Search Unity

Why is altering AnimationClip paths in a custom editor so awkward and sluggish?

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by Xelnath, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Xelnath

Xelnath

In order to change the animation path of a few curves, I have to do the following:

Code (csharp):
    3.                 for (int i = 0; i < curves.Count; i++) {
    4.                     EditorCurveBinding binding = (EditorCurveBinding)curves[i];
    5.                     AnimationCurve curve = AnimationUtility.GetEditorCurve(animationClip, binding);
    6.                     ObjectReferenceKeyframe[] objectReferenceCurve = null;
    8.                     if (path == oldPath) {
    10.                         if (curve != null) {
    11.                             AnimationUtility.SetEditorCurve(animationClip, binding, null);
    12.                         } else {
    13.                             objectReferenceCurve = AnimationUtility.GetObjectReferenceCurve(animationClip, binding);
    14.                             AnimationUtility.SetObjectReferenceCurve(animationClip, binding, null);
    15.                         }
    17.                         binding.path = newPath;
    19.                         if (curve != null) {
    20.                             AnimationUtility.SetEditorCurve(animationClip, binding, curve);
    21.                         } else {
    22.                             AnimationUtility.SetObjectReferenceCurve(animationClip, binding, objectReferenceCurve);
    23.                         }
    24.                     }
    25.                 }
    It seems utterly ridiculous that I cannot simply do

Code (csharp):
    2. binding.path = newPath
    I am writing a tool that automates some animation hierarchy problems with importing animations... and it is actually faster for me to parse the .prefab file, perform a text replace, then reimport the prefab than it is to change the binding.path inside the editor.

Help me, Unity Jedis!

2. BMayne

BMayne

Hey there,

Are you editing a ton of animations when you run this script or is it sluggish even with one animation?

3. Xelnath

Xelnath

Hey BMayne,

It is sluggish, even with one animation. When there's 10, it goes from 5-6 seconds of unresponsiveness to 30-40.

I can help with repro steps here if you would like them.

4. Xelnath

Xelnath

Also - I've temporarily given up on this method of editing. I am now copying out every curve into a new animation from scratch and saving it to a new .anim file, then mass deleting the animations and renaming them afterwards.

The result is many hundreds of times faster and doesn't result in workflow disruption.

5. BMayne

BMayne

I was going to say if it's just when you edit a ton of assets It might just be that you are missing

Code (CSharp):
    1.       AssetDatabase.StartAssetEditing();
    3.       //Edit your assets
    5.       AssetDatabase.StopAssetEditing();
    Ass

6. Xelnath

Xelnath

Trying this now...

Edit: That helped significantly! Still slow, but now all 10 clips take 10 seconds, instead of each one taking 10 seconds.

BMayne likes this.