

You mentioned about adding a Texture Customizer. Is that for placing textures at run-time, such as tattoos, etc., or is that going to be for fixing texture stretching when your morphs are extreme, such as your "boobs" demo, or maybe both?!

Anyways looks great so far!!

27. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks for the animation demo! Very very interesting. I'll be keeping my eye on this one :)

28. Duffer123

Duffer123

and don't forget Playmaker support - that's a must!

29. Aerozo

Aerozo

Hey, thanks for the words of encouragement. That's what I'd like to do in the end but it ultimately comes down to the number of copies it sells since it's difficult to justify spending time on something that's not making enough money for the amount of research and effort involved.

The "Texture Customiser" would basically be the texture equivalent of the Mesh Customiser (a.k.a. everything you see in the videos). My plan is to make it a modular system for adding overlays on top of the base texture (i.e. sliders for wrinkles and stuff) plus decals and tattoos which the player can move about to design their ideal character. All of it working at runtime of course ;)

At this point I'd say only buy it if it does something you can already use it for since my to-do list is growing and the time I have to spare on this is shrinking so it's hard to say when any features are gonna make it to an update.

montyfi likes this.
  30. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Thanks for the reply. I would love to purchase your asset if some of the feature you had mentioned make it within a reasonable time frame. When you mention your development time is shrinking and you're uncertain when there will be updates, it makes me a bit leery to spend $50. Maybe your price-point is a bit high for it's current state, depending on how many you've sold... I don't know... I'd like to contribute if this asset moves ahead. Just my two-cents. :)

31. Aerozo

Aerozo

Well it's not shrinking yet, I'm still going full steam on the 0.2 update and possibly one more after that regardless. It's just whether sales pick up after that determines if it becomes a hobby or a serious product. I know it's not great to hear but I don't want you to buy it based on features it doesn't have yet so that's why I'm telling you this :)

32. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Fair enough. :)

I purchased it and it is definitely a time-saver from creating morphs inside of a 3D application. So far so good! One problem I am having is getting the mirroring to work. I added a New Modification to my model, positioned the volume accordingly, set the scale values and have that Parameter working. But as soon as I click the "Enable Mirroring" check box, It positions the mirrored volume correctly, but the mesh doesn't change when I move the slider, just the original side. What am I missing?

I also cant change the Parameter Amount after I Play my scene. Thoughts on this too?

I'm running Unity 5.2.3f1 and your beta 0.15.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  33. Aerozo

Aerozo

I'm not sure why mirroring wouldn't work in that case. Could you send me a screenshot with the Vertex Bounds and Volume Outlines enabled?

Parameters can only be set through the API in play mode right now. If you take a look at the example scene that's included I've made a UI in there for testing which you can drop your character into and link up to the "UI Initialiser" to tweak. I'll look into enabling the Parameters in play mode for update 0.2.

34. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Here you go... ss.jpg

35. chingwa

chingwa

You should rename this the 'universal breast manipulation tool' and you'll sell a gazillion :)

36. Aerozo

Aerozo

Check your PMs :)

:eek: :oops:

37. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

"Hey,

So I've got 2 things for you try:

1. Change the "Position Mirror Axis" and see if that solves anything for you, because it looks like the two volumes are behind each other rather than next to each other.

2. Check out this reply and see if it applies to your mesh, fix coming in 0.2
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/re...stomisation-to-any-model.365896/#post-2389978

3. Right click somewhere in the hierarchy, go to UCC Mesh Customiser and Refresh All Vertex Selections.

If none of those work, it would be great if I you could package your scene and send it over to me or screen-share over Skype so we can figure out what the problem is. I've been working hard on getting rid of selection issues and would really like to fix whatever it is before I submit the update this coming week :)"

I got your PM and decided to add it here since I can't figure out a way to add screenshots without providing a link. I started from scratch and when I import my chatacter and add Mesh Customizer the y-axis is up. Once I add the modifier the y-axis is a different direction, so maybe that's why the mirroring

Attached Files:

38. Aerozo

Aerozo

Yeah, that would be it. The mirroring uses the local axis of the mesh so if the mesh (or any of its parents) are rotated the mirroring axis would be too. I'm revising how mirroring is done now so I'll see what I can do.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  39. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Is that something I can expect to be fixed for the next update?

40. Aerozo

Aerozo

Yeah, it's already fixed. PM me with your invoice number and email if you'd like to be a guinea pig for 0.2 ;)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  41. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

PM sent. Thanks.

42. Misciagno

Misciagno

Has anyone tried this with SALSA facial animations? Hopefully changing the facial features wont mess up the animations.

43. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

I have SALSA. I'll test it out and get back to you...

44. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

test.jpg
    Yes it does work. I just added a morph to Ethan's lips and scaled it up to enlarge them, then played the scene.

45. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Aerozo ,

How do you see the Clothing thing working. Could you pretty much take any item of humanoid clothing, place it over (and just larger than) the relevant unassociated humanoid/body area/part and it just becomes a second skinned mesh for that humanoid ie. say you had a totally separate Breastplate Armour 3d asset - nothing to do with your 3d humanoid model - could you then turn that armour in to a new skinned mesh taht would work with that humanoid model and with its animations? That would shortcut an absolute load of loot/clothing/armour modelling!

46. Aerozo

Aerozo

It's already completed and yeah, you can take any mesh and turn it into an item of clothing or just skin it to the surface of any mesh that's already skinned. I'll make a video of it over the weekend. There's some other features as well now, just have to finish off the new examples and submit :)

montyfi likes this.
  47. Duffer123

Duffer123

That's torn it. . Now I'm going to have to buy...

48. montyfi

montyfi

Wow, when it will be available? Can't wait!

49. Aerozo

Aerozo

I'm planning to submit around Tuesday but not sure what Asset Store processing times are like during Christmas. If anyone wants a mostly-finished copy to play around with (read: no example scenes and mouse-over only documentation) then email me with your invoice number and I'll send you a preview :)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    montyfi likes this.
  50. Recon03

Recon03

Should think about a sale for xmas, that gets peoples attention and helps many assets just a thought.