Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Unity ever support true full screen support for Crossfire?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by erode, Feb 16, 2015.

1. erode

erode

I have Crossfire 290s and currently the only game I give a S*** about is Rust, which is running on Unity 5 beta apparently. I am aware that Unity doesn't seem to support "real" fullscreen, which is a requirement of Crossfire.

Are there any hacks to make it run in true fullscreen? Is there any discussion or petitioning happening about this for Unity? How do we go about getting the ball rolling here?

2. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Define "real" fullscreen...

3. erode

erode

Thanks for responding Aurore. I am a developer, but not a game developer, so hopefully my assertions are correct here.

Unity fullscreen is borderless fullscreen. When you alt+tab, it's instantaneous. This is great but has some very significant downsides. The game has to send messages to DWM, telling it where to draw the game output on the screen. There is some overhead there causing a penalty in performance. It also prohibits AMD Crossfire. It is widely known that Crossfire cannot function without exclusive mode.

Real fullscreen is exclusive, where the game has full control over the screen output, bypassing the OS window manager. The most important reason to offer an exclusive fullscreen mode so that AMD Crossfire works.

4. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Ah, I see now, I believe this feature was added in https://unity3d.com/pt/node/6618 in 4.5.3

• Windows Player: Added option to run in either exclusive full-screen mode or windowed full-screen mode with DirectX 9. DirectX 11 always runs in “windowed fullscreen” mode now. This fixes Alt-Tab issues and “run in background” functionality, among other things.

5. erode

erode

So if a developer has chosen to utilize DX11, there is no exclusive fullscreen mode, but with DX9 the option is always there? That's less than ideal. I think the option should always exist, if possible.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The rust developer has the option to use exclusive fullscreen if he wants to. It's not an issue here. It's up to them. In 5, we have made builds in DX11 with and without exclusive mode so contact the developer.

7. erode

erode

Thank you for your responses and clarification. I'll pass this request along to them.

8. Hazor

Hazor

Hey

I think the problem is with network as the player will loose the sync so developers disable exclusive mode.... Am i missing something? I

Alloc explain it here...

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showt...dow)/page2&s=8cdb072a2e97ec4e7d87b063902ac316

I see rust, 7 days to die, cities skylines.... all them have posts about this issue of not beign able of use Gsync, DSR, SLI, Crossfire, 3d Vision ....

forcing dx9 from command line works but...is dx9

Not sure if it's possible, but for me the best option is to disable ALT-TAB on game or do Quitgame when not on focus not use borderless fullscreen instead...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015