Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ARCHIMATIX PRO Node-based Parametric Modeling for Unity [Unity Awards Finalist]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by roryo, Jun 4, 2015.

1. roryo

roryo

Archimatix 2017-09-13_12-48-08_PM.jpg

Archimatix was selected as a Finalist in the Tools category for the Unity Awards!

And its in the Asset Store!

Archimatix is a powerful and intuitive node-based parametric modeling editor extension that is available for purchase in the Asset Store! The goal for Archimatix is to allow 3D artists and game developers to graphically code the logic of architectural forms and typologies into a "smart model" that can be used to generate hundreds of unique instances that are all of the same art, helping game developers to quickly build out rich, coherent worlds.

Archimatix Pro now features a runtime API so that you can extend Archimatix magic to your players. In-game parametrics allows your players to modify levels on the fly, alter model forms, and provides the ability for you to unleash your players creativity while providing many opportunities for encouraging in-app purchases. Read more about runtime Archimatix here.

At its heart, Archimatix works with 2D parametric shapes which are used to generate meshes. Shapes, Meshers and Repeaters are arranged and linked in a graphical node editor, allowing the logic of the model to be articulated without writing any code. A single shape, say a wall profile, can be reused in multiple Meshers. For example, this poor fellow (a Beggar by Dexsoft in the Asset Store) has been imprisoned by Archimatix atop a Lathe Mesher object that shares a wall profile with the enclosing PlanSweep Mesher object. Archimatix 2015-06-04_08-57-59_AM.jpg
    In this example, a circle shape and the square shape have been merged to make the hybrid plan shape fed into the PlanSweep Mesher. The profile Shape is also fed into the Lathe Mesher. By clicking on the profile Shape palette, the Shape is selected and editable. In realtime, you can play with the profile Shape by dragging handles in the SceneView or the sliders in the Shape palette in the Archimatix editor view. Here is what the arrangement for the scene looks like in the editor:

Archimatix 2015-06-04_11-04-34_AM.jpg

In this example, Robot Kyle is helping to demonstrate a section profile composed of several Shapes added and subtracted together and spun on a Lathe.

Archimatix 2015-05-22_09-13-14_AM copy.jpg

In this shot, you can see the Archimatix library of 2D shapes. You can make your own shapes and add them to the library.

Archimatix 2015-05-22_09-35-56_AM.jpg

I will add updates to this thread often, but you can also follow along on twitter @archimatix and learn more at the support site (under development) at www.archimatix.com.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    silvematt, cwmanley, _M_S_D_ and 21 others like this.
  2. sloopidoopi

sloopidoopi

This looks marvelous! Bookmarked.
    Would be great if this tool bring features of Rhino/Grasshopper to the Unity world.

Xepherys likes this.
  3. lazygunn

lazygunn

Count me in!

RizeoftheSummonds likes this.
  4. roryo

roryo

Thanks @sloopidoopi and @lazygunn!

The PlanSweep is a really fun generator of forms and showcases the Shape merging functionality of @archimatix.

Archimatix 2015-05-20_09-33-15_PM.jpg

EndCaps on a PlanSweep with an "open" plan shape are made using the same section Shape in an extrude. When linked to the PlanSweep palette, the Mesher distributes instances of the extrude to the ends of the open Shape.
    Archimatix 2015-05-21_03-31-53_PM copy.jpg

Archimatix 2015-06-07_08-41-54_AM.jpg
    The black pipes or ducts are two circles merged together and fed into a PlanSweep as a "thickened" solid and also into the main shape merger to subtract out the space of the pipes.

