Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ARCHIMATIX PRO Node-based Parametric Modeling for Unity [Unity Awards Finalist]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by roryo, Jun 4, 2015.

1. roryo

roryo

I finally added a Texture node: a modest, but important feature. In this model of a segment of a tree trunk, the Extrude node has been given a bark texture and a Texture node of TreeRings has been fed into the End Cap Texture of the Extrude.

Archimatix 2016-02-06_11-37-54_PM.jpg

If you expand the Controls of the Texture node, you can adjust the scaling and positioning of the texture independently.

2. roryo

roryo

On returning from a long sea journey filled with endlessly repetitive routine, it pleases Robot Kyle to no end to find the planks of the dock delightfully irregular, thanks to the recent addition of Perlin Noise-based Jitter controls to the Archimatix Repeater nodes!
    Archimatix 2016-02-09_08-07-05_PM.jpg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  3. mangax

mangax

jitter and noise ? interesting! it would be nice as well if i can set min and max for the jitter that occures in any axis..

the only thing am wondering about is how colliders are generated along side complex meshes?
    it would be nice if you provide us sample/screen shot of colliders generated from the screens you posting. for example in the last pic, how colliders looks like?

KWaldt likes this.
  4. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Wow... just wow.

This is something seriously amazing you have here. The editor for it looks very robust while still managing to be clean and looks very intuitive to use while the models it produces are amazing in their look and the complexity you can create.

Thumbs up and good job to you man, its a rare thing to show off something in the WIP section that will get me to leave a comment.

5. roryo

roryo

Thanks, @RuinsOfFeyrin! I really appreciate your feedback. Helps me slog through the home stretch towards release!

6. roryo

roryo

@mangax, I hope these images will help to explain how you can control the collider configurations:

Here, each plank is a separate object with a BoxCollider.
    Archimatix 2016-02-14_01-37-17_PM.jpg

Now, in the Collider option pulldown of the plank node, I chose Convex Mesh so the collider conforms more closely to the beveled shape allowing rolling a bit when rigid bodies are attached. You could also choose just MeshCollider, but if you want these things to have rigid bodies, then Convex is better.
    Archimatix 2016-02-14_01-37-31_PM.jpg

Here, I checked the "Combine Meshes" option on the LinearRepeater node. This means the whole plankway is now one mesh. I chose BoxCollider in the Collider pulldown of the LinearRepeater node. In this case, your character would see visual irregularity, but pass smoothly along its surface. Archimatix 2016-02-14_01-38-38_PM.jpg

You can switch the Collider of the LinearRepeater to MeshCollider while keeping the planks combined. This will let your character bump up an down as it walks along.
    Archimatix 2016-02-14_01-38-54_PM.jpg

Finally, I switched the Collider of the LinearRepeater to Convex Mesh. Your character would still feel a bit of the irregularity of the plank way, but the motion would be a little smoother. Also, now the whole assembly is ready for a rigid body if you want to behave as a monolithic piece while bouncing off other rigid bodies.
    Archimatix 2016-02-14_01-39-02_PM.jpg

So collider design with assemblies of objects is a matter of what to combine and what Collider to select from the pulldown menu.

Thanks for asking about this @mangax, it helps me build pages for documentation!

7. roryo

roryo

Also @mangax, you will be able to control the jitter range independently for each axis of translation, rotation and scaling. I will post images of the Jitter node soon.

8. _GimbalLock_

_GimbalLock_

3 Things...

1). This tool is AMAZING!!! Pending a financial disaster on my end I am picking it up. Day one.
    2). Always happy to beta test :), looking to post a WIP thread for my game this week.
    3.) This may have been discussed. But would Allegorithmic substances be supported with this? Was just curious if it had been considered/tested.

S_Darkwell likes this.
  9. roryo

roryo

Hi @_GimbalLock_, thanks for the support! A new beta cycle should be starting in a couple of weeks and we need all the help we can get! To see an examples of an Allegorithmic substances on an Archimatix model, please see the example on the previous page on this thread (page 5, post #241).

