Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the ugly Personal Edition splash screen?

Discussion in 'Android' started by Prodigga, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Prodigga

Prodigga

Any reason the Android splash screen looks like crap? Isn't there an animated Unity splash icon that is usually shown like on PC?

Am I missing something?

Can we at least make the background of the splash black so it doesn't look like a random floating image and more like a full screen splash lol.

leni8ec likes this.
  2. Sandler

Sandler

I had the same question. Its like a hint to get unity once your game is finished.. :)

3. PedroDuran

PedroDuran

I have the same issue too. i hope that unity fix this problem SOON.!

4. Prodigga

Prodigga

Sooooo bump on this one. Should I submit a bug report? I don't know how to progress forward with this. It is a glarring issue on AMOLED screens.

Maybe this will make the problem more obvious, I've made it brighter. (it is hard to see on desktop).

You can see how the unity Splash image is just floating there - it's border does not even match the backdrop color. Looks really cheap.

5. outasync

outasync

They broke it 2 versions ago, and they just ignore any post about it. It shouldn't need a bug report because it was broken intentionally to make way for the new splash screen that seems to just be left out of the android build.
    Revert to 5.1, the splash screen is fine and it's more stable than the newer builds.

6. mh114

mh114

From what I've understood the new splash screen will be in 5.4 (it's not yet in beta 2, I think). Still kinda bummer they won't fix that nasty non-black rectangle around the logo in a patch before 5.4.

Dantus likes this.
  7. Prodigga

Prodigga

Do you have a source for this?

8. mh114

mh114

9. Prodigga

Prodigga

Cool. From the latest Beta release notes:

Can anyone with beta access confirm?

10. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

11. Punfish

Punfish

I've seen Unity splash screens where it blends perfectly, and I don't see it to be distasteful in any way. However, that splash is quite ugly without any blending. It wouldn't discourage me from playing the game but the image could definitely be improved upon.

12. Prodigga

Prodigga

Apparently it is fixed in the beta. No one seems to want to confirm it though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

13. Punfish

Punfish

I prefer UE4 over Unity anyway. It's a smaller community but the devs feel more on point with fixes. It's also growing quite fast and has a better license. Free to download, you only share royalties if you make a certain amount per quarter.

14. Dantus

Dantus

If UE4 is better, you shouldn't waste your time here.

IgnisIncendio and the_motionblur like this.
  15. Punfish

Punfish

I never said any engine was better than the other, just that UE4 worked out for me over Unity. If someone is learning game development they should consider all their options. I started with Unity but it didn't feel very intuitive. Actually, what it took me about five weeks in Unity I was able to do in one using UE4. Ultimately I ended up making my game with UE4 because the of the visual scripting; which helped a ton for someone just learning game design.

Each engine has it's perks and some of Unity's perks are the very helpful community, better documentation, and a tremendous amount of assets.

16. Prodigga

Prodigga

Cool, but keep it on topic please. This is a thread about the Android splash screen not about which engine is better and why.

IgnisIncendio, Mario_Basha and Fab4 like this.
  17. mh114

mh114

Now that 5.4 is still way off (which is good, of course), could we get a fix for this ugly splash screen on 5.3? Even if it's just a gamma adjustment or something, just to get rid of the ugly bright background around the logo. Ping @karl.jones ?

18. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

I actually went back to do this the other day and it had already been done :)
    Have you tried the latest version, it seemed fixed when i checked it.

mh114 likes this.
  19. MinhDao

MinhDao

I tested with Unity 5.3.4f1 and it still not fixed. What unity version you tried?

20. Prodigga

Prodigga

Come on guys lol

21. MinhDao

MinhDao

Many topics about it (reddit, unity forum). But it not fixed. I really don't understand

MrEsquire and Prodigga like this.
  22. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

At least on a Samsung S3 I'm still getting an image with a visible border, as well.

23. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I also get this on a non-AMOLED screen, so it's an issue that seriously needs addressing... :D (Except they apparently did, no fix yet though... maybe 5.3.3 has a fix? Anyone checked?)

24. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Hey. Seems I was mistaken, the image is still slightly off. I'll get it fixed and maybe adjust the colours on my monitor :(

mh114 and Prodigga like this.
  25. MinhDao

MinhDao

Do you have estimate for this? On next patch release or next unity version?

26. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Next weeks patch hopefully. 5.4 has a different splashscreen.

Prodigga, the_motionblur and MinhDao like this.
  27. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

@karl.jones Awesome - thanks. :)
    Will mobile get an awesome intro animated splash like desktop as well at some point?
    (Or does it already have one and I just don't know about it?)

28. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Well in 5.4 the splashscreen is the same for most platforms but It is not animated. We do have plans to introduce improvements and animation back in the future and want to keep it consistent between platforms. The future splashscreen is still in planning so no eta.
    I managed to get the android splashscreen blending fixed so it should be in next weeks patch.

