Search Unity

Wierd blotches from emission & inconsistency in GI on level-elements!?

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by QuasiHobo, Jul 8, 2015.

1. QuasiHobo

QuasiHobo

Hey,

I posted a thread some months ago without any answers - And since I have still not been able to come around these 2 problems. I would really appreciate some suggestions/advise, since the amount of hours spent trying to wrap my head around Enligthen is way too high :D

1. We have a TV screen emitting light in the scene - And it causes some weird blotches on some of the environment. The screen has an emission value of 6 and is checked important GI as well as default-high parameters. The rest of the scene is using the following default parameters:

2. The other problem is these wierd seams/inconsistencies at what seems like random places where our level elements are snapped together. These inconsistencies are more or less visible depending on ambient settings. In the screen shot below I made ambient source a sold white, where it is the most visible.

Best and with high hopes,

QuasiHobo

2. Kuba

Kuba

Hey,

1. It seems that different texels in your scene see the emissve material and others don't. How good a view of the scene the texel has is defined by the Irradiance Budget (the amount of data a texel uses) and Irradiance Quality (the amount of rays that are used to calculate this data). The former has an influence on the speed at runtime, the latter only on the precompute time.
    I can see that you increased the Irradiance Budget from the default 128 to 512. Could you try increasing it further? If that doesn't improve it, please increase the Irradiance Quality.

2. This issue seems like the stitching not working too well in your scene. Generally stitching is hard and the algorithm that Enlighten uses requires UV chart (aka island) edges to be vertical or horizontal and the same amount of texels on both sides of the seam to be stitched.

We would appreciate if you could submit a bug report on the second issue to see if we can improve this case. If it turns out that my suggestions do not solve the first issue, please submit a bug report on that too.

3. QuasiHobo

QuasiHobo

Hi Kuba,

Thank you very much for the reply and suggestions given! I played around with the irradiance budget as well as the irradiance quality, which seems to have removed or at least severely minimized the artefacts regarding the emission :)

For the second problem.. I randomly started some optimization of the scene by merging the different level-elements (not welding vertices) into bigger chunks. This made all of the artefacts go away for some reason. Maybe this information can help some others, encountering the artefacts while building levels from a modular approach.

Do you still want me to file a bug repport?

Best,

QuasiHobo

4. Kuba

Kuba

A bug report with a scene showing the problematic object(s) before welding (with issues) and after welding (without issues) would be good. Just welding the vertices shouldn't really affect the case I was describing.

5. QuasiHobo

QuasiHobo

Okay I will do that :) - And for the record, I did NOT weld the vertices. Just "merged" the different meshes into bigger single meshes using the "Simple Mesh Combiner" from asset store. Like all modular level-elements in each room into one :)

6. SpiriTx

SpiriTx

Graphics QA

Hey,

If you reported a bug on this, could you please specify the case number?

7. QuasiHobo

QuasiHobo

The case number is: Case 712673 :)

8. SpiriTx

SpiriTx

Graphics QA

Thanks, great project! Repro'ed and passed to devs.

9. jakejolli

jakejolli

A little off-topic, but this game looks cool. Like the graphical style. Where/when can I find it?

ImpossibleRobert likes this.
  10. QuasiHobo

QuasiHobo

Just came back around this post - Sorry I didnt see your comment before now jakejolli :) Thanks a lot for the interest in the game.. We are still quite early in development, but you can follow the project on our twitter: https://twitter.com/skyldgame and/or on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/skyldgame/

Best,

QuasiHobo