Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Visual Studio Code replace MonoDevelop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HRoland, Apr 29, 2015.

?

Do you want this to happen as well? :)

1. Gimme, gimme, gimme!

2. Why not?

3. I don't care.

4. I'm fine with MonoDevelop.

5. Don't you DARE replace MonoDevelop!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

That 5 seconds is an exaggeration, right? On its first run it takes longer to load the application and then depending on solution size will take some more time to load projects and open files in tabs. And that's still on a lucky day only if it doesn't show a popup hidden behind its splash screen waiting for user action.

2. N1warhead

N1warhead

No not an exaggeration, I've only ever had one problem ever with Mono and it had to do with the last version of Unity with memory leaks and stuff. Aside from that, never had an issue about it ever.

3. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

That's funny. For me, it is the opposite: It worked in 0.7, but now I have problems.

Are you on Windows? Because for me (using OSX), it's more like the other way around.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Just timed it after a fresh restart of my system and it took twenty-five seconds. It's considerably faster than UE4 which takes a full minute to go from launcher to a new project. Visual Studio Code takes five seconds.

My system is fairly old by my standards at five years and wasn't built with the latest model components either. I don't have a solid state drive and I'm running Minecraft in the background which is taking half my memory.

This isn't really a problem with Visual Studio. It's a problem with us being broke. :p

AcidArrow likes this.
  5. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

For me it is the opposite as far a loading time MD takes forever and VS Code is quick. But I haven't used VS code much yet so I can't say that I prefer it over MD. I'm on OSX.

6. IvyKun

IvyKun

I don't know if this have been posted yet but it was published last week.

Unity Development with VS Code
    https://code.visualstudio.com/Docs/runtimes/unity

I'm used to work with VS 2013 in windows and now it looks that I can use VS Code in mac osx with debugging included (last time I read about this debugging was not working properly).

7. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

VSCode is working very well on Mac now, except for the syntax highlight which is still very basic. It doesn't make any kind of distinction between local, private or public variables and it also doesn't highlight custom classes. It makes the code pretty terrible to look at and read.

8. bluescrn

bluescrn

As primarily a Windows user, I'm quite happy to see MonoDevelop go away.

I'm worried that we're about to lose support for older versions of VS Pro, though... I've been using VS2010 and Visual Assist with UnityVS for a while, and it's worked nicely. Seems that 5.2 has broken it...

I'd rather not be forced into a pricey VS upgrade. (I'm assuming that the free versions of VS still block add-ons such as Visual Assist? - as well as running more slowly and having uglier UIs?)

9. N1warhead

N1warhead

Yeah I'm on Windows 7. I mean I'll have the occasional error message pop up, but it's a quick tap of Enter and loads fine. Not an annoyance enough to make me switch to VS. lol. But it rarely happens. Maybe once every couple of weeks.

Shushustorm likes this.
  10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Switching to VS is really smart though. Expect to see yourself actually being way more productive with it. VS loads my entire solution (a huge game) in 5 seconds, and mono develop takes the same amount of time. So that's either because of SSD or maybe something is a little wonky. 2 mins sounds off.

11. N1warhead

N1warhead

I mean I love how VS Looks an all, very good UI, etc.
    I just hate the auto crap. Like if I hit the spacebar for whatever reason, it just puts something I don't even want lol.Or if I even hit backspace I think it happens too (don't really what buttons it is). I just know it's some button I always use in Mono to just skip by stuff (I do it without thinking) so I don't remember what button it is.

I'm weird I guess, I'd rather type things out entirely rather than have the auto stuff. I mean I like the Auto stuff in Mono, but it at least doesn't force me to pick one I don't want lol. Gives me options, I either press enter or not to use it. In VS, It like auto-selects and I hate it.

I know I'm probably sounding like one of them people who hate change lol. If I can make VS work exactly the same way as my Mono, I'll be happy, then I'd switch maybe.

