Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 10 and Unity

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Aurore, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Windows 10 is coming out soon...zomg. I know some of you eager beavers may decide to get your free OS and continue to use Unity ASAP, so please keep this in mind when installing Windows 10.

Back up your projects, for the love of everything just always do that always forever for no particular reason other than you should just do it.

Ok we good... let's get on to..

Licenses

If you have a Pro license you may be familiar with the amount of activations you have, if you're not then get real familiar right now. Pro license keys come with two activations as default, meaning you can install it on two machines.

If you have NOT reached the limit of your activations (i.e. 1/2), you can ignore all this and move on with your life. Unity will detect the change in OS and return your activation automatically.

If you have reached your activation limit (i.e. 2/2) FEAR NOT, you can reset them yourself in the editor (before you upgrade OS) or in your store account. When you get to the welcome screen just reactivate your Pro license.

Personal users won't need to re-activate so don't worry, but it's possible ALL users may have to sign in again on the Welcome Screen again.

TO RETURN AN ACTIVATED LICENSE VIA YOUR UNITY ACCOUNT
    1. Go to the Unity Store: https://store.unity3d.com/
    2. Click "My Account", then sign in to the account which is linked to the license. Or, if you haven’t assigned your license yet, click Add License.
    3. Click "Activations"
    4. Click "Disable all activations" on the license added.

MANAGING YOUR UNITY 5 LICENSE
    With Unity 5 you are able to manage your license independently. Below is a guide to how this system works and performs.

In the Unity drop-down on your toolbar there is an option called “Manage License…”. This is the unified place within the Editor for all your licensing needs.

Once you have clicked on the “Manage License…” option you will be faced with the “License Management” window. You then have four options, explained below:

1. “Check for updates” cross-references the server, querying your Serial number for any changes that may have been made since you last activated. This is handy for updating your license to include new add-ons once purchased and added to your existing license via the Unity Store.
    2. “Activate a new license” does what it says on the tin. This enables you to activate a new Serial number on the machine you’re using.
    3. The “Return license” feature enables you to return the license on the machine in question, in return for a new activation that can be used on another machine. Once clicked the Editor will close and you will be able to activate your Serial number elsewhere. For more information on how many machines a single license enables use on, please see our Licensing and Activation FAQ.
    4. “Manual activation” enables you to activate your copy of Unity offline. This is covered in more depth above.
    More information on license activation here https://unity3d.com/unity/activation

If things seem beyond all hope or repair with your license, contact support@unity3d.com

Technical issue or bug with Unity on Windows 10?
    We expect everything to be spiffing but in the event of an emergency report report report and report
    And if you've created a forum thread about it, tell us your bug number, it helps us a lot.

Please keep posts in this thread to license issues! If you have a different problem regarding Unity and Windows 10, create a new thread and you can link to it here so we can see it but don't discuss it here.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  2. Aurore

Aurore

3. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

How will this effect asset store purchases for personal users?

4. lordofduct

lordofduct

Good information, thank you for passing it on. I will inform the rest of my team before we upgrade.

5. Tanel

Tanel

If a Pro user upgrades to 10 without returning the activation from the editor, they'll still be able to do that via the website, right?

6. lordofduct

lordofduct

I've done it before, but it takes a few days. It requires Unity to respond to an email from you.

Mycroft likes this.
  7. LaneFox

LaneFox

I remember having some minor issue when i installed the beta, but was able to resolve it myself fairly easily despite using all of my seats.

8. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

It shouldn't affect your purchases whatsoever.

Not_Sure likes this.
  9. Aurore

Aurore

It won't

Yes

Not any more, this was the old way of doing things, you can do this yourself with the steps in my original post.

kaarme, Not_Sure and WheresMommy like this.
  10. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

LMAO!
    Why would you need to bump your own thread when you are the WEB ADMINSTRATOR of the forum? You can sticky this or do some web admin voodoo magic to make this on every single thread etc etc.