Archimatix 2015-05-21_08-12-35_AM.jpg

Archimatix 2015-05-21_03-44-33_PM.jpg

I am currently fine tuning the breaking angles which can be controlled independently in the U and V directions. More pics soon!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    LSpring likes this.
  5. lazygunn

lazygunn

I'm in love, how would it fare at generating geometry at runtime? Thats one question, the next is, is it fair to ask for an approximate price for this handsome thing, got to plan my finances but this looks like a real winner for all kinds of world building, especially going into the abstract and sci fi like your last two excellent examples

6. roryo

roryo

@lazygunn, thanks for your interest and your questions! I am shooting for $135. Included in that will be the modeling system, a 2D library of parametric shapes and a couple dozen fully rigged parametric buildings and props ready to go for use in games. For example, there will be something like this included in the 3D Library when Archimatix ships:

In the scene view, the model has handles that you can drag to manipulate various parameters in realtime. You can get very different compositions with each move of a slider, sometime with serendipitous results. For example, in this next image, we see two different instances of the same parametric model:

In addition to varying the parameters, you can drop different materials in:

Once you make have model, you can duplicate it and start changing its logic by adding new palettes to the graph editor and relinking. For example, this model of a Renaissance villa is a "permutation" of the Victorian building above. Instead of a single column fed into the ShapeRepeater, an arch with a column pair on either side is fed in. The ShapeRepeater can resize the arch+columns module to fit into its bay, regardless of the length of the building.

Dropping in different materials yields:

This Renaissance villa will also ship with Archimatix. Props will include staircases, bookcases, columns, etc.

As for in-game, runtime parametrics, yes. In runtime, the meshes are generated and displayed very rapidly. While varying a parameter with say a slider, generated meshes are rendered using Graphics.DrawMesh which has little overhead. GameObjects (with colliders, etc.) are created only after a slider drag is completed. Light map UVs are generated with the click of a button or when "freezing" an instance of a model. Even a complex model can be generated with successive iterations at high "frame rates" (in terms of number of iterations per second as the player drags a slider). I will post some videos here soon to give a sense of the speed. That being said, runtime Archimatix will be focused on in an update after the initial release. Most of the work here will be adding logic runtime handles instead of the editor Handles and creating a subset of the codebase that is essential and can be licensed to ship with your games.

Keep the questions coming!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  7. roryo

roryo

The break angles for a mesh are now adjustable as independent controls in the U and V directions. The first column is smooth in both U & V, the second has a low break angle in V, the third has a low break angle in U and the last has low angles in U & V.

Archimatix 2015-06-08_10-04-33_AM.jpg

The values for the break angles are controlled in the Shape input items of the Mesher palettes.

Archimatix 2015-06-08_09-48-33_AM.jpg

8. FreakForFreedom

FreakForFreedom

Woot looks amazing! Bookmarked! :)

9. roryo

roryo

Handles can help you take control of Archimatix objects in the Unity SceneView. When you grab an object from the Archimatix library, it appears in the scene and is automatically selected, revealing the Handles that have been incorporated into it. By clicking and dragging these handles, you can alter various parameters. For example, with the conical object above made from a PlanSweep Generator, clicking on the centroid of the Section shape lets you change the size of the cone and the angle of its slope.

Advanced – Become a Handles Handler! If you interested in making your own parametric objects, you can add Handles to customize how your users will interact with them. If you combine two shapes in a PlanSweep Generator, you will automatically have the Handles associated with the individual shapes. But you can go ahead and add your own handles as well. To do this, open the Handles section on any Palette and click the “+” button. Once the new Handle has been created, you can name it and then fill in the X, Y, and Z fields to tell the handle where it should place itself at any given time. In the fields add numbers or expressions using parameter names from the Controls section and mathematical symbols or functions.

10. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

This looks pretty cool. I imagine you could create like space stations and stuff with it

FreakForFreedom likes this.
  11. roryo

roryo

Thanks @imaginaryhuman! While testing the UV breaks on PlanSweep today, I did not create a space station, but I did indulge in a quick model of a strato-platform from which Robot Kyle can observe the carbon-based life forms on the planet below. I am finding Archimatix so fun to create with, that I need to remind myself to suck it up and just continue coding! I'm also starting to realize that the key to push on with Archimatix development is to just create new scenes often, otherwise I get caught playing–just testing a simple Shape offset or wall thick slider inevitably leads to strato-platforms like this, then the insertion of Quantum Theory mountains, then the tweaking of lighting and fog...