S_Darkwell likes this.
  10. S_Darkwell

S_Darkwell

@roryo: I've been following this thread for months now. This will be a day-one purchase for me as well! :)

I would be honored to partake in the beta as well, if you would be interested!

Thank you and be well.
    - S.

11. roryo

roryo

Thanks, @S_Darkwell! And I am glad to here that you are interested in helping out with some beta testing. I will post a note when the next beta cycle begins.

S_Darkwell likes this.
  12. SAOTA

SAOTA

Good progress!!

roryo likes this.
  13. KWaldt

KWaldt

The thing with the colliders looks interesting, can't wait till you release Archimatix~
    I can also help you with the beta (I have some blueprints from rooms I build in Maya that I'd like to try rebuilding in Archimatrix too check how fluid it works in a real-world example and compared to traditional 3D software), hopefully I won't miss the note when the next cycle begins.
    Is this going to be the final beta, or are there still a lot of things to be done?

And good work!
    - KW

14. roryo

roryo

@KWaldt - glad to have you on board as well! I think the next beta cycle will be getting close to release candidate, but that depends on how many bugs you guys find! The last beta gang found a lot of big iron bugs that involved some substantial revisions of data structures, etc. I have that tsunami of bug reports under control, but with all the changes, I am now re-polishing workflows, etc. I am hoping that the next cycle will be less seismic in its proportions ;). But of course one never know what Krakens you guys will release when you start trying to use it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    S_Darkwell likes this.
  15. vrpostcard

vrpostcard

Roryo, If you need any more people, I'd love to help with the next round of beta testing as well. I'm looking at using archimatix to generate pedestrian bridge and public space shelter designs for our company.

16. roryo

roryo

Thanks @vrpostcard - Your project idea for Archimatix sounds interesting and should be a great addition to the beta Krakens that will assault the poor, unsuspecting codebase.

17. mangax

mangax

Thanks for the in-depth info about how colliders is generated! it looks solid! :)
    can't wait for it's release!!

18. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Hey,

So this may of been mentioned or covered already and i just missed it in all the posts, if so i apologize.

So it seems you can save your "blueprint" (im not sure thats the right word but i forget what you were calling them) and change it, modify it, expand on it, etc.

So now the next logical question is, is there a way to share "blueprints" with other users? Say I make a very nice setup for some crazy building... am I able to share this in a nice easy fashion so that other users can make use of it and edit.modify.expand on it?

_GimbalLock_, pcg and mangax like this.
  19. roryo

roryo

Great question @RuinsOfFeyrin! A node graph in Archimatix is called a ParametricObject. Any parametricObect can be saved to your library (with all its linked subnodes). The data format is json - a text format that can easily be mailed to a collaborator. If your collaborators drag the file anywhere in their asset folder, it will show up in their AX library and be ready for them to use. It could be a subsystem such as a modifiable scissor-back staircase or an entire building like a parametric Roman temple or a space station. When they select it from their library, it will have all the interactive handles ready to go.

In a later release, I am hoping to serve up an exchange so that people can more easily share parametricObjects. For example, if in the Archimatix library you search for "stair", your local options would come up first and then items from the exchange be listed below them.

Now, if you labor to create a beautiful and versitle paramerticObject that you would prefer to sell, then you could upload it to the asset store. You could name any price, but require the buyer to purchase a copy of archimatix in order to run it (since the buyer would need the AX engine to run the parametrics). Alternatively, you could make any number of "frozen" instances of your ParametricObject as standard prefabs and sell them on the asset store with no requirement for the buyer to own a license for the AX engine.

When AX ships, it will have a complimentary library of interactive ParametricObjects for people to call into their scenes and start manipulating. When you call up a ParametricObject from the library, you will see its node graph and have the option to alter it by adding and deleting nodes and then save the edited version back into the library under a new name. The library is already fully functional in the beta!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    KWaldt likes this.
  20. roryo

roryo

Just finished the TextureTool nodes for Archimatix. We are getting there!
    Archimatix 2016-02-18_07-22-05_PM.jpg

In these three images, you can see how the node graph can be simplified by stowing subnodes to leave the main objects visible. These objects could then be connected to a Grouper node and folded in to it so that only one node is left representing the entire ParametricModel.
    Archimatix 2016-02-18_07-26-55_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2016-02-18_07-28-22_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2016-02-18_07-39-12_PM.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  21. roryo

roryo

The most challenging aspect of developing a parametric modeler is to resist the temptation to endlessly play with variations! Archimatix 2016-02-18_09-56-58_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2016-02-18_09-55-19_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2016-02-18_10-00-56_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2016-02-18_10-03-09_PM.jpg

Ok, back to work, me!