11. Vaupell

Vaupell

I think it was an excuse to post that phat cat gif ;)

12. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Good timing... I am eager to update to Windows 10 on this machine... :)

13. Aurore

Aurore

Because NO ONE LOOKS AT STICKIES *Runs away crying*

aaaaaand I actually made it yesterday really late, deleted it to double check some stuff then undeleted it this morning which pushed it page a billion. Web admin voodoo magic is actually all lies.

twobob, Sslaxx, mateiasu and 9 others like this.
  14. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera

*ahem*

VoodooMagic.png

spike1 likes this.
  15. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I wish Web Admin voodoo magic could change my forum name :)... but I am looking forward to WIndows 10

16. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Now thats a pic worth another bump

twobob likes this.
  17. asperatology

asperatology

Speaking of upgrading to Windows 10, you may want to link or make this thread relate with the pinned thread to upgrade to Windows 8.1. It will no longer be relevant by tomorrow, until next year.

18. Mosy

Mosy

Not really, if someone doesn't want to upgrade to Windows 10 just yet to give Microsoft time to work out the bugs that they fear will crop up (most likely justifiable fear as it always happens) and want to upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 then that information will still be useful.

19. BeauDaniel

BeauDaniel

Will Windows 10 Home and Unity work together OK? I really don't see much use for the options Windows 10 Pro gives you as we are not a big shop (three people and one of them is an artist).

20. LeeDenbigh

LeeDenbigh

Hahahahaha I love this admin, you funny person, you.

spike1 likes this.
  21. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Yes, Unity will work on Windows 10 Home just fine.

22. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Everything is fine here with Windows ten, but I am not finding how to activate Pro.
    I have no activations.
    When I open 4.2bx it says I need a Pro license.
    I see nothing in my account that will allow me to activate, stumped.
    Maybe I need to run the installer again?

Edit: No, still doesn't ask me to put in my serial.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  23. 3B00DG4MER

3B00DG4MER

i have Windows 10 from December 2014 :p
    So i don't have to do all of this xD
    I'm the laziest here ! :p

24. Aurore

Aurore

Well it kind of is but isn't and in the interest of sticky culling I'd rather remove it.

4.2 beta? I need to travel back in time in my brain because 4 & 5 licensing works differently. I guess if your editor has a dark skin then you don't need to do anything and Windows 10 did the magic, or used up another activation but since you've not reached a limit the editor hasn't said anything.

To manage your license in 4.x is the same, it's under Help on PC and Unity on Mac, click "Manage License" and "activate new license" if you need to put your serial in.

Is there technical reason you're on an old beta?

25. Dover8

Dover8

I've had the Windows 10 Technical preview for a while now. Not had any issues with the Unity Editor, though it is not my main work machine.

However, I have noticed a lot of issues with Unity builds running on Windows 10. A couple of games from Steam as well as projects I/my team have worked on crash about 5 - 10 seconds after starting on Windows 10. Is Unity aware of this issue and is it something they can fix, or is it something we as developers need to handle in some way?

26. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

We haven't seen any reports of this before. I've personally been running Windows 10 for a couple of months, and I didn't see such crashes. Do you have latest GPU drivers installed?

If you have something reproducible, please submit a bug.

27. Aurore

Aurore

28. Dover8

Dover8

Yes I have the latest drivers. Strangely it didn't happen immediately after upgrading to Windows 10 preview, only after a certain build. Unfortunately I didn't note down which build, however I did upload a gameplay video of one the games in question on the 9th of May, but was never able to record a second video as the game exhibited the described crash. Not all Unity games are having the issue, so it may be a version specific bug. For example Kerbal Space Program is stable, and if I'm right in thinking Pillars of Eternity is a Unity game then it is also stable.

I'll try and get some logs when I next have some time.

29. Aurore

Aurore

Thanks that would be really handy!

30. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Uh, well, no... I am using 5.2.0b4, sorry.
    I contacted Unity Support and these are the steps I was given that solved it:

1.Uninstall Unity
    2.Delete this file:

* Windows: C: (space added to prevent smilie) ProgramData/Unity
    * Mac: Library/Application Support/Unity

3. Restart
    4. Download Unity again from our website, since your original install might be corrupt.
    http://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive
    5. Reinstall and test

I tried a lot of stuff but never thought of actually uninstalling all versions of Unity.​

31. Spes4

Spes4

Had the same issue with licensing in Unity 5.1. Simply deleting the Unity_v5.x.ulf file in ProgramData/Unity worked fine, no reboot or reinstall required.

Don-Gray likes this.
  32. roxIndie

roxIndie

Was completely stuck with the license thingy (U5), but this worked for me as well! :)

Aurore and Don-Gray like this.
  33. novaVision

novaVision

34. Dover8

Dover8

My machine updated to the release candidate last night and I gave the games in question a quick test, seems the issue has gone away. If I do encounter it again I will supply logs.

Aurore likes this.
  35. Aurore

Aurore

Thanks for the update.

Thanks Tautvydas Zilys from the Windows Team is taking a look at it.

If you do find a problem please create a BUG REPORT and include the bug number in the post.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  36. Horees

Horees

The hardest thing for me to upgrade my Windows 10 system to Windows 10 is that I can't boot up Windows 10. Having searched on Google and Cnet to find Windows boot genius to help me boot up Windows 10. But there was no answers to me. Could you give me some help?:(

37. asperatology

asperatology

That would be more of a Tech Support issue than Unity Support issue.

38. Jeriko2k3

Jeriko2k3

Unity is working fine for me but Monodevelop is no longer working for me any issues on that I am not aware of?

39. 3B00DG4MER

3B00DG4MER

mono-develop works fine on my last ver of unity and windows 10 ..

40. TRuoss

TRuoss

So i updated from win 8.1, had unity 5.1.1f1 personal installed, to win 10. I did not return license and i got an error that it needs to reactivate. I pressed that and it got stuck. Writing problems and that stuff. I uninstalled and reinstalled u5.1.1.f1. Did not work either. After that i deleted the hidden ProgramData/Unity folder, that worked.

Hope that could help somebody.

41. earlbojan

earlbojan

Thank you!

42. Jeriko2k3

Jeriko2k3

well don't know what happened, but mono-develop wouldn't work for me for 3 days. The load up screen would flash and disappear. Now there are no issues. After researching the net for an answer I had the brilliant idea to just reset my computer, why are the simplest solutions the hardest to find. :p

43. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

...or the easiest to overlook
    Just bought a new $300 router to replace one I thought was going out,
    turns out it was an inferior connecting cord.
    :)

44. gdj9563

gdj9563

fesaf

45. gdj9563

gdj9563

why cant i ask for answer to something? how can i answer to this >?

46. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

What is you question? :)

47. Aurore

Aurore

I don't remember this happening with OSX, but we'll probably know more closer to it's launch.

Not sure what you're after.

48. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

Just upgraded from Win8.11 to Win10. Unity would not start, insisted there was a licensing issue. Cut & PAsted the C: ProgramData\Unity folder to another drive and fired up U5 again. No issues.

49. kosikfl

kosikfl

I'm using a temporary computer, mine needs to be fixed. During the battle of the hack. I will be sending it of at the end of the month, so right now I don't need to upgrade to window 10. I'm on an old hp vista 7 with a lot of problems. It's only temporary. I'm going to focus on studying on how to build the cloud. I not putting to much into this computer. I believe they can save my data but I will find out tomorrow.
    Thank you for your suggestions.

50. Al1a123

Al1a123

Guys if anyone can help.
    I have windows 10 and i installed unity 5.1.2f but every time i try to open it, it just froze and shows me a window with 2 options either to debug or to close the program so if anyone can help please send me a replay thank you <3.