Archimatix 2015-06-09_01-36-28_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2015-06-08_10-56-25_PM.jpg

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  12. roryo

roryo

The real power of Archimatix comes with relation building. Parameters in each palette can be linked to parameters in other palettes. They can be equal or governed by a mathematical relation that you designate. Changing the value of one parameter starts a ripple through the model as all the interdependent parameter values update.

In this example, we see a crankshaft that can push a rod and piston. Rather than trying to do this with physics, the mechanical system works entirely through parametric relations. All the sizes can be changed, including the stroke, piston diameter, etc. Once you have set all your sizes, just animating the rotation of the crankshaft moves the piston up and down in a sinusoidal motion.

Voila_Capture 2015-01-17_05-03-53_PM.jpg

Voila_Capture 2015-01-17_04-50-25_PM.jpg

">

AliAkbar and jason-fisher like this.
  13. roryo

roryo

More with Shape merging: A "thickened" circle is subtracted from and arch Shape and the intersection fed into a separate extrude. Both resulting Shapes are then "thickened." Just resizing the circle and dragging it around creates these variations:

Archimatix 2015-04-28_06-36-52_AM.jpg

Archimatix 2015-04-28_07-05-53_AM.jpg

Archimatix 2015-04-28_07-06-16_AM.jpg

Archimatix 2015-04-28_07-11-13_AM.jpg

14. roryo

roryo

Shape Mergers are done.Now polishing the Meshers code. Then its on to the Repeaters. Getting closer to release!

Here are the three basic Meshers:
    Archimatix 2015-06-02_05-15-25_PM copy.jpg

Vaupell likes this.
  15. lazygunn

lazygunn

This question had to come: Do you have an idea of a release date? And this is a very tight question because its open to so many conditions, but would you consider runtime generation of a collection of meshes (imagine maybe a sci fi town made of your platform kyle is looking down from, as part of a pre-game session generation/loading screen) acceptable on a phone like a samsung galaxy s6? (no prizes for guessing im looking at VR)

16. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Questions!

How does this handle textures?

When you've created a model, is it something you can export as a .obj?

Thanks!

Xepherys likes this.
  17. roryo

roryo

@lazygunn, barring any contingencies, holdups, random acts of Nature, etc. I am hoping for a late July release. But don't tell anyone where this rumor started! For the runtime generation, the models you create in Archimatix behave like any other GameObject with meshes, colliders, etc. So your players can dwell in them, fight in them, jump off them, etc. You could grab a parametric model from the 3D library such as Kyle' strata-platform and in a matter of minutes make a couple dozen instances from it, with no two being exactly alike, building out a sci-fi town. If you want to generate the town procedurally at runtime, this should be fine, but for now would require some code on your part to create the instances programmatically with Perlin noise, etc. For a later release, I'm interested in adding some generative goodies to help make city-building more automated. If you are interested in having your player vary models in runtime, this will take a bit more thought (i.e., with a library of interactive handles for runtime, etc).

Just for fun, here is home-grown VR shot of a recent Archimatix model which is testing the GridRepeater. A Column model goes into the GridNode mesh and a parametric arch goes into the GridBay mesh input:

Archimatix 2015-05-23_04-51-03_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2015-05-22_06-52-02_PM.jpg

jason-fisher likes this.
  18. lazygunn

lazygunn

Ahh I'm not too concerned about in-game editing by the player(although there's definitely an application in that), just being able to generate some unique structures procedurally is of interest to me, not too scared of code, mixing with voxel terrain is mainly the thought. This is looking great though, keep the examples coming

19. roryo

roryo

@sfbaystudios, the uv mapping for textures is automatically generated based on the topology of the Mesher. In a PlanSweep, the u coordinates run around the plan by default and the v coordinates run along the section Shape. This leads to a minimum of distortion, particularly on say molding profiles that turn several 90 degree corners. You can edit the scale and displacement of the texture by controls in that ParametricObjects palette in the Archimatix editor window, or with a widget that appears in the SceneView when you select the object. Materials can be assigned directly to the object by dragging from the material chooser in the ProjectView. If a ParametricObject does not have a material, then a material is inherited from ParametricObjects that it links to. One type of ParametricObject is a Texture object with its own palette. You can link this to the Texture input of other objects to more globally control a texture.

