Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

WIP : Age of Survival Early Access

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by rpg_gamer, Apr 1, 2014.

1. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

Hi there everyone, just wanting to share some of the work so far on my project Age of Survival

Age of Survival is a modern survival horror game from Seattletek

more info on the game can be found on the website

http://ageofsurvivalgame.com/

THE OFFICIAL STEAM PAGE IS NOW UP!!!!!!!

http://store.steampowered.com//app/369080?beta=0

*EDIT 7/27/15
    Age of Survival is now available for pre-sale on the humble store!

This means you will receive steam cd keys on Aug 25th. The benefits are you get to purchase the title at a discounted rate, be the first awesome person on your block to play it, and you get to support charity!

10% of the profit goes to children's charities like the american red cross, child's play charity, and a few others

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/ageofsurvival_storefront

OLD INFORMATION, NO LONGER PERTINENT (project has gone zombieless, focus is on going more in depth on new survival tactics, big game hunting, and underwater exploration):

OLD VIDEOS REMOVED. SEE STEAM PAGE / WEBSITE FOR CURRENT INFO.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  2. OffThHeezay91

OffThHeezay91

The environment looks great! I think the "crafting" is a good move. I see a lot of successful games implementing craft-able things and its always fun. Good luck.

3. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

thank you good sir!

forgot to mention a modular housing system is also in the works which will inter twine with the crafting system. So the players will be able to, for instance, collect a bunch of wood.... craft them into planks, then foundations and doors etc. Which they will be able to set out on their own property.

Players will find "property" using a land survey skill, and then be able to take over that area of the woods to build on.

4. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

Game looks fairly polished ...the only thing I saw that needed a fix was the grass haha it shouldn't all animate at once at the same time in the same direction haha but that's barely something to consider - Well done my friend it looks ready!

5. primus88

primus88

It does show a lot of work was done. The only annoying thing for me was the footstep sound. Ofc, is very easy to correct, but frankly that is the only bad thing I wanted to pick on. You still have a massive workload and I will be impressed when you manage to make the combat work. AI and combat will be by far the most problematic part, I hope you have what it takes to get it through.

Good luck.

6. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

combat works right now :) including pvp

I haven't done a vid yet because the enemy ai, and server side colliders have not yet been implemented. BUT combat damage / looting does in fact work.

give me a couple weeks and server side colliders, and ai will be working. once ai and server side collision is in place I will be uploading a playable client i'll be sending invite codes out for on the website forum.

is soon to come!

hehe and agree about the grass, i''m just using wind zones to control that.............. would love to collab with a few more people, as i'm doing all this myself. ton of work.

edit :

also rtp got updated to 3.1 today which fixed a lot of the terrain material issues i was having. woot. i was hiding far distances in the vids on purpose. was having an issue with the fog and rtp. all fixed now, expect some more vids up soon!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  7. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

I would love to collab but I got my hands busy too - I would recommend asking for help in the collaboration section - choose wisely because your going to get a lot of people wanting to help you on your game - because its that good.

8. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

thank you good sir :)

I am definitely really flattered by all the good words! More updates to come on the project soon, next things coming into place are some ai for the enemies, and the ever exciting modular housing system!

if things keep going smoothly, following my feature and release schedule, I should have this submitted to steam by mid / late july. Model is going to be pay once (thinking 25 - 30 bucks). I don't like subscriptions. there is going to be an online store though, but the items you can purchase there won't make you a more powerful player, or give you advantages over other people. Just things like clothing, cool parts for your house / land... pets.. yes there are pets in plan, and they're going to be cool ones, since this is a zombie apocalypse!

9. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

also forgot to mention this project is zone / instance based. Terrains page (not infinitely, i'm using unity terrains instead of a voxel system), so they will be really pretty huge.

Planned are five main world instances. the videos so far show the "central" instance, players will be able to travel north, south, east, and west of the central instance. Each instance will be just as large as the central instance.

Also planned are some "VIP lounge" instances if you will. Places that only certain players will be able to hang out in, be it someone who purchased a lounge seat from the online store, or a kickstarter supporter (yes ks is coming sometime soon, ks is for help funding the initial costs of servers)

10. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

modular housing system is close to in place, and videos coming soon!

11. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

The next large update Age of Survival comes may 17th, a few days later the game should be ready to play in early alpha mode. Currently since the last video posted I've added 150 more items to loot, there's around 400 now, would like to get that list up to about 1000 or more items, which includes crafting recipes for cooking, leatherworking, etc. Also have added an entirely new procedural road system, with mesh roads, highways including overpasses and bridges, intersections, and all kind of side road objects. And dynamic water which will of course be swimable. Using the new character controller, the player will be able to swim, climb, evade (double tap direction evade), and even fly for a limited amount of time (through drinking red balls. because it gives you wings. lol)

12. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

also trying to get a few more likes on the Age of Survival facebook, to help unlock the ad features and all that jazz. Thank you guys, you rock!

facebook.com/ageofsurvivalgame

13. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

My Friend I gave you a like on Facebook - did you say you have added hundreds of collectibles already ....that is crazy....
    You know you should PM me your Skype...I might have a bunch of assets to help you and who knows what else....I definitely want to see this project kick off it looks really good!