GuinUK and coldpizzapunk like this.
  22. roryo

roryo

Of course, the other time pit lurking in the development grass is ever-present danger of endlessly and addictively playing with Unity 5's amazing image effects.
    Archimatix 2016-02-18_10-45-24_PM.jpg

Realtime GI with Screen Space Ambient Occlusion, Antialiasing, Depth of Field and Screen Space Reflection sure do cast Archimatix parametric models in a good light!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    coldpizzapunk and elbows like this.
  23. Sabathius

Sabathius

*cough* Alright, now you're just gloating! Quit torturing us and get this on the asset store! *crosses arms and puts on pouty-face*

roryo likes this.
  24. roryo

roryo

Even Robot Kyle is not immune to the lure of the new Standard Shader - don't think we didn't notice you upped your Metallic value for this shoot, Kyle!

Archimatix 2016-02-18_11-07-16_PM.jpg

25. roryo

roryo

@Sabathius, LOL - you know that kind of encouragement only helps! Now unfold those arms and smile... Robot Kyle and I are getting back to work this very instant!

26. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

@roryo

Yeah - can you duplicate Robot Kyle's to help you go faster ;)

Looking forward to seeing this (hopefully) soon!

roryo likes this.
  27. roryo

roryo

@puzzlekings, thanks for the support! Just between you and me though, I think Robot Kyle might be a bit of a slacker on the development front... I haven't seen any code commits from him in a while!

Archimatix 2016-02-19_08-16-11_AM.jpg

coldpizzapunk, kittik and Teila like this.
  28. Wright

Wright

Looks incredible. I bet it's gonna be one of the bestselling extensions on Asset Store. Really the useful stuff that seems to be done right. Great job!

pixelsteam and roryo like this.
  29. roryo

roryo

Wow! This kind of encouragement, or, this kind encouragement, will only help me get this thing out the door faster! Thanks so much, @Wright!

S_Darkwell, AliAkbar and Wright like this.
  30. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

Amazing work @roryo! I can't wait to use this. I'd be happy to help with beta testing. Keep up the awesome work

31. roryo

roryo

Thanks @AliAkbar! And congrats on Dungeon Architect - look amazing!

AliAkbar and S_Darkwell like this.
  32. roryo

roryo

Today I am adding dimensioning gizmos to the Repeaters...
    Archimatix 2016-02-25_12-38-20_PM.jpg

mangax and S_Darkwell like this.
  33. AliAkbar

AliAkbar

34. roryo

roryo

Having fun with Perlin modifiers today! Here is the LinearRepeater modified by two JitterTool nodes - Scaling and Rotation and then displaced on the Y-axis by the Terrain.

Archimatix 2016-02-29_09-33-49_AM.jpg Archimatix 2016-02-29_10-01-20_AM.jpg
    Archimatix 2016-02-29_10-19-58_AM.jpg

Seneral and mangax like this.
  35. SirStompsalot

SirStompsalot

The above is a crazy nice feature!

roryo likes this.
  36. mangax

mangax

Hi!

There is something i was wondering about colliders , can i for example (from the first screen you attached)

keep the box collider checked in the extrude node, and make the mesh merged in linear repeater node?
    Can i keep the previous node collider settings set, while having next node mesh set as combined?

i see that merging meshes reduces drawcalls alot, plus having box colliders enabled in previous extrude node is good for physics performance! :)

thanks

37. roryo

roryo

@mangax - another excellent question! I think what you are asking is can a combined mesh have multiple box colliders that behave as a single collider rather than the combined mesh having a more intricate mesh collider? This is indeed possible, but would require a bit more coding: the first way of implementing this that comes to mind is to create a box mesh for each plank and combine the box meshes but without adding a Renderer. The combined boxes mesh would receive a MeshCollider and be the parent of the combined detailed mesh (with no collider). The combined box mesh would control the assembly's behavior in physics with a simpler collider but look as detailed as the beveled planks. I think I will hold off on adding this feature, but this would be a good option in the future.