Additional UVs for light mapping, etc are generated after the model is generated. The meshes generated work like any other mesh so they can use PBR materials. Since the meshes are generated algorithmically, one can add curved decals easily where the decal mesh is parallel to another surface, for example:

Archimatix 2015-04-23_01-13-23_PM.jpg
    Archimatix 2015-04-23_04-00-09_PM2.jpg
    BTW, these shots are from a couple of weeks ago. Since then, the stretching around the foundation/sidewalk stones texture has been fixed in the PlanSweep mesher.

.obj export is fairly straight forward. If it is not there in the initial release, it will be in an update shortly there after.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  20. roryo

roryo

You can model extensively before dropping in textures. This "Gun Arch" has been rigged up to deliver many instances before any materials have been added.
    Archimatix 2015-04-24_05-48-00_PM.jpg

The circle is used a few times: to generate the gun parts and the hole in the arch and the front frame. The adding materials:
    Archimatix 2015-04-25_10-57-37_AM.jpg

Just playing with the circle Shape's handle gives:
    Archimatix 2015-04-25_11-12-09_AM.jpg

And adding more circles:

Archimatix 2015-04-25_04-17-51_PM.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  21. roryo

roryo

Multistory structure using FloorRepeater:
    Archimatix 2015-06-14_09-33-20_AM.jpg

The stair rail needs a little work. Here are a couple of variations:
    Archimatix 2015-06-14_09-39-18_AM.jpg

22. Wylaryzel

Wylaryzel

stop teasing - start releasing :) it creates already very nice structures, and seems to have an very intuitive workflow :)

23. roryo

roryo

Thanks @Wylaryzel! In the words of the immortal Yoda, "Not ready is it!" But it is getting closer every day! I appreciate the feedback - it helps to keep me going through the home stretch!

24. roryo

roryo

More fun with Shapes!
    Archimatix 2015-06-01_06-59-13_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2015-06-01_04-46-06_PM.jpg

Xepherys likes this.
  25. roryo

roryo

There is a slider now for adjusting the bevel on an Extrude Mesher.
    Archimatix 2015-06-18_09-48-58_AM.jpg
    Here we see that a single ShaperMerger generates 5 outputs. The difference, intersection and union have been used in three separate extrudes. The union extrude has been given a wall thickness. The rectangle has been offset and rounded.

Archimatix 2015-06-18_09-43-18_AM.jpg

26. roryo

roryo

Robot Kyle is waiting to check you in...
    Archimatix 2015-06-19_07-56-41_AM.jpg

Three variations by resizing the rectangle...

Archimatix 2015-06-19_08-14-35_AM.jpg

I know, I know... stop playing and finish the code!

IndieAner3d and Wylaryzel like this.
  27. SAOTA

SAOTA

Awesome

28. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

Hi

I watched your system from the beginning, pretty awesome!
    Some questions:
    Is it made for runtime generation?
    If i plan to make for example an stairway, can i build something like the stairs-tool in Formz ? ;)

Are there any nodes for basic Math? Is there a way to expose parameters? Switches? Switch railing on/off, for example ?

Also price seemed steep. I really vote for a price in the range of 50$. TerrainComposer was originally at 90$, but after switching to half of price, he probably multiplied his sales, but also his effort in customer support :(.
    Just my 2 cents :)

Thanks
    Michael

29. roryo

roryo

Thanks for your awesome feedback @SAOTA!

30. roryo

roryo

@mensch.mueller, glad to have you here from the start! Per runtime, please see the posts above with @lazygunn.

Thanks for the stair clip from FormZ. Before too long, I imagine there will be many "smart" stair models available for Archimatix purveyed by other Asset Store developers (labelled Archimatix required), since one can rig up a parametric stair pretty easily with controls specific to the type of game one is authoring. Since I would like Archimatix to ship with a couple of parametric stair models included, you have just inspired me to work on these today!