I would like to see more of the game and it looks like your doing it on your own....you could use some assistance where I can. :)

14. im

im

i know whose assets your using ;)

very nice, like what you've done, can't wait to see it in steam workshop, you've got my vote!

here is some random feedback that i came up with after reading the posts and watching the videos and going to your website ...

there is already some competition, long list of steam, and more is coming, so consider lowering the price a bit, around $10 for early access would work

also it needs a bit of polishing so its to a level of other early access games of this time...

and whatever you do no microtransactions!

also consider adding self hosting instead of requiring dedicated server...

best regards

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  15. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

i'm actually using several publicly available model packs and asset packs as i've mentioned in the first couple of posts :) (until a team of awesome 3d modelers comes along and replaces them).... which is usually how it goes with a one man indie team. I'm mostly all programmer, and do good with environments and nature type models. not claiming more :) unistorm, terrain composer, world composer, lots of default terrain textures and bootcamp assets..... a few zombie apocalypse packs, uma, atavism. also now using road architect for the roads instead of easyroads, like road architect a lot better. definitely using packs available from the asset store, it costs quite a good deal of cash as well.

using worldcomposer and real world satellite images for the terrains now! check out a couple screenshots

$ranier 1.jpg

$ranier2.jpg

16. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

new videos coming of the new character system in action on these new terrains, which is based on the CharacterSystem v3 asset pack available on the store.

what else..........

animals are from protofactor, which also happen to be the same animal models that are used in the game Rust. Lots of devs use public models, there's nothing wrong with doing so :)

17. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

Here is a vid of the first test of the new terrains! A little more tweaking to be done to get the mid range distances more crisp, good start! This is pre rocks and buildings and other details. grass and trees in though

18. SilverStorm

SilverStorm

Subbed and Liked. Good Job.

Next time though see if you can get it to around 3 - 7 minute mark - as that's the attention span for most viewers.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  19. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

thank yah! hehe. yeah next one will be a bit shorter, wanted to show that the map is truly huge :)

20. primus88

primus88

rpg_gamer I have some feedback regarding your video.
    It is boring. You should've made that instead of 19 minutes (yes... 19 minutes...) into something like 1 minute. Did you seen EvEs online video that showcase ship size? You could've done something like that for the size of your terrain (though there is nothing amazing about a large terrain that uses raw terrain data). After showing how big is the terrain compared to the character, you could've just extremely fast forward through the sprint video and there you go. You would've get a lot more reaction with that.

21. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

so skip through the video if it's boring........................ seriously. lol

thanks for your opinion :) if you don't want to watch the vid don't watch it, it's to show off the environment, which it does very well.

22. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

it's a "because I can" video. Do I expect a single person to sit through 20 mins of running? jump around through it, or don't watch it altogether. :) it's not an official trailor or anything, just simply what it says it is, showing off some environment.

dont care for it? don't watch it. thanks.

23. DaveHoskins

DaveHoskins

Can I suggest something with the footstep sounds?
    Try playing both samples at the same time and vary the volume inversely for each.

Something like:-

float value = Random.value;
    sound1.volume = value;
    sound2.volume = 1.0f - value;

That way the sound on the whole will be even in volume, but infinitely variable in texture. Rather than that 'crunch, crunch, crunch, clop, clop, crunch, crunch, clop, clop, clop etc...' :)

Dave.

24. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

^^^ thank yah good sir!

footstep sounds are being worked on of course, they will be different footstep sounds based on different materials that the character controller hits. and yeah, definitely working on the volume as well :)

and about the 20 min video, i meant that all in the kindest way with a smile of course :) none of the videos yet are official, these aren't the vids that will be shown on steam, or in press packs. just very early alpha vids showing some features! and some might be a little long or boring, or not for everyone.

25. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

How about absolutely nobody watches any of your videos? Then they can save the precious minutes of their lives.

In case the people on this forum didn't know, you can actually beat the original Super Mario Bros. in 5 minutes. So instead of watching a 20 minute video of nothing... you could actually beat Super Mari Bros. 4 times.

26. primus88

primus88

I see no reason for discussion to become hot. No harm done here.
    The thing is rpg_gamer that you know what is in your video. You know where to skip to it. The rest of the people don't know. What if they skip and lose something interesting? There is that old saying: less is more ;)

Think about it.

27. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

watch them or don't. :) i'm not trying to make anyone mad up there ol antman. lol kids online can be pretty silly, look dude it's a youtube video. watch it or do not, but the fact is i'm getting about a hundred views a day on that video alone. :)

anyways as i was here to post :

first batch of gun 3d models, and weapon attachments being implemented into Age of Survival!

guns :
    http://ageofsurvivalgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=782

weapon attachments :
    http://ageofsurvivalgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=783

more to come very soon

28. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

i just want to get along with everyone, and am only trying to share my work :)

29. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

Latest update for Age of Survival, this vid shows how I spawn mobs in game at runtime, via the admin console. Spawning normal attackable mobs, and displaying how spawning things like ores and trees for mining and woodcutting works. and getting gestures, and coordinated effects working. This is running live on a remote server that is ready for anyone to log into once i make the client available mid this month. I'm 60 miles from where the server is hosted, and you can see there is no spawn / despawn lag or delay at all :)

30. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

Here is the download link to the newest version of the pre alpha for Age of Survival

http://aos.acrowdapart.net/Age_of_Survival_pre_alpha_installer_0_2_5_1.exe

there are a ton of features not yet implemented, and some bugs still. It's fully working, and server is always up otherwise. I am still in the process of traveling the entire world and spawning mobs, so in the weeks to come the world will be come more populated. there are several areas to find, and more info can be found on the website http://ageofsurvivalgame.com/

31. im

im

love the new terrain!

32. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

thank yah! Also on the weekend of the 24th, server gets upgraded and will accept 1,500 concurrent players. Should also have the modular housing system in place at least for testing by then.

33. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

another instance added to the south of Mt. Rainier that's just as large, you'll be able to travel all the way down to packwood. (about 30 miles down from the mountain).

34. sandbaydev

sandbaydev

35. Samuel411

Samuel411

You should add a coldness bar or a system that keeps almost nude players from going into the snow for long or fully clothed player going into a 130 degree desert.

36. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

New version of Age of Survival has been uploaded, tis free to play while still in pre-alpha stages. go download it. tell yer buddies :)

maps of the worlds, crafting recipes, and other info can be found on the wiki link on the website.

v 0.2.6 release notes

- melee attack animation added
    - clothing added, jeans and shirts in 8 colors
    - tac vest added (male only in 0.2.6)
    - lots of crafting recipes added including clothing
    (press C to craft)
    - weapon positions fixed and more weapons added
    - added south world, and vip manor instances
    - many more details added in towns
    - testing water system and underwater cam
    - consumable items are now consumable and add to health when
    consumed (food, bandages)
    - LOD distances improved

http://ageofsurvivalgame.com/download.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Survival

37. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

and a short vid of testing some of the new clothes, weapons, and one of the new instances

38. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

39. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

40. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Good job, I really like this project. I am making a game similar but you have lots more done :)

41. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

^^^ thanks man :) survival games are fun.

42. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

#3 out of all the concepts on steam at the moment! Woohoo! Thank you guys, and much <3

43. Edwin F

Edwin F

What networking solution do you use?

44. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

using photon at the moment, and may stick with it, but will scale up to more ccu's soon.

official steam concept trailer :)

45. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

46. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

Still on the first page! Thank you guys! New video of the revised crafting and inventory system coming in just a couple days. The crafting system is based after the minecraft crafting style, in which you drag items to a grid in certain patterns and combinations to craft other items.

There are currently a little over 300 items in game, which will make for a large amount of combinations and craftable items!

47. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

alrighty!

First tests of the new crafting and inventory system for Age of Survival. Still in early stages, video shows how a player would come up to a resource node (tree, ore, etc) and interact with it (beat on it, chop it). Nodes drop items which the player is able to pick up, and then combine in the crafting window shown on the right. The crafting system works on a grid system much like minecraft, and will provide for a ton of possible crafting outcomes!

Loot icons, and the appearance of the GUI are not final, and are subject to change.

If you like what yah see, and think you might want to play it, visit the steam concept page and show some <3. Thank you all again!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=295264958&searchtext=

48. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

Alrighty, one last bump for this before it goes off the front page. Am going to be submitting Age of Survival on steam for sale as an early alpha at the end of the month, and will need lots of support to get there. Currently have a concept page up on steam, and is doing well. If it's something you want to play and see more of, let me and the steam community know with some <3. Much thanks!, and thanks to Chris of RKDN for coming through with the new cover!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=295264958&searchtext=

49. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

50. rpg_gamer

rpg_gamer

early gameplay vid of some of the new features from Age of Survival : new areas, drinking from the river, looting ores and trees, menus, inventory, dev / debug console, and using (eating) an item. Water is in very early stages (no sound yet, and shader not final). Basic early functionality is in, just refining it all down now.