Search Unity

[WIP] Thik - A minimalist and simple puzzle game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by cleverweek, Nov 17, 2014.

1. cleverweek

cleverweek

sc.png sc1.png sc2.png Hi,
    Thik is a WIP game by Cleverweek, which consists of me (14) and my brother (10).
    The game is about moving a circle through a series of courses. The courses will consist of other circles (you lose if you hit them), small golden circles (you need to collect them) and various other obstacles and powerups.
    So I decided to make a thread and keep those who are interested updated.

Webplayer v0.1
    Webplayer v0.01

You have to touch the screen and the planet will move there.
    I am mainly targeting Android, iOS and PC.

Anyone interested? ;)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    Masy3d likes this.
  2. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

It looks ... way too basic. You haven't really shown anything different in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th screenshots that I didn't already glean from the first one.

cleverweek and carking1996 like this.
  3. cleverweek

cleverweek

Yes, I didn't do anything much yet. I will add some more soon. I am concentrating on the game logic first.

4. jkarateking

jkarateking

Post a gameplay video so then we know how it plays.

5. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

:Grumble, Grumble: Seriously?

6. cleverweek

cleverweek

Uploaded a webplayer. Video coming soon!

7. jtok4j

jtok4j

Oh Wow, Oh Wow, Oh Wow, This puts my work to shame. Honestly, the fact that you and your bro are 10 & 14 and have put together this webplayer demo with a GUI ( menu ) in it, while keeping the art-work clean, is really impressive!

Keep in mind what kills a lot of projects: Not having a focus on the goal you initially came up with, and wanting to continually improve/add features to the project! Have a goal in mind. Set it/write it down. Then when you've reached it, release the game! Then add more cool things if you're still interested to do so and others show interest too.

What a cool concept as well! The point and (planet moves ) is going to work well on touchscreens! :D

Please do add some "instructions" or "how to play" somewhere in the game, and it'll get more fun!

Good luck and please do use the forums (including the Answers part of the unity3d site) to get more help with any questions you have on making games and getting things to work together! :D

cleverweek likes this.
  8. cleverweek

cleverweek

Wow, Thanks for your encouraging words!

Yes, I do have a completed game in my head. Menus, levels, backgrounds, everything. We are making that game. :)

9. Ashment

Ashment

Art is clean and simple, but could use a bit more animation(Planets spinning, the atmosphere expanding and pulsing/breathing?). Everything feels so dead and bland... Also, disable the controls after you win the level.

Anyway, I was hoping that gravity was going to be a factor in movement. That would spice things up, and with other modifiers and effects I'm sure there can be lots of variation in levels. Keep it up!

cleverweek likes this.
  10. cleverweek

cleverweek

Thanks for your suggestions! This is still only a pre-alpha, many things will change. And we need your suggestion for that!

11. cleverweek

cleverweek

Creating some new levels. The game will be divided into zones, each having 15 or so levels and their own unique features,

12. cleverweek

cleverweek

v0.02 webplayer will be uploaded soon, with some more polishing!

13. jkarateking

jkarateking

I have played the game on webplayer.
    the gameplay seems pretty nice but it doesn't have enough gameplay for me to really be able to tell if it will be a good game.
    Please add the ability to restart levels :)

14. cleverweek

cleverweek

OK, this is still at a very very very very alpha stage. :) I will add more and more features soon, but I am busy for the next few days. Will add a webplayer with far more features next week.

15. jkarateking

jkarateking

If it's just you and your brother creating everything, why do you need funding?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
    cleverweek likes this.
  16. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

"OK, this is still at a very very very very alpha stage. :) I will add more and more features soon, but I am busy for the next few days. Will add a webplayer with far more features next week."

"I need some funding for the game. What do you recommend?"

"If it's just you and your brother reating everything, why do you need funding?"

LOL, it's probably because a team of a 14 yr old and a 10 yr old won't look to far ahead when it comes to the development of certain things. Nor would they understand that they're not running out of time to create anything. If the game is such an early alpha then it hasn't gotten far enough to be a game people would fully understand. Therefore, nobody is really going to just give you funding for it.

