Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GAIA - AAA terrain generator, procedural texturing, planting and scene creation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, May 21, 2015.

1. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yep you can augment existing heightmaps.

And yep it will support large terrains.

2. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Playing instead of coding :)

3. Archania

Archania

but but we want to play too! your mother didn't teach you to share?
    lol
    looking awesome.. now get it done so we can make you some money!

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  4. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

5. Archania

Archania

End of the month is coming quickly. How is it looking for release?

6. Wylaryzel

Wylaryzel

The sunset look gorgous.. and besides maybe the trees AAA-quality :) looking forward to it :)

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  7. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hmmm.. its going to be pushing it - found a nasty bug that I will hopefully resolve today. Working hard to get there however.

Archania and Teila like this.
  8. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Cool screen shots! Reminds me of Far Cry Classic from 2004. All these nice dense grass some tiny trees around. But I think Far Cry Class has some little better sky quality, but anyway. Nice retro stuff. Thanks for sharing.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  9. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

Looking good. Don't let these vultures rush you lol

Teila, S4G4N and AdamGoodrich like this.
  10. Teila

Teila

Retro? Man, if that is retro then I am older than I thought. lol

Hikiko66, S4G4N and AdamGoodrich like this.
  11. smada-luap

smada-luap

Either it was a tongue-in-cheek comment and Quatum1000 (did they mis-spell Quantum when they registered??? :D ) and they forgot the smiley to show this, or it's a poor attempt at trolling :)

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  12. chingwa

chingwa

Retro is relative. Sometimes very relative :D

AdamGoodrich and Teila like this.
  13. mwituni

mwituni

Apparently the smallest things in the universe are also the strangest ... wait till chingwa hits him with a new lighting vector.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  14. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Speaking of which, he just has, I will have a play with the new version when i get a chance :)

S4G4N likes this.
  15. nasos_333

nasos_333

The grass obviously can look better and trees can be some other ones in the store than the more generic SpeedTree ones i suppose, but the art/shading of those has little to do with the core subject here, which is the terrain generation underneath and spreading of the plants anyway.

BTW, is it possible to distribute grass in various ways ? I will be casting grass with projection and terrain height mapping automatically, then use my own custom batching and LOD system, so what i need is a mechanism to apply my systems over the terrain, is this supported (say spread a custom scripted item at various randomized intervals) ?

That would be really cool to have.

Here is a sample of how my grass will sit on the terrain, this is currently projected on the terrain, but there is a small patch that is LODed and follows the terrain height to the right (with the red flowers), so there are two methods to go about it, both initiated from a script.

http://i.imgur.com/R7xTr1l.png

If i could spread the projectors or systems with some rules (especially if they can handle the roads etc, say always have a 3m distabce from a road) would be amazing.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    S4G4N and AdamGoodrich like this.
  16. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Well yep - my solution is all about creating, texturing and populating worlds - all of the assets used in my scenes are from the asset store.

Closer to release I will put more than 10 minutes per world into the setup to make it a little more modern ;) I checked out some Far cry screen shots from 2004 - for its time it really was remarkable :)

The cool thing is that with a little time spent configuring the Spawner settings you can completely change the way the scene works - and being rules based its completely reusable even if you redo the terrain under it :)

To answer your question - yes - the Spawner system is extensible - there are a whole lot of different things you can do with it out of the box and with some basic coding ability you will be able to extend it it to spawn pretty much anything you want. I put a lot of thought into how to make it both simple and extensible.

For example, and to show this off, before release I will add support for village placement - including terraforming and texturing the affected terrain in interesting ways to support this. Its a simple extension to the underlying capability already provided by the spawner and will show its power at work.

I haven't spent any time showing it off yet - but regional or biome based spawning is completely feasible, and once you get the hang of it, trivial to set up.

one_one, S4G4N and John-G like this.
  17. S4G4N

S4G4N

That was exactly my reason for following this thread, the title says
    "AAA terrain generator, texturer, and planter for designers - here soon"
    I love the plants as well, but this threat is not about plants, it is a tool about the title, if someone is here about what type of grass or tree they like, they in the wrong thread.

Generating terrain in the method that will be showcased further down the thread as the developer will decide when to show, anyone using any current terrain tolls will see the extreme power of this package that is being developed here.

If you after AAA terrain generator, texturer, and planter for designers tools, then stick around, I surely am :):):)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    Rick- and AdamGoodrich like this.
  18. nasos_333

nasos_333

Great, i am mostly in need for a system to be road aware, that would make most difference in my case, so i can do precision placement of grass based on each patch volume near roads automatically.

I was about to program something like that, but i barely have the time so if i can extend an already road aware system would be much better.

19. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I have been watching your awesome work and know you could do it in a heart beat :)

S4G4N and nasos_333 like this.
  20. hakankaraduman

hakankaraduman

A question, will we be able to edit this terrain after creating it. I'm asking because I'm planning to use it with EasyRoads3d v3 beta 6 and this package works by editing the unity terrain

AdamGoodrich and S4G4N like this.
  21. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yes you will :)

hakankaraduman likes this.
  22. one_one

one_one

Will the seed be updated in that case? Because that would be perfect for saving progress in games that involve building, such as the village building scenario you mentioned above.