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's quirks you get used to and realise why, when etc. Options will fix it.

Yes, you are an old git.

13. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

But do you use git?

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

More of a perforce sort myself :p

15. N1warhead

N1warhead

Ehh maybe one day I'll try a switch.

16. Korindian

Korindian

The free Visual Studio 2015 Community edition doesn't block extensions, so you should be all good.

bluescrn likes this.
  17. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

Not sure why or when this conversation derailed into discussing Visual Studio for Windows... This is a Visual Studio Code thread guys.

18. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Are you using UnityScript or something? I got full hilighting and intellisense when I used Code on OS X, and that was a few months ago now.

Also, are you loading the solution or just individual files?

19. darkhog

darkhog

You know what? For me VS Code may be best thing under the sun. It can even have "Make MMO that earns 60x more money than WoW" button - if it is made by Microsoft, I won't touch that. With a stick. That is held by a different person.

C# is the only thing Microsoft ever did right and only because person who designed funking Delphi is designing it.

20. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Why even come in this thread, then?

21. Ryiah

Ryiah

Clearly he's tagging the topic for us. This way if we ever want to find any thread that is discussing a Microsoft product and/or service, we simply have to search for "C# is the only thing Microsoft" and it'll come up. :p

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    darkhog, zyzyx and angrypenguin like this.
  22. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

I'm using C# and loading the whole solution. Like I said, everything works fine except for the syntax highlighting which is very weak. See this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wotvlol8opm2bh2/Screenshot 2015-09-15 11.47.45.png?dl=0

23. Abdou23

Abdou23

I did everything exactly as the explanation, I have latest versions of Unity & VSC, everything worked fine but no auto-complete.

24. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

Have you tried using VSC 0.7? auto-complete worked for me in VSC 0.7, but the newest version (0.8) only works with some of my projects.

25. Abdou23

Abdou23

I did not try 07, but one thing I noticed that it will autocomplete functions and such if they are already exist in the current script. But I don't really understand why it isn't working for me.

26. Marble

Marble

I just tried out VS Code + Unity on OS X—really nice. One question: when I had Unity linked up to Sublime Text, saving a script in Sublime would trigger a recompile over in Unity without me having to give Unity focus. This shaved a few precious seconds of recompile time off every save, and it let me see compiler errors in the console without having to change applications.

Does this feature have a name and is this VS Code integration supposed to employ it?

27. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

28. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

It's the same for me, including theme.

29. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

30. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

31. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

@luispedrofonseca
    Have you tried changing the theme? (Preferences -> Color theme)
    Some of them aren't very high-contrast.

32. luispedrofonseca

luispedrofonseca

Yes, the result is the same.

33. Marble

Marble

The syntax highlighting is pretty bland, yeah (at a glance, scope, return types, booleans, and string literals are colored; most everything else is monochrome).

34. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I haven't used it for a while, so I can't recall exactly what it looked like. I have a feeling it was more detailed than your image, but can't be sure. As someone said, it could be a version issue.

To be honest, my main concerns were a) not constantly breaking my code formatting a-la Unity's MonoDevelop and b) working intellisense. So I may well have overlooked lackluster hilighting.

35. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Just gave the current version a whirl now, and it doesn't seem to be working with Unity well at all.

Opening a source file from Unity opens VS Code in file mode, so you miss any features that require a project. When I do Open Folder then select a project it closes the currently open file. Re-opening the file from Unity then opens a new instance of VS Code, so the project isn't open.

It might work if I do all of my file navigation in Code itself, but that doesn't even remotely fit with my Unity workflow, so it ain't happening. Oh well, fingers crossed the next update makes that work again.

36. Abdou23

Abdou23

37. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

@luispedrofonseca Alright, I guess there is no other option then. At least not that I know of.

By the way, maybe someone knows answers to these?

Can I somehow run multiple instances of VSC?
    I tried do shell script "open -n ApplicationDirectory/Visual\\ Studio\\ Code.app", but after opening the second instance, it will close again and open the first one instead.

