Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows Store splash screen and Unity Free

Discussion in 'Windows' started by K1kk0z90_Unity, Mar 30, 2015.

1. K1kk0z90_Unity

K1kk0z90_Unity

Hi all! :)
    If I publish a Windows Store app, targeting only Windows 8 (not Universal app), with Unity 4.6 Free, am I allowed to replace splash screen in Visual Studio? I mean the splash screen that appears when the app is loading, not the Unity logo that appears after it.
    Thank you in advance! :)

2. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Yes, you can replace that splash screen.

K1kk0z90_Unity likes this.
  3. K1kk0z90_Unity

K1kk0z90_Unity

Thank you very much for your answer!
    I suspected that, but I wanted to be sure not to break the license. :)

4. shopguy

shopguy

Is this still the case for Unity 5? I asked here also, but no answer yet: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/931343/with-unity-5-free-can-we-add-our-own-splash-screen.html

I think the reason the animated splash screen wasn't displaying very long was related to adding the Microsoft "AdControl" to MainPage.xaml. You guys at Unity might want to do some testing with that and confirm your animated splash screen isn't having issues.. since probably more and more people will be using Microsoft ads (unless Unity makes it easy to start using Unity ads on MS platforms maybe).

When I added the AdControl and had it visible, it will usually appear while my initial splash screen is up. That might be slowing things down or doing something else that makes Unity's animated logo not display as long as it should. I have 2 games that were seeing that issue, I've updated one to not show the ads (control starts hidden) until my first scene loads, and that seems to have fixed the problem. If it holds up, and doesn't cause other issues, I'll update my other game this weekend... as I feel like I'm doing something wrong, with that splash screen flashing by so quickly you almost can't see it.

The ads are just banners at the very bottom, and do not cover up the logo, so I know that's not the problem. Seems like a timing issue or something. I thought about submitting a bug.. but between you and me I really want to upgrade to Pro, so hopefully I'll just make $100,000 already and have to upgrade ;)

5. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Yes, you can do it in Unity 5 too. It will still display Unity's splashscreen anyway while loading the first level if you're on personal edition license. And it shouldn't be long at all either, just a couple of seconds. Basically it's the same as iOS.

6. shopguy

shopguy

OK, maybe that's the difference between my 2 apps. In the app where you can hardly see the splash screen (less than 1 second) I have a tiny initial scene. In the app where it seems more normal (about 1 second and you can see it fade out), I have a pretty large initial scene.

Well, thanks for the answer, at least I can sleep easier at night knowing I'm not doing anything wrong by replacing that splash screen image using the standard options in Visual Studio.