Unless you guys are sure that the Apocalypse is going to happen in a few days, just keep working at it.

cleverweek likes this.
  17. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Just because they're young doesn't mean that they can't raise money for it, and that people would donate in such an early stage. My brother learned HTML, and CSS when he was 12 and knows how to make a fully functional website. In a few years, he could be working for big companies.

Again, young doesn't mean not-talented. Sure, a lot of young people don't bother to learn this stuff at young age. These two brothers have made a good decision as they can become a large company in the future, and frankly, if they ever do, you'll be regretting you ever said that.

You go ahead and go and make a game. See how hard it is and how much skill it takes.

They might not have much right now, but they will later on.

Skorn and cleverweek like this.
  18. cleverweek

cleverweek

Thanks for your understanding!
    I am not going to raise money for it now. I am developing a working prototype so that people can play it and understand the game.
    Of course, no one is going to fund the game now. But if I make progress and people like it, I will get funding.

19. cleverweek

cleverweek

Yes, but we need some music, audio and assets, once we do the basic things. We can't do everything in our own, can we?

20. cleverweek

cleverweek

I must explain to you what I am doing here.

I first got the idea of creating games when I was just 11. Then I googled everywhere and tried everything. GameMaker, FPS Creator, UDK, CryEngine and Unity.
    Once I found Unity, I stopped searching, and started learning. I spent three years (yes, three years!) learning and experimenting with Unity.
    I know that no one can make even a Flappy Bird in a few days, and I knew that I am not going to get anything if I release a game without a thorough understanding of game development.
    And no one asked for funding right now. I will need funding to make a full fledged game, and I know that no one is going to fund a pre-alpha game.
    If I didn't knew, you could have seen an Indiegogo project right now for my game.
    I asked for funding because we do look far ahead. No one is going to complete a game without funding, unless it is a simple mini game or a submission to a game jam. So we do need funding, for we are not the richest guys out there. If we were, we won't develop games in 2014 with a Dual Core PC with an onboard VGA using Unity Free.
    So we came here to get some feedback, and everyone gave helpful comments, except you.
    But remember, once we start something, we finish it, no matter whether it takes a couple of weeks or a couple of centuries.
    Though unhelpful, your comment was the most encouraging comment I got so far on this game. Like Silver Games said, we will complete the game, we will get funding, we will get players, and you will regret what you just said to a determined team of two brothers.

21. cleverweek

cleverweek

Sorry, It will take a few days to come back to development since I have three clients who needs setting up websites. But stay tuned!
    The planets are now rotating, the background now has floating clouds, and the levels can be now paused and restarted, thanks for your ideas!
    Anyway, my brother is free, he will create some levels. So a webplayer with a lot more features will come out soon!

22. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

Great, more crying from "supporters" who would actually misquote and misinterpret what I've typed. And that is followed by the developer literally contradicted himself through his own posts.

Surely I will "regret" every saying anything in the future when they're both selling their company for $2.5 billion and I'm doing who knows what. I'll just quote someone else in this thread who apparently doesn't receive harsh words like myself but definitely has told the truth:

"It looks ... way too basic. You haven't really shown anything different in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th screenshots that I didn't already glean from the first one."

23. cleverweek

cleverweek

That post was posted before I added the webplayer. I agree to that post, the screenshots just showed some planets floating around.
    But what I say is, you assumed that we don't know what we was doing. We know that developing a game is difficult and takes time, so we are doing it slowly. So what is your problem?

Whiteleaf likes this.
  24. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." As it were.

cleverweek likes this.
  25. Skorn

Skorn

I wish Unity existed when I was a young cause it would have been a dream come true to have this software in my hands. Technology wasn't even a thing when I was a teenager besides windows 95 :p. But I really enjoy seeing people at such a young age making games and doing what they enjoy. Hope you stay in the game development business & make it through to the end and have all that time not go to waste.