Sabathius likes this.
  38. roryo

roryo

Thanks for the feedback @SirStompsalot! It helps me understand which features are interesting to people versus the features that are not so useful but just dang fun to work on. Perlin modifiers are certainly fun to work on and looks like they will be useful to you as well!

39. roryo

roryo

Just add Jitter to the FloorRepeater:
    Archimatix 2016-02-29_01-04-27_PM.jpg Archimatix 2016-02-29_01-05-58_PM.jpg
    Archimatix 2016-02-29_01-04-51_PM.jpg Archimatix 2016-02-29_01-02-33_PM.jpg Archimatix 2016-02-29_01-47-04_PM.jpg

40. roryo

roryo

The architect in me couldn't let it go without adding some glass and an elevator core!

Archimatix 2016-02-29_03-06-00_PM.jpg Archimatix 2016-02-29_03-04-35_PM.jpg Archimatix 2016-02-29_03-05-35_PM.jpg

Now on to StairRepeater and SpiralStairRepeaters....!

radimoto, elbows, mangax and 2 others like this.
  41. roryo

roryo

I don't know exactly what it is, but I know it can be modeled from scratch in Unity using four Archimatix nodes!
    Archimatix 2016-03-02_11-29-14_AM.jpg

Archimatix 2016-03-02_11-32-50_AM.jpg
    This model was created by feeding an extruded rounded rectangle into a GridRepeater with a JitterTool for scaling and rotation.

Archimatix 2016-03-02_11-29-50_AM.jpg

freakdave and coldpizzapunk like this.
  42. roryo

roryo

Just a quick study model while fine-tuning the GridRepeater SceneView handles.

Archimatix 2016-03-07_07-42-53_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2016-03-07_07-43-14_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2016-03-07_07-33-49_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2016-03-07_09-26-10_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2016-03-07_07-38-37_PM.jpg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    S_Darkwell, kittik, Sabathius and 2 others like this.
  43. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Oh boy, count me in!

roryo likes this.
  44. roryo

roryo

angrypenguin likes this.
  45. Teila

Teila

Ooo, really like that building!! I can now see how useful it could be in a game like ours. :) Fabulous!

Makes me want to wait to build our city until this is out.

GuinUK and roryo like this.
  46. roryo

roryo

@Teila, it looks like your city-building project will be putting AX through its paces! Its nice to have feedback on the sorts of things people would like to use Archimatix for.

47. Teila

Teila

Definitely. I am currently building it in Maya by hand...lots of work, and I tend to change my mind about how I am doing it and starting again. lol I am building a large medieval city..which will be the focus of the game. It will be in "sectors" so we can maximize performance for multiplayer.

I think your tool may really help make it look interesting and unique. :) Now..you just have to let us play with this tool! lol

48. roryo

roryo

@Teila, if you find yourself changing your mind often then you will be comforted by the idea that good design is the result of an iterative process. I don't know if its true, but I sure is comforting to think so!

If you have any concept art you would are interested in sharing, it would help me gravitate towards library items to ship with AX that could speed you along on your world-building adventure.

49. roryo

roryo

Robot Kyle is waiting for his ship to come in...

Archimatix 2016-03-08_03-10-21_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2016-03-08_03-10-50_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2016-03-08_03-11-10_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2016-03-08_03-11-37_PM.jpg

GuinUK likes this.
  50. roryo

roryo

Putting some icing on the node graph editor view: now there is a concise version of the Shape Library as a menu on the left hand side. The icons for the Shape items will soon have a consistent color.

Archimatix 2016-03-08_04-23-27_PM.jpg

Archimatix 2016-03-08_04-31-18_PM.jpg

You can zoom way into the node graph view...

Archimatix 2016-03-08_04-43-48_PM.jpg

And way out...
    Archimatix 2016-03-08_04-45-41_PM.jpg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016