In the meantime, here is a parametric sic-fi stair I noodled with in Archimatix a few months ago:
    Archimatix 2015-06-22_11-45-40_AM.jpg

To make this parametric model from scratch took about 5 minutes. Then in the next few minutes, I generated these variations:
    Archimatix 2015-06-22_11-47-20_AM.jpg

You can get a sense of how a parametric stair might look in operation with its handles in the SceneView in this early Archimatix tutorial on how such a stair can be used in–and controlled by–a larger pararametric model of a multistory building (with FloorRepeater):

In terms of exposing parameters - yes! That is the bread and butter of Archimatix. When you create a parametric "smart" model of your own, you can add any parameters you like of type float, int or bool. You can also add SceneView handles for any of these by describing their type and behavior in the main palette of the model you are authoring. Parameters from different palettes may be linked together to bind them into a relationship and a mathematical expression can be defined for that relationship. In the example of the piston from further above, there are several such relationships defined with trig functions, etc. (these are not visible in the image of the editor window above because they were folded close in the view). You can see a bit of this in the video of the Domino house just above, but sans the mathematical equations in the relations that have been added to Archimatix since that video was captured a few months ago.

As I create the stair model today, I will be sure to add balusters in the StepRepeater and post a tutorial video so you can see how it can be done.

Finally, thanks for your feedback on pricing. Since Archimatix is a fairly rich editor extension with a library of useable example/production parametric models, I am hoping it will sell well in the range of of the ProBuilder by @yahodahan (an excellent, full-featured topological mesh modeler at $95) and ShaderForge by @Acegikmo ($90) to ProCore Complete ($150). However, it is hard to know the dynamics of a marketplace before jumping in and what the optimum price/sell-thru will be. There may be price adjustments and sales along the way, but who can say what the future holds!?!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  31. roryo

roryo

A bit of indulgent "scene-ing" before diving into the stair model:
    Archimatix 2015-06-22_11-34-37_AM.jpg
    Archimatix 2015-06-22_12-47-14_PM.jpg

32. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

@roryo
    Thanks for your detailed explanation. There seemed a lot of possibilities already built in :)
    I would vote for a special timed intro price ;)

Michael

33. roryo

roryo

I'm doing some polishing of the editor window. The palette backgrounds are now color-coded for the type of parametric object they represent. Purple for a Shape, Green for a Mesher, Cyan for a Repeater, etc. This small change makes the workflow much smoother. I'm also fine-tuning the automatic handles. The circle handle now has not only a radius handle, but all so a tangential handle to adjust the number of segments in the circle.

Archimatix 2015-06-23_03-41-15_PM.jpg

We can close the "Controls" foldout on the Circle palette because we can rely on the Scene View handles for editing. Moving the radius and segments handles a bit gives.
    Archimatix 2015-06-23_03-40-36_PM.jpg

34. SAOTA

SAOTA

Nice. Fold outs are important. Amazing work here.

35. roryo

roryo

While I am working on polishing the editor UI, I just thought I would toss out some more bacon ;-) Keep in mind that this is all modeled completely in Unity!

Archimatix 2015-06-22_06-29-35_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2015-06-22_06-30-08_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2015-06-22_06-31-17_PM.jpg

chelnok and FreakForFreedom like this.
  36. FreakForFreedom

FreakForFreedom

So pretty, such wow. :D (Can't wait to try it out!)

37. roryo

roryo

With this clip, you can see why I am spending more time playing than coding! A little mesmerizing...

Voila_Capture 2015-04-14_09-42-21_AM.jpg

38. lazygunn

lazygunn

I recently got a random dungeon generator that would create dungeons out of rooms you created beforehand and randomised some object placements - It's been as the periphery of my thought for a while as it wasn't quite 'random enough', but now i imagine generating rooms with this at runtime, letting the dungeon generator create the dungeon, then generating room contents permutations with this, then passing those to the dungeon generator to be placed semi-randomly (their possible positions would have to be somewhat predetermined by the result of the room generation) within the rooms. And this fits quite well (somewhat) into what i intend to spend some decent time on, and actually finishing.. and it's quite exciting! Kind of like the main game is bloodborne (it wont be nearly so good, or anything like it mind) and the procedural aspect could cook up endless chalice dungeons for people to lose themselves in.