Don't let anyone stop you from achieving what you want. The sky isn't the limit and neither is your potential. I enjoyed playing the game even if it's simple & basic. But keep working on it and I'm sure it will turn out to be amazing.

cleverweek likes this.
  26. cleverweek

cleverweek

Whiteleaf likes this.
  27. Heu

Heu

I think the game looks great so far, but I think you two might be doing this project for the wrong reason, already asking for funds? I think you two should just do this for educational purposes, and not for monetary gain, even if it's funding for the game.

Also let's be realistic, nobody these days are willing to fund a few youngsters for their small project. I might be wrong, but just my two cents.

28. cleverweek

cleverweek

Yes, I think everyone has problems with the funding thing. I deleted that post.

Skorn likes this.
  29. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Windows 95...but I guess that was the only Windows system at the time! xD I hate anything below XP. And, XP is my favorite. Right alongside Windows 7.

cleverweek likes this.
  30. cleverweek

cleverweek

Yay! Unity 4.6 is finally here! Expect a major update with a new UI soon!

31. jkarateking

jkarateking

When will the webplayer get more levels?

cleverweek likes this.
  32. cleverweek

cleverweek

The next update will have about 6 levels

33. cleverweek

cleverweek

The current UI buttons for pause menu:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  34. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Unless it's just for me, did you forget to add the image? :p

cleverweek likes this.
  35. jkarateking

jkarateking

I think he did :)

cleverweek likes this.
  36. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Dang it computer.

cleverweek likes this.
  37. cleverweek

cleverweek

:p :p
    It was there when I posted! Seems like it fell out.
    Anyway, it is there now. Please check that before it falls out again! :p

38. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I like the new UI! I really like the shading on them, too.

cleverweek likes this.
  39. cleverweek

cleverweek

Made significant progress today. :)
    A few screenshots of the current game before I close out.

40. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Sweet! May I ask what the numbers are for in the left corner?

41. cleverweek

cleverweek

Yes, I need to clarify them.

Left - Number of moves the player did
    Right up - Time spent
    Right down - Number of small planets collected / Number of planets in the level

42. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Okay thanks!

cleverweek likes this.
  43. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

I played the webplayed, and I could see where this would be very addicting on mobile. ;) Now you need sounds, and it will be even more awesome. Also, ever thought about infinite levels? I don't know how hard it is, but it would be cool to see it implemented.

cleverweek likes this.
  44. cleverweek

cleverweek

Thanks!
    Infinite levels is a good idea! I will implement it after completing the normal levels. I don't think it would be that hard!

Whiteleaf likes this.
  45. cleverweek

cleverweek

Sorry for the lack of updates. I tried a totally new approach to the game mechanics that improved performance and reduced development time. Every level now contains only a mere few of empty GameObjects. Everything is run using prefabs. :D

46. cleverweek

cleverweek

Three weeks have passed!
    We went through major changes, the name, the theme and the mechanism, all changed.

We will post details about the new changes soon!

47. Mikenseer

Mikenseer

Just want to post how impressed I am about this game. I wish unity was in my sites at your age, as I spent my time designing maps in StarCraft. Now with tools like unity around, the possibilities are insane.

The art style is quite good when it comes to following current trends of flat design. I can definitely see where this will be an addicting mobile game. Keep it up! Very excited to see where this goes.

When it hits big on the app store I'll whisper to myself "I posted on his thread..."

cleverweek likes this.
  48. cleverweek

cleverweek

@Mikenseer Thanks for your encouraging post!
    By the way, the art style has changed a lot. One can always get a good impression using a screenshot:
    sc.png sc1.png sc2.png

49. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

"It looks ... way too basic. You haven't really shown anything different in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th screenshots that I didn't already glean from the first one."

Wow, that quote still applies even today.

50. Heu

Heu

I honestly think you've just downgraded the graphics. Unless you don't want a Planetary Theme anymore, then that's... fine

cleverweek likes this.