Search Unity

Why does the fullscreen bug have no priority?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by movra, Aug 10, 2015.

1. movra

movra

2. movra

movra

All kinds of different behavior. Could someone explain what's going on? Can we expect a fix in 5.2?

Testing non-native aspect ratio fullscreen on 1920x1200 desktop resolution:

1024x768 Unity 5.1.2p3 DX11:

upload_2015-8-10_16-47-20.png

1024x768 Unity 5.1.2p3 DX9:

upload_2015-8-10_16-47-57.png

1024x768 Unity 5.2.0b6 DX11:

upload_2015-8-10_16-48-9.png

1024x768 Unity 5.2.0b6 DX9:

upload_2015-8-10_16-48-15.png

CanisLupus and shkar-noori like this.
  3. carking1996

carking1996

I have also seen this issue.

4. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Because if I'm not mistake its a Unity GUI issue and as far as I can see GUI bugs have been taking there sweet time to be fixed maybe because they all low priority. Not ashamed to say I been moaning about Unity GUI bugs for some time now..Asking what happened to the team and if they still working on stuff, so far lot has been fixed, but slow progress.

5. movra

movra

It's not only uGUI though. There seem to be several related problems at play at the same time.
    1. Borderless fullscreen at non-native aspect ratio = incorrect scaling
    2. Different scaling behavior of D3D9 vs D3D11
    3. Different scaling behavior of the public releases vs betas
    4. Mouse position incorrectly calculated
    Furthermore some people reported the above doesn't happen on Windows 10 nor in exclusive mode.

The mouse position problem also affects 3rd party non-Unity GUI frameworks such as NoesisGUI. Here's a comment from its developers:

6. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Not a 5.2 specific feature and pushing for ETAs/schedules isn't assisting us in any way.
    In checking on things for 704405:

1. It's been noted as a input issue internally, and being marked duplicate of another bug
    2. This input issue is marked fixed, though not clear in landing in which build/release.
    May not make 5.2 final build, but possibly a patch-release.

Moving thread to UI forum as this is not 5.2 specific.

7. movra

movra

What's not assisting us is you not putting this issue in a Known Issues section in the Release Notes. Result: many, many hours lost on self-doubt and looking for the problem on our side. I'm so tired.

And how would we know that it isn't 5.2 specific? I found the problem in 5.2. The described behavior changes on every 5.2 beta. The behavior is different than in 5.1. Both Graphics and UI are on the 5.2 feature list.

What about the aspect ratio problem then? Is there an existing bug report for that or should I create one? As shown in my screenshots, it's a graphics thing, not just an input issue.

CanisLupus and Peter Suwara like this.
  8. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Known issuing everything would be equally pointless. We'd be listing the bug database. We're trying to highlight the main issues via known issues. We're working on improving tracking and listing bug numbers being fixed in the future, but unfortunately it's not a process we have right now.

Ok, I see - you're conflating things. That confuses us even more. I was talking about the initial stated bug with the original post which was _not_ 5.2. You then added another post pointing a separate issue of aspect ratios. Without a separate bug report I didn't look for anything else. Please submit a bug report for that since it looks 5.2 related to the 5.2 forum.

9. oglepole

oglepole

Not to beat a dead horse...but I am still seeing pretty much all of the issues listed by original poster - has anyone heard any updates on the issues? One of them appears to be "Resolved", but the mouse input fix does not do us much good if the aspect ratio/resolution is completely fried. I am kind of baffled how little attention this bug is getting, how are people dealing with aspect ratio/resolutions/full screen with this kind of issue going on? Is there a work around that I am obviously missing somewhere? Because I for the life of me can not get a custom options menu to work with the current issues going on unless I set the thing to Exclusive, which seem like a horrible idea.

movra likes this.
  10. movra

movra

Maybe everyone thinks their graphic drivers are faulty. It's such an obvious problem and there's no mention about it in the Known Issues, so it can't possibly be the game engine, right?

11. godsinmyroom

godsinmyroom

I've spent hours thinking that this is my graphic driver fault. But them it happened in another computer. Same issue, if not in the actual resolution of the graphic card the output is messed up (show only in the half of the screen) and no input. Spend all the day trying to find a workaround, but no success. And when I change the screen resolution on windowed, I get a blank screen, the ui redraws only if I manually change the size of the screen (non-fixedA borders).
    Them I played all the games that I have on my Steam and that I know that were made with Unity. Mostly still in versions 4.x and running very well. One in 5.1 with no problem. The other with versions 5.2 same issue.

