Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIP][ASSET]80s Shoot'em Up Kit

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Gruguir, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Gruguir

Gruguir

Hi all, i'd like to share with you my progress on the upcoming Asset Store package i'm working on.

80s Shoot'em Up Kit is inspired by well known 80s shooters.
    The aim of this asset will be to provide a complete, mobile optimised, 2D project based on Unity native 2D tools.

[Try the WebPlayer]

Done :
    • Core game scripts : player, enemies, collisions, score, combos...

• Core graphics :
      Based upon the NES specifications (well, 16/10 screen ratio NES) and color palette

• Firing system :
      Shoot delay, bullet count limiter, auto-fire button and fire rate penalty - fire rate penalty is applied on (regular) fire button kept down (encourages intensive button press)

• Object Pooling

• Event system (checkpoint, text, sounds ...)

• Keyboard, joystick, mouse, and touch screen, non interfering inputs

To do :

• Player items (speed up, bomb, laser...)
    • More enemies and content
    • Simple menu UI
    • Project and scripts cleanup
    • Full C sharp conversion considered
    • Documentation
    Althrough package is not ready yet, i'd love to have some comments and feedback !

EDIT : The package is now live on the Asset Store
    EDIT2 : This is the WIP section, for the support please go to this thread.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  2. netravelr

netravelr

So far so good, do the levels/events have to be hand crafted, or do you have support for a continuous mode in the future? Most of what I'd like to see is already in your to-do, so I guess I'm looking forward to that. Good job!

3. Gruguir

Gruguir

Thanks ! Elements are placed manually and if you meant procedural levels it is not planned at this point.
    All the game runs and loops in a unique scene. When the player die, before reloading the scene, data are stored in Player Prefs.

4. Gruguir

Gruguir

just updated the WebPlayer with some upgrades

5. Gruguir

Gruguir

New version now with bomb and blast items. This is a list of available upgrades :

6. robinball

robinball

Looks interesting. I love old NES and SNES games. I'd love to make one. How flexible is it going to be? It looks very much like Gradius right now. Could other shooter types be made? Different power up structures? What about bosses?

Sorry, I can't play the example right now, I'm on the iPad, so apologies if this is clear in the demo. I'll try it out when I can. Very keen to see how this develops. :)

7. Gruguir

Gruguir

Hi, it looks like the NES version of Gradius on purpose, but it is not limited to.
    The purpose of the asset is to provide an example structure. It will give you the base for an horizontal shooter, but it should not be difficult with some scripting knowledge to adapt to a vertical one.
    The upgrade system is generic (no gradius-like bottom bar for upgrade selection).
    I'll add boss or mini-boss example that basically should just be seen as enemies that disable the scrolling until they are dead.
    If you try the demo i would like to know what you think about it :)

8. robinball

robinball

Cool. Thanks for the extra info. I've checked out the demo and it looks good. Just the sort of thing I'm interested in.

I'm an artist rather than a coder. Is it possible to use for a non-coder? Or is it a framework that's more suited to a programmer than an artist?

9. Gruguir

Gruguir

It is hard to reply without knowing your programing skills, but it is not suitable for purely non-coder.
    I do my best to comment the code and to document the project, so it can be a good way to learn though.
    This will not be a "shooter game generator", but on the other side it gives more flexibility.

10. casperjeff

casperjeff

The sound/music bits are awespectacular...!
    Lerping of the player movement is a little laggy - could tighten it up a bit.

11. robinball

robinball

Ok. Yeah it might be a bit beyond me. I can still copy and paste and alter attributes though :) I'm really looking more at construction kit type systems which can largely be made with dragging and dropping components. Things like the upcoming Platformer Pro Asset.

I'll still take a look though when it's further along. Thanks.

12. Gruguir

Gruguir

Sorry for delay but i took a few days off. For the music i use the combo FL Studio + FamiSynth free vst plugin, and SFXR (also free) for sound fx.
    About the mouse movement, you have to grab some speed up items but maybe i can still improve the lerping.

13. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

This looks awesome! I played the demo and was filled with joy. We all love the old 80's look, do we not? Also, PM if you need any help with the pixel art.

14. casperjeff

casperjeff

yeah -I tried that in my game (having some ships LESS maneuverable than others (or controlled via powerup) but my players were way turned off by it - Although I did add a sensitivity slider so they could tweak based on whatever

15. mimminito

mimminito

Looks great! Currently working on a retro shooter, some of the features in this kit could come in handy. Any chance to purchasing a beta version?

16. Gruguir

Gruguir

@Silver Games you just made my day :)
    @casperjeff yes i was also worried about that, but i think this is an option that devs expect to see in this kind of games

17. Gruguir

Gruguir

Thanks for your interest, i would prefer to stick to the asset store, it should not be too long before i release the first version.
    Actually i'm in the process of cleaning up the code, then i'll have to document the package.
    I would also like to translate the code to C sharp, but this could be postponed to a future update.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  18. mimminito

mimminito

No worries. Asset Store is preferred by me as well, easier to manage.
    I primarily work in C#, so I would love to see a port (or I would look into porting it myself for use in my projects).

19. Gruguir

Gruguir

20. Gruguir

Gruguir

New version, swapped arts with more generic graphics.

21. Gruguir

Gruguir

22. mimminito

mimminito

Great news! Thanks for letting us know :D

23. fabiobh

fabiobh

it's possible to use this kit to create a shooter game in portrait mode instead of using landscape?

24. Gruguir

Gruguir

No, not out of the box, however game mecanics are not 'strictly' tight to horizontal scrolling. You would have to tweak the kit yourself.

25. fabiobh

fabiobh

If I purchase this package from you in Unity Asset Store, I could use the images to create my game? Including the icon?

There's any problem with the web player example? Because when I try to play, my shots don't hit any enemy

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  26. Gruguir

Gruguir

you can use all the content of the package itself for your game

27. Gruguir

Gruguir

I don't know what happened with the webplayer build, i just compiled a new build and it works like a charm (thanks for notifying this !).

28. Fortitude3D

Fortitude3D

Cute, nice and old school..

Gruguir likes this.
  29. jingray

jingray

I have a question. In core game, main camera idle (not move) or main camera move?!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  30. Gruguir

Gruguir

@vudong the camera is moving. It's handled at LateUpdate() in PlayerScript.

jingray likes this.
  31. Gruguir

Gruguir

This is the old WIP thread, support thread here.

jingray likes this.