Search Unity

Why Unity 5 splash screen logo is bigger than Unity 4?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MinhDao, Oct 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MinhDao

MinhDao

Hi,

I've just build my game on android with unity 5 personal edition. When I open my game, OMG the Unity logo is too big and look horrible on my phone. It much bigger than unity 4. I just want to know how I get Unity logo in splash screen small like Unity 4. My game is landscape only. Is there any option to edit size of it?

Thank you!

---Updated---
    I added screenshots to show what difference between two version. Which is better:

Unity 4 :

Unity 5 :

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  2. outasync

outasync

I have the same problem, on 5.2.1 it also has a border and you can see the image outline.

3. MinhDao

MinhDao

When the game is portrait, splash screen is same as Unity 4. But when game is landscape, the logo in splash screen is much bigger than Unity 4, making it look horrible! Can I get it look like Unity 4?

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Can you show a screen grab from the phone? Just want to rule out the possibility it's got messed up DPI or such.

5. MinhDao

MinhDao

I've never seen any splash screen like this! Really horrible.

6. Meltdown

Meltdown

It looks beautiful, what are you talking about?? :D

7. MinhDao

MinhDao

What? A giant logo with black border is beautiful :confused:. I've just want it look like unity 4 :(

8. elmar1028

elmar1028

The new 5.2 looks ugly. I am 100% cool with having a Unity logo at the beginning but not the ugly one!
    It would be awesome if we could choose what type of Unity logo to show.

darkhog likes this.
  9. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

Both are the same ?!

Yea, 5 seems to be bigger, but hey U5 is free.. I don't get it how you can complain about a splash screen then.o_O;)

Kiwasi and zombiegorilla like this.
  10. elmar1028

elmar1028

I am 100% cool with having a Unity Splash Screen, but I am not cool with having an ugly one :/

darkhog likes this.
  11. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

This is a serious question:

MinhDao posted both versions (4 and 5), and both look exactly the same (almost.) So what do you mean with ugly?

edit:
    The dirt effect?
    I would say this is part of Unity Tech. corporate identity and their decision. But I see what you mean. I would also prefer the a clean version Yes! and in comparison to the website, just a clean logo on a dark blue background would work + more neutral look

edit2: OK it's too early 07:41 am and after a third look BOTH look the same!! ;D

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  12. MinhDao

MinhDao

Please see size of them and the black border. It's not looking professional. I haven't any problem with old splash screen in Unity 4

13. elmar1028

elmar1028

There are visible borders when Unity Splash Screen is displayed on Android mobile devices. Unit 4 and 5 splash screens are okay. But not 5.2!

darkhog likes this.
  14. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

@Dennis_eA they mean that the glow of the larger logo extends so far into the edges of the texture that the borders are visible. On a pure black Background this makes the logo texture appear to have seams at the edges where it should blend into 100% black.

I agree that this should be fixed but I am not sure if it is really a fault of the art Team but if maybe devices brighten the logo to a non-black Background.

15. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

now. I. see.

ty

16. outasync

outasync

I've just looked through the issue tracker and I can't seem to find a bug report on this, has anyone reported it?

17. Samuel411

Samuel411

Either I'm blind or they both look the same! The only difference I see is the size of the splash screen.

18. MinhDao

MinhDao

I don't think it hard to see the difference. But if you look they are both same, just build a sample and run it on Android device (landscape mode)!

19. MinhDao

MinhDao

20. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Ah, I see the border now, it doesn't show up very well on my phone (ironically). I agree, the edge is a bit clunky, it looks less like a slash screen, and more like a image stuck on.

21. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Unity splash could definitely do with a do-up

darkhog likes this.
  22. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hi all,

So this is my bad for not getting someone on this sooner - we have plans and graphics ready to push an updated splash screen that matches our modern Made With Unity branding, and yes, it looks a lot nicer than the 4x upscaled one you're referring to here. We're discussing it with our platform developers today and will hopefully be able to push it to a version of Unity sooner than later.

Here's a preview of what we'll be adding -
    mwu-preview.jpg
    Cheers

Will

Prodigga, mh114, karl_jones and 7 others like this.
  23. Moonjump

Moonjump

They do look a lot better. Does that mean you are dropping the "Personal Edition" wording?

elmar1028 and darkhog like this.
  24. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

My guess would be that "made with personal edition" will still be added underneath. Just like with standalones.

25. darkhog

darkhog

Gosh, I hope not, but you're probably right.

elmar1028 likes this.
  26. elmar1028

elmar1028

They look sick! :D Hope that's for all platforms

27. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Yes I'm afraid the Personal Edition wording will still be there - this is just an example of the design. I thought it'd be gratuitous to post all 4 just to show that phrase.

28. Archania

Archania

can you just leave out that wording about the Personal Edition out and see if it just slides on by? A lot of people will be very happy :)

darkhog likes this.
  29. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

That's sweet. Thanks for showing!

30. Moonjump

Moonjump

Thank you for making it clear. I was hoping that would change before it was too late for me to return to Unity.

darkhog likes this.
  31. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

It's the biggest logo yet because unity 5 is the biggest release yet ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Who decided that would be a good idea? How many innocent threads have died discussing UT's decision to make this part of the splash screen? How many more have to die in the future?

darkhog and jpthek9 like this.
  32. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hi guys,

You do realise that Unity as a business needs some money so that they can keep those people hired that make your entitled engine software. So yeah, there's this thing about upgrading to remove the splash screen.

33. jpthek9

jpthek9

butbutbut we're indies :c

34. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I'd rather throw unity 50% of my unity-related-revenue than see that thing every time I launch my game. Maybe you guys could come out with a hobbyist license? My games are probably not going to be seen by anyone other than a small circle of friends and a handful of community members.

And it's not even about splash screens in general. I liked the powered by unity splash screen. The personal edition one makes me acknowledge that I contribute nothing to unity's betterment :p

darkhog likes this.
  35. thegamer1234

thegamer1234

Umm.. isn't the splash screen something which appears at the beginning when someone opens a unity game?
    If so doesn't it appear only for a few seconds?
    Correct me if i'm wrong

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    Ryiah likes this.
  36. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Yes, but we're entitled. Those few seconds add up during development :mad:

37. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'm not sure what kind of comment this is. Why are you using logic and reason on the forums?

Ryiah likes this.
  38. darkhog

darkhog

It's not about the splash screen, it's about "personal edition" wording, specifically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.