Search Unity

Why "timeCreated" in meta file keeps changing?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Zephyr-Zhang, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Zephyr-Zhang

Zephyr-Zhang

Hi,

My team uses Git for version control. After upgraded Unity to 5.3, we found the “timeCreated” value in meta files always keeps changing, see:

QQ截图20160223112221.png

Almost every time when I want to commit my work,there are many meaningless "timeCreated" changes in lots of meta files. It's very annoying. I have to discard them all, or commit them all , neither is good practice. Is there a way to prevent it ?

2. Xtro

Xtro

So annoying bug!

Can unity team respond please?

3. Spacew00t

Spacew00t

I'm having the same exact problem. It's becoming a a huge pain. I'm on 5.3.3f1, OSX.

4. realworld666

realworld666

Same problem here. I thought it was PrefabEvolution causing this. I assume nobody else is using that plugin and that this is a Unity bug?

5. Xtro

Xtro

We use PE but still I think it's a Unity bug.

6. watsonsong

watsonsong

I met the same problem~

7. Xtro

Xtro

8. Pablo-Isidro

Pablo-Isidro

Same problem here, this is really annoying :(

9. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

It's not a bug, but a design flaw (in my opinion). To change a texture in your project at edit time, you have to use the TextureImporter. When you set a value, import, then set the value back to the previous one and import again, I would expect no assets to be changed, because I haven't actually changed any values. But Unity assumes that I want to know the time of the last import and updates the timeCreated flag. This might be helpful in some cases, but in a lot of other cases, I don't want this to ever be updated, because it causes changes for my source control system.

At least, there should be an option to set this behaviour from code, so I can chose if I want to update the timeCreated flag or not. Or better, allow changing of textures in the editor without having to import the asset multiple times, just to set a temporary value.

10. delexaet

delexaet

Just wondering, have there been any followup on this issue?