Is there a way to deactivate underlining errors? Or maybe at least set a different timer for this? VSC almost instantly underlines code as wrong while I'm still typing.

Also, is it just me or does VSC sometimes keep underlining code which is perfectly fine?

@Abdou23
    Yes. Somehow I am able to work with it in several projects, though.
    I just opened the project folder from VSC and chose the .sln.
    I'm not positive, but if I remember correctly, it also works with a completely new Unity 5.2 project.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  38. Abdou23

Abdou23

I will just keep using Mono for now hoping that in the future Unity may add native support for VSC.

39. _Radagan

_Radagan

OK, this thread seems a little hot and cold, so I want to put in a plug for VSCode on Mac OS X Yosemite and Unity 5.2.1f1. I installed VSCode v0.8.0 following these instructions on the Visual Studio site:

https://code.visualstudio.com/Docs/runtimes/unity

And it is amazing!!! :cool:

Everything works including debugging. It even tells me if a method is referenced and how many times! I love Unity, but Monodevelop not so much. I mean, I coded through the '90's once already--I'm not that nostalgic.

The only hitch I had was an old version of mono installed. So, I removed it and installed the MDK straight from the mono project at:

http://www.mono-project.com/download/

Mono Project also has a version for El Capitan, but I haven't gone there yet.

daisySa and angrypenguin like this.
  40. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

41. daisySa

daisySa

Oh wow - this is fantastic!!! I've been using Code for about a week, but I just imported the VSCode plugin, and everything just works. So good! The only downside so far is that there doesn't seem to be a "Replace in files" option (but maybe I missed it).

Bye bye Mono - it's been great, really it has!

42. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

Been trying out vs for a few days. Had to change my answer here to "gimme, gimme, gimme!". Love it! Can't go back to md.

43. Teo

Teo

VS Code = regular use. It's just awesome.

44. Deleted User

Deleted User

IDK. Kind of on the fence about it. I'd never heard of this before but MS produces some very heavy and encumbering software. I like IDE's like Code Blocks because they are light, and simple. I've never been an Apple fan BUT, I no longer choose sides. Anyway, I love that Apple makes top notch products and some of its design philosophy is attractive to me. Ie. There's only one way to do something, instead of literally five different ways. That can be confusing to the end user, and I just hate the screen clutter!

<3 that Apple is one of the FEW companies which chooses not to sell your data. Fights the NSA with encryption too ^_^

45. Velo222

Velo222

This is actually a little more annoying than I thought it would be. Lets say I have a quick idea about how to change a bit of code to make something work. In Mono, I only had to hold that idea for 5-10 seconds before I was browsing my code to make changes. In Visual Studio I have to forcefully hold my thoughts for a lot longer before I can make code changes. And it is slightly more annoying.

I haven't worked with Visual Studio enough yet to determine if it's a program I will hate. But judging by the install and load times, it seems pretty annoying already.

46. N1warhead

N1warhead

Well Unity 5.3 comes with Mono 5.9! I love it! But Unity is in Beta so one bug (that they have fixed now) for release was making me not even want to use 5.3 until all major bugs are gone.

But dude, Mono 5.9 is sweet! :D

47. Velo222

Velo222

Well, I'll make a determination then when that happens. And hopefully, by then, I'll have used Visual Studio enough to see whether or not it's a program I can live with. But glad to hear it'll be a more updated Mono version then :)

N1warhead likes this.
  48. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

VS Code is also light and simple. Why would MSs reputation with other things impact whether or not you use a text editor?

49. JBacal

JBacal

Has anyone been able to successfully stop/release the debugger in VS Code on Mac OS Yosemite without crashing Unity? If so, did you do anything special?

50. Teo

Teo

VSCode is even lighter and simpler, and do almost anything you need day by day. VSCode so simple, is impossible to don't love it. You can always open VS or MD.. if necesary