23. siraj

siraj

so cool

S4G4N likes this.
  24. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Altering terrain after generation shouldn't have anything to do with the seed itself. If you setup geometry on top of the terrain after it's generated, you will need to save those actions.

S4G4N likes this.
  25. one_one

one_one

I was assuming that too, but this was getting my hopes up.

26. S4G4N

S4G4N

@AdamGoodrich has the Village Exteriors Kit and several other packages, going to be cool to see settlement placement in action, It really make the environments come more to live.

27. smada-luap

smada-luap

Especially if we can randomly place pre-built houses and have them fit into the landscape :D

28. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

THAT is what I'm hoping for!! Hoping if it spawn on a spot that isn't completely level, it can mold itself around the foundation so terrain isn't coming through the floor on the inside!

29. S4G4N

S4G4N

That is why the addition of the plinths was also added so that you do not need flat terrain at all.
    I think that is a major shortcoming for almost 99% of buildings from assets, if not flat ground, it wont work

With the Village Exteriors Kit you could place a working house on almost any angle of terrain and work 100%, with doors, stairs and whatever you need meeting the outside ground surface.

So even when placed with a tool as this you will be able to custom control their final height by just pulling or puching them up or down

hopeful likes this.
  30. Teila

Teila

You have to make something that will allow the building to go partially underground. Most solutions place directly on the ground or flatten there area beneath it.

hopeful, S4G4N and AdamGoodrich like this.
  31. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Interesting thought :) The seed is just a variable that is used to start / restart the random number generator.

one_one and S4G4N like this.
  32. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I think the solution needs both. The design supports this. Just need to implement it. I will implement this before release as much to test that aspect of the design as to create something useful :)

S4G4N, Teila and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  33. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Added a bunch of new features - had to show them off :)

Rick-, pKallv, nasos_333 and 4 others like this.
  34. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

WOW! Please tell me you didn't flatten those like you did the island!!! *drools* Where is that take my money image? lol

So how long did it take to make these? Are these different angles of the same terrain or different terrains? These look amazing!!

35. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hehe - yeap shortly about to be all gone - sort of hurts :)

S4G4N likes this.
  36. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I have struggled to create my own terrain like that with other tools out there and failed... All I can say is... The HORROR!!!! lol Can't wait to see if it is as easy as you make it look.... *taps foot impatiently*

37. John-G

John-G

@ AdamGoodrich Stop just going outside and taking pictures and trying to pass them off as terrains :p
    The market is about to be swamped by AAA+ tiles in the future, thanks to this tool when it release.
    And only 4 days left to end of month too, must keep some of my paycheck aside ;)

38. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

There will be a launch special, you won't have to put too much aside :)

39. John-G

John-G

Standing in the Queue right now .. :D

Baldinoboy, S4G4N and AdamGoodrich like this.
  40. Archania

Archania

Lol.
    The line starts HERE.
    Well behind John cause he claimed the first spot with a lawn chair...

John-G, Baldinoboy and AdamGoodrich like this.
  41. smada-luap

smada-luap

Oi. That was my lawn chair.... :)

AdamGoodrich and Baldinoboy like this.
  42. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

So I feel like a blind man let to see finally. Turns out I have been reading these threads with Chrome and for some reason it is only showing me every OTHER picture that is being posted here. I think it is because they are links to facebook images or something to that effect. I looked at this thread in IE and I got to see a LOT more pictures now! Seriously fantastic work!

43. S4G4N

S4G4N

HAHA, that is a cool error, to now see more cool stuff than before :)

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  44. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hmm - yeah i post the images on the facebook site and link to them from here - seems to work for me so I assumed it worked for everyone - i hope that nobody else is having this issue - if so then please let me know.

I am using chrome by the way - so i am not sure whats going on.

S4G4N likes this.
  45. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

That's really weird.. I'm using Chrome and I'm pretty sure I'm seeing all the images. Adam hasn't posted anything to Facebook that I haven't seen him post here. But then I follow his Facebook page for the project too. Just to make sure I don't miss anything... lol

CaptainMurphy, S4G4N and AdamGoodrich like this.
  46. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

I can almost bet that it is because of one of the 3 different ad blocker extensions I have in Chrome. Now that I know that there were missing pics I just went ahead and followed on FB as well. Man, I was missing out on SO much!

47. Teo

Teo

Is this out or I've missed something? is 29 June today..

48. smada-luap

smada-luap

If you're referring to the release of Adam's terrain system, I think he's said that it could well be mid-late July before it sees the light of day to the general public on the Asset Store.

49. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Still working on it :)

Its been in private beta for the past few weeks and there's been some awesome feedback, and the odd gnarly bug to fix as well.

I am largely done with adding new features although it's a constant temptation to add more. The current focus is on refining the user interface, then multi terrain testing and finally a week of video and printed documentation to be completed before I can submit.

This forum and the beta process has added more time onto the release than intended but I think the investment has been well worth it to bring you a more polished product.

So i am now shooting for mid July to submit to store and hopefully it should be live not too long after that. Thanks for your interest and patience :)

roryo, John-G, MarcusWatson and 7 others like this.
  50. smada-luap

smada-luap

Looks like it won't be ready for my birthday then (which is early July) :( lol