Prodigga, AndreiKubyshkin and mh114 like this.
  29. Player7

Player7

5.4 android splash screen sucks..

previous one was way way better.. who wants to get a screen full of white flashed in there face the moment they start up a unity game because the first thing they see is a unity logo.. not me.

dont care for animation.. honestly just give us some choices.. black, white, tiny, animated.. nothing.

just gimme this logo option back...

could remove the glow behind the logo.. i don't care. just no freaking white background.

electric_jesus and MrEsquire like this.
  30. Prodigga

Prodigga

Dude, you need to pay $225 a month for the abillity to customize the splash screen on iOS and Android, I don't think they will give you any options. ;)

Could you share a screenshot of the 5.4 splash screen? (Slightly offtopic, sorry)

31. Player7

Player7

Sure, it looks like this...

32. Sandler

Sandler

Looks cleaner and more professional. But its true, white background with black content is kinda wrong. Especially on Smartphones this flashes the users.
    Black background with white content is waaay better for the eyes and even highlightes the unity logo better.
    Im using a samsung galaxy google nexus, when i start it, the screen is black and there only stands Google in white on black.
    And this just looks perfect, still so simple. I could live with that, but as a perfectionist i have to say white on black beats black on white.

boombaby likes this.
  33. boombaby

boombaby

You're so damn right! Nothing against simplicity, but please... not so bright! Mobile Users will really not like this, and the design is somewhat a warning sign, or am I wrong? In the state that it's in, I think it unfortunately has potential to shed some more bad light on Unity Indie games.

34. Milenchy

Milenchy

This "Personal Edition" text needs to go away.

35. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Agree with that. I see the point in showing the logo, but why does the user care if it was made with personal or professional edition?

36. Prodigga

Prodigga

Its there to further "incentivise" a pro license so not going away any time soon. Pitty most of us Indies don't benifit from a pro license at all except for splash screen removal. Just let me pay $20 p/m to remove it. I don't want cloud build and all that other junk included in the $225 p/m license. Unity, why you not want my money.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    mh114 likes this.
  37. Player7

Player7

Its shaming, might aswel name it "scrub edition" :p

And made by.. or powered by..

I go with powered by.. sounds better..

made by.. gives the impression the game was made by Unity.. screw that! :p blood sweet and tears +dealing with Unity bugs went into making this awesome (or not so awesome) game you're about to play.. but it is powered by Unity

38. mh114

mh114

It's actually "Made with". But yeah, "Powered by" would be my preference too.

39. bnatividad

bnatividad

So this is still not fixed for 5.3.x? :(

40. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

What version are you trying? The blending on Android is fixed in 5.3.4p1 and above.

41. idurvesh

idurvesh

42. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Hey. Sorry I'm not sure I follow. Is the problem that its showing the splashscreen or the duration?
    Can you file a bug report with further details and post the bug id here? i'll take a look.

idurvesh likes this.
  43. idurvesh

idurvesh

No actually its not bug, What I am saying is ...When I load empty scene apk on my android, the Unity's default splash screen shows up for atleast 1-2 seconds....Whereas in above game I linked the Unity's default splash screen shows up only for less than half a second....My question is how can I reduce display time of Unity's default splash screen like that game ?

44. idurvesh

idurvesh

@karl.jones I have captured videos to explain in more depth,

This video is of that game I linked above, see how quickly default splash screen gets fade,

Here is video from my game which just contains empty scene as first screen,

As you see in first video Unity splash screen takes almost less than half seconds whereas in second video it takes more than 1 second....

So to rephrased my question is how can I able to achieve same fast fade of splash screen like as in first video...

45. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

We had a bug on Android where the splash screen would not show up for very long when loading a large(ish) scene. This looks like the issue here, so its not a feature but a bug that was fixed. The actual splashscreen time is hard coded to 4.5 secs, its not changeable at the moment and is unlikely to change in the foreseeable future.

idurvesh likes this.
  46. idurvesh

idurvesh

Thanks for clarification....

karl_jones likes this.
  47. SkyTech6

SkyTech6

That new white background splash screen... is reason enough not to use 5.4 for apps.

48. 00christian00

00christian00

Is it a typo? 4.5 sound like an eternity and not what I see in my builds. It's the new white splash screen duration?

49. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Yeah 4.5 secs from engine start. 0.7 of that is used for fading out at the end.

It goes

3.8 secs: Logo(full draw)
    0.5 secs: Fade logo
    0.2 secs: Fade background

The first part can be delayed by the engine starting up so its always possible that it may be a little shorter depending on the platform.

50. Prodigga

Prodigga

@karl.jones First part can be delayed - so is that to say:

x secs: Engine initialization (with Logo(full draw))
    3.8 secs: Engine is idle (with Logo(full draw))
    0.5 secs: Fade logo
    0.2 secs: Fade background

Where 'x' is different based on the hardware. So a slower device which might take 2 or 3 seconds to initialise the engine will show the Unity 'Personal Edition' logo for about 5.8 - 6.8 seconds?