Keep it coming!

39. roryo

roryo

It was at that very moment Robot Kyle began to wonder if he was indeed waterproof...

Archimatix 2015-06-25_05-48-38_PM.jpg

I think I have finally fixed a relentlessly nagging bug with the interactive thumbnail rendering in the ParametricObject palettes (many thanks to a post by @Bunny83 in reply to @kher: cam.Render() saves the day–whoohoo!). Onwards and upwards... Also tweaking the color coding of the palettes. (See? Fom time to time I can resist playing and keep the test scene simple!)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  40. roryo

roryo

@lazygunn, the first release of Archimatix will be focused on parametrics, but I am looking forward to generative add-on's that will create dungeon systems and cities. Already, parametric models can be sized by the Repeaters (e.g., with the stair model being sized by the FloorRepeater in the video above). There is a random generator in the Repeater now to optionally vary the transformations of each item repeated with Perlin noise, but this can go much further in the future.

In this Parisian-like city test, the blocks of buildings are just the same texture on a PlanSweep of the resulting block shape after the streets have been subtracted in a ShapeMerger. An improvement will of course be when the block shape is used as input to size and place parametric buildings.

antoripa and pixelsteam like this.
  41. lazygunn

lazygunn

I like it! I'm assuming facades can be individually created with this, would those facades then be able to conform to the curves in the above? I'm thinking of functionality similar to something like GhostTown on 3ds max, with this tool i guess offering a whole bunch more too

This is ghosttown, which i love but bemoan trickiness with using it with unity - stuff like conforming to terrain, missing OSM import support in the latest builds and so on.

42. roryo

roryo

Thanks for the link to the clip. Very cool.

Yes, in Archimatix, the facades could be parametric and vary themselves around any block shape - as varied textures or with a bit of polygonal detail. The buildings themselves with interiors could also by placed instead of just facades. And of course the random placing of street props is not difficult. That is, in an update or two after the initial release! Veteran AssetStore developers have been reminding me to keep the launch feature set smaller than larger... there just might be some wisdom there!

43. roryo

roryo

Quick study model for a multi-story building. Modeling time: 3 mins!

Archimatix 2015-06-27_06-45-53_AM.jpg Archimatix 2015-06-27_06-36-14_AM.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  44. roryo

roryo

Where in the world is Robot Kyle?

Archimatix 2015-06-27_09-59-51_PM.jpg

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  45. NOT_Lonely

NOT_Lonely

Amazing tool! I really like it! :)

roryo likes this.
  46. Wylaryzel

Wylaryzel

roryo likes this.
  47. roryo

roryo

48. roryo

roryo

Kyle always knew in his metallic heart that one day he would walk out his door, hop the hyper rail and leave the slums of Robot Town far behind, but this was not that day.

RobotSLums.jpg

Arkade and FreakForFreedom like this.
  49. roryo

roryo

Fun with Shapes:

Voila_Capture 2015-04-02_12-37-14_PM2.jpg

Arkade and AdamGoodrich like this.
  50. roryo

roryo

Robot Kyle speaks in defense of the last human

[ Archimatix 2015-06-29_07-12-29_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2015-06-29_05-41-29_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2015-06-29_05-38-48_PM.jpg

In this scene, I was playing with merging shapes. I am constantly amazed by the playfulness of Archimatix! Once the model is rigged (in the parametric sense, as opposed to the animation sense), it is fun to make variations. In the next sequence, only a single rectanglular Shape in the node graph is being manipulated.

Archimatix 2015-06-29_06-28-16_PM.jpg

Here is the nodal arrangement:

Archimatix 2015-06-29_06-20-11_PM.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015