Search Unity

Will Visual Studio Code replace MonoDevelop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HRoland, Apr 29, 2015.

?

Do you want this to happen as well? :)

1. Gimme, gimme, gimme!

2. Why not?

3. I don't care.

4. I'm fine with MonoDevelop.

5. Don't you DARE replace MonoDevelop!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Deleted User

Deleted User

@angrypenguin When I said "I'd never heard of this before" I was talking about VS Code. Also; whats it to you?

2. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Open discussion which might introduce me to new ideas. :)

3. darkhog

darkhog

Microsoft product not working properly? What a surprise.

4. Teo

Teo

Eh who said is not working? Are you referring at VS Code? Works perfectly.

5. antislash

antislash

we use VS and it's sweet, 1 can even edit FBX in it...
    i use it to update art assets in the main build so team and backers are informed of changes and progresses in slack

6. darkhog

darkhog

Yes, especially autocomplete.

7. Teo

Teo

VS Code autocomplete works. I don't use any other script in Unity. Just VS code and work. BUT be sure you have set workspace "files.exclude", else can take a while.

Is explained very nice here:
    https://code.visualstudio.com/Docs/runtimes/unity

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

@angrypenguin I have no answer to that. Those are just my thoughts. IMHO having five ways to do one thing is the enemy of simplicity and user friendliness (oddly enough it seems to have worked for Windows). Its also kind of pointless.

Yet I <3 Windows because its got the most games of any OS and I know it well.

9. juggernate

juggernate

luispedrofonseca likes this.
  10. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

Wow! That's an huge update. I don't have the time to test this now but I'm definitely interested in knowing if we finally get better syntax highlighting.

11. UCh

UCh

12. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

13. blockimperium

blockimperium

On a whim I decided to use the VSCode 2.2 plugin by dotBunny and *boom* VSCode working brilliantly. FTW doesn't describe this well enough. It just works - not that MonoDevelop didn't work, it was just clunky as hell a lot of times.

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

Totally agree!
    https://github.com/dotBunny/VSCode ... and VS Code is the winner (on Mac anyway, VS Community still has more functionality on Windows)!

15. FIFTYTWO

FIFTYTWO

@angrypenguin have you fixed the issue with Unexpected symbol `1E-05'? I had the same issues. The first was fixed by installing DNX, but the second is still presented.

16. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I haven't really used it in ages, so no, I have not.

17. FIFTYTWO

FIFTYTWO

I've finally found the root cause of this issue with unexpected 1E-05 symbol and wrote solution here: https://github.com/dotBunny/VSCode/issues/43

Saying short, the problem was in source file PlaygroundParticlesC.cs in Particle Playground asset. OmniSharp was failed to parse following code:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. float mslt = minShurikenLifetime<.00001f?.00001f:minShurikenLifetime;
    1E-05 was related to .00001f, so, I changed it to:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. float mslt = minShurikenLifetime < 0.00001f ? 0.00001f : minShurikenLifetime;
    And it started to work, intelli sense enabled after it.

My working environment:
    VS Code, VS Code plugin for Unity3D https://github.com/dotBunny/VSCode, mono from homebrew, DNX from homebrew.
    Install instructions for DNX are here https://github.com/aspnet/homebrew-dnx, but I executed the last upgrade command from the instructions with option -u to installed the latest unstable development version of DNX for mono runtime (see dnvm help).
    Code (csharp):
    1. dnvm upgrade -u

18. Ryiah

Ryiah

19. kreso

kreso

Hello,
    using OSX & Visual Code and Intellisense does not work (Shows 'Loading...' for 10 seconds or longer before showing results). Neither does it show references.

Anyone else?

I have it working on another mac with same project, so it's not that project is too big or other ideas I saw at omnisharp github. I don't see any difference between the computers.

I spent 20+hours trying to make it work (removing/updating components - mono, omnisharp, dnx, .net...), and it's very frustrating, as Microsoft suggested integration with Unity.

20. Kequc

Kequc

I've downloaded the unity beta 5.5, which includes visual studio code support natively. To get it working was a matter of going into preferences and navigating my applications directory (on OS x) for vsc.

Visual studio code then needs the legacy c sharp plugin. The up to date one explicitly states that omnidevelop mono and unity is unsupported for the time being.

With that installed, I'm using Code like a pro. No problems so far. It auto completes everything for me without needing me to press any extra keys. Unity automatically setup my environment for me, including ignored files and folders.

Ryiah and angrypenguin like this.
  21. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

That is excellent news, because that's exactly the scenario that had me interested in VSC.

22. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

One day we will get our .Net profile upgrade. Of course by then .Net will have move on, so we will always have to choose legacy. ;)

MV10 and Ryiah like this.
  23. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

Never was that impressed with vsc, I'm still running a VM just so I can use visual studio proper. But an looking forward to the JetBrains c# ide getting more mature as a alternative to that.

24. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

Isn't that too slow? VS is slow even on a Windows machine, so I'd imagine running it on a VM is big pain?

25. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

Runs fine for me, VS has a long startup time, but once started and you have a solution loaded it is snappy and VS + Resharper and a good vim plugin make it worth it for me.

Ryiah, Dustin-Horne and Flipbookee like this.
  26. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

From yesterday's announcement and release of VS '15' Preview 5, it looks like they've cut the startup time in half by deferring plugin loads to on-demand plus a few extra tweaks.

passerbycmc and Ryiah like this.