Woodlauncher likes this.
  12. godsinmyroom

godsinmyroom

The patch 5.2.0p1 fixed it.

But only in full screen. Windowed mode still have issues.

13. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

5.2.1 should be out soon. If the error still persists can you report it?

Ony likes this.
  14. godsinmyroom

godsinmyroom

Yes, I think I can.

15. Doddler

Doddler

I think this is still an issue in Unity 5.2.1. :(

16. movra

movra

I can confirm that I have the same issue with Unity 5.2.1.

I build and run the game. In the launcher I select 1366x768 Windowed.

upload_2015-9-23_14-23-10.png

Using Screen.SetResolution() I increase the resolution to 1600x1024 Windowed: the render is distorted. Not only the UI, but also the Cube mesh.

Also, the mouse input position does not align with the UI anymore. When I press the dropdown arrow, the button below it is clicked instead (hence the 3).

upload_2015-9-23_14-23-23.png

With a bit of guesswork to locate the dropdown I decrease the resolution, for example 640x480 Windowed. Both the UI and the mesh have disappeared until resizing the window through dragging the handle.

upload_2015-9-23_14-23-33.png

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
    godsinmyroom likes this.
  17. godsinmyroom

godsinmyroom

Yes, same here. In fullscreen is working, in the windowed is exactly what @movra shows :(

18. movra

movra

In D3D9 Mode changing the resolution in either windowed mode or full screen mode will make the UI disappear but not the mesh. Also I can't get the UI to return after manually dragging the border of the window.

Launching at 720x576:

upload_2015-9-24_19-39-21.png

After switching to 640x480:

upload_2015-9-24_19-40-58.png

Restarting at 720x576 and switching to 800x800:

upload_2015-9-24_19-56-3.png

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  19. Doddler

Doddler

20. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Hi.
    It is being investigated, the case will likely reopen or a new one will be created.
    Feel free to submit a bug report if you have a good reproduction of the issue.

21. kenshin

kenshin

@karl.jones Hi Karl,
    I have the same problem, this is very annoying.
    Is there any workaround?

Peter Suwara likes this.
  22. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

same problem here... on DX11

23. Peter Suwara

Peter Suwara

Bumping this.

5.2.0f3, our particular issue revolves around problems with the editor in switching Game Viewports from landscape and portrait, with the mouse position being correct in landscape but incorrect in portrait. This results in us unable to test GUI in the Editor.

We pay you guys quite a lot of money to GET ON TOP OF THE BASICS ! Especially things like UI.

A full version license without working mouse support... Perhaps if you had Unity offer all the code like Unreal Engine that would make it easier for us to "ASSIST" you.

Please stop playing the victim and insulting your customers and actually fix the issue.

Extremely poor effort in your response @Alex Lian !

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    movra likes this.
  24. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

My understanding is the issue is caused by setting the resolution from script, seems the UI system is not notified of this change. So if you use the resolution selector instead of your own then that should be a possible workaround in some cases.

kenshin likes this.
  25. CanisLupus

CanisLupus

Any ETA on this fix? I was about to update to 5.2.1 (from 5.2) but saw users saying that it was still not fixed. User movra reported this in August, with very clear images of the problem... The game displays stretched and offscreen, and yields different results based on resolution/aspect ratio (all clicks respond in the correct places, but graphics are just completely wrong). Even the Unity splash screen is broken!

It's very problematic. This is forcing everyone that wants to run a game in fullscreen to run it at the native resolution. This is clearly not feasible for those with high DPI screens and is a max priority bug!

26. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

27. CanisLupus

CanisLupus

To me, the problem is happening in DX9 Windows Standalone builds (don't know about DX11), but I don't think the issue you linked from the issue tracker is the same as what I describe. What I describe is what movra reports in the second post of this thread (the issue that even affects the splash screen), and it still happens to me in Unity 5.2. I have submitted an example project for the problem last friday. I haven't received a response yet, probably because issues from 5.2.1 are prioritized over ones from 5.2, but users are saying this still happens there.

28. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

You should have received a response with a bug id as soon as you submitted the bug. We did have an issue with the bug reporter the other week that caused some bug reports to not go through. If you did not at least get an automated response with a bug id then please resubmit.

29. CanisLupus

CanisLupus

Sorry for the confusion. I did receive the automated response, just not the follow up saying if the bug was reproduced or not, closed due to duplication, etc, hence why I believe it wasn't checked yet.

I was counting on receiving it soon, since I had reported multiple (4) bugs specific to Unity 5.2 before - which broke our games in several ways - and got the response pretty fast. But this time there is a more recent version of Unity available, so those might be prioritized.

30. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Do you have the bug id? I can check.

31. CanisLupus

CanisLupus

Sure, it's case 730531. Thanks!

32. CanisLupus

CanisLupus

Hey everyone. I received a response to the bug report saying that the problem is not reproducible in Unity 5.2.1p1 (that's the current patch version). I downloaded it from here, and indeed, full screen resolution seems to be always correct now for me (DX9). That's great!

Thanks to Karl if he made the reply process quicker. :) This was an urgent matter for me.

33. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

:)
    The UI disappearing on DX9 issue still exists though, we are currently working on this.

34. CanisLupus

CanisLupus

Just so other people know (in case they want to update), I have found a bug in 5.2.1p1 where Image components set to Filled do not visually update correctly (I don't know if it happens in normal 5.2.1). We need this to work... :( I have submitted a bug report.

If I may say, I think recent Unity updates are breaking a lot of stuff that could be caught by the Unity team having a few large test projects (2D and 3D) and briefly testing them in the new version before releasing to the public. That is, if unit tests don't catch those before. Unity 5.2 was especially bad in the bug department. Just an opinion.

EDIT: And if you do have test projects, besides unit tests, you might be missing a few test scenes with filled images. ;)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    shkar-noori likes this.
  35. movra

movra

Here are the binaries I used for the screenshots above. You can toy around to see if you can find some more interesting behavior.

TestFullscreen 5.2.1p1 DX11

TestFullscreen 5.2.1p1 DX9

(Hint: launch the DX11 version in full screen 1024x768 and use the dropdown to switch to 640x480 or 1366x768)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  36. godsinmyroom

godsinmyroom

I don't know if this have anything with this bug, that persists in the windowed mode. But, it started in the version 5.1, when the bug appeared first (fullscreen and windowed).

I'm working with my project, everything is ok, I save the project, quit Unity. When I open the project again, the last scene is opened automaticaly and this message appears in the debug panel:

Screen position out of view frustum (screen pos 0.000000, 0.000000, 1000.000000) (Camera rect 0 0 0 0)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

In every scene that I use the new UI objects. But everything still working. But not in the compiled project, that have the problem with UI not updating when the resolution is changed in the windowed mode.

37. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

This does not seem to be related. Can you report it as a new bug. We now have a fix for the DX9 UI bug and the DX11 resolution bug. Just working on getting them finalised.

godsinmyroom and movra like this.
  38. godsinmyroom

godsinmyroom

I'll report as a bug, but this one doesn't give any problem at all. Only appears when you open a project and the scene loaded when the editor start to run have UI. After the project is opened, it doesn't appear again.

Looks something like: ops, I'm trying to draw the UI before the editor is running :)

karl_jones likes this.
  39. sevensails

sevensails

I have another problem... When first starting the game on fullscreen with Unity 5.2.1, Screen.currentResolution is returning some strange values.

currentResolution: 304 / 201

but I little before I log this, the log shows :

desktop: 1920x1080 60Hz; virtual: 3840x1080 at -1920,0

Which is correct!

How can I got the correct value? Will 5.2.1p3 be released today?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  40. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The patch is due today, tomorrow at the latest. If the patch does not fix your problem create a bug report regarding your resolution issues.

41. movra

movra

Sorry, I reported that issue a while ago but didn't post it on the forum. Yesterday I got an e-mail that it's fixed.

karl_jones likes this.
  42. Alabatross

Alabatross

I'm still getting this in 5.3, could it be an option I'm missing?

43. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Which version are you using? I think you may be suffering from a different bug that was caused by the multiple display system. A full fix went into this weeks patch 5.3.1p3.

44. Alabatross

Alabatross

Oh I am on dual screens, and I'm on normal 5.3.0. I'll give p3 a shot later on, thanks

45. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Ah. Are you using the multiple display system or just working on a dual screen machine? We have disabled multiple display support for the UI as it does not report the correct resolution when using a none native resolution at the moment. SO if you are using it then upgrading will not work and you will need to wait for a fix. :(

46. Alabatross

Alabatross

I'm just using a dual screen machine, I don't even know what the multiple display system is lol

47. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Then you should be fine :D

48. v.nikolaev

v.nikolaev

Hi, i am using pc with 2 monitors with different resolution, i have built the project for windows stanalone and starting it windowed, when i press alt+enter to go to the fullscreen mode i see that my ui is having wrong resolution. maybe you can say when it possibly would be fixed or should i report a bug for it?

49. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Currently no ETA on the multiple resolution fix for UI. Its something the graphics team are working on but requires a fair bit of work.