Who wants to make a Christian game with me?

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by Torsh, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Torsh

Torsh

I need:

Character Artists

I will do:

programming, texture art storyline.

PM me for the storyline.
  2. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

You should post a basic concept here. You will more than likely get a lot more people this way.
  3. bucco

bucco

lol. can we have more information?
  4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

[​IMG]

You should be more tolerant of people's religions or don't post at all.
  5. ZaGames

ZaGames

Indeed.
    It would be nice to show more respect to other people's ideas / works and even more to any religion.

It did not look very good from your part.
  6. Thomas Pasieka

Thomas Pasieka

Please keep your insulting comments to yourself. There is no reason to bash anyones religious beliefs no matter what they believe in. Be more tolerant. Thanks.
  7. DigiLusionist

DigiLusionist

As a Christian, I see comments like that all the time. They are a bit tiresome, and really unnecessary.
  8. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

All I will say is religion is a very touchy subject so be careful how you go about implementing it. Be aware also that by choosing one over the other you are probably cutting out other big market chunks. I assume you have a target market though, and I could see how some of the things in the bible could be interesting in a game, although how you would make them into a game im unsure of.
  9. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

it might be easier to market it if you research what religions, orthodox or otherwise, have in common and use that instead of limiting your audience.
  10. jessee03

jessee03

Sorry I was just trolling. I don't judge people for their religous beliefs or anything. I do have a right to my own opinion as well.
  11. jessee03

jessee03

I didn't mean to offend anyone, was just speaking my mind. I do have that right but in any case I do apologize and didn't mean any harm by it.
  12. khanstruct

khanstruct

Actually, no, you don't have that right. This is not a "free country", its the Unity forums. Of course you're entitled to have your opinion, but no one was asking for it. Either way, its said and done.

As to the game, the religious gaming market is a tough one, and historically hasn't been able to support any kind of game. There was actually an RTS several years ago (I think based on the Left Behind books), which looked pretty cool. Unfortunately, no matter how cool its features were, there just weren't enough players to justify or support it.

Good luck though.
  13. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Wrong. Unity is on the internet not in a country. Therefor they make their own rules.
  14. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Nope. Around here we are quite the dictatorship. ;) But seriously, yeah, you can't just say whatever you want here, sorry. Unity Technologies owns these forums and they set the rules. No trolling please.

--Eric
  15. Zethariel1

Zethariel1

I would actually really like to hear the story of the game -- I have never encountered a game that would be based around a religion, wonder what a story like that would look like? :)
  16. yls

yls

Actually their is a lot of christian game :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_video_game

thair is even a AVGN video about them :
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkNvQYiM6bw

But the world seems to be still waiting for a good christian game.

Jesus on a velociraptor ? It's a stupid idea because dinosaurs never existed in the bible, it's not canon. Still Jesus can ride a Leviathan, a Belemoth or Tanniyn -_- (Which could be awsome !). He could also ride a snake with legs but it would be less awsome.

By the way I would like to hear the pitch of this game :)
  17. khanstruct

khanstruct

And there's that line between religious and blasphemous.

Personally, I'm a far cry from religious, but I'm fairly certain that if you were to make a "jesus is a badass" game, you'd be actively shutting down your already small market.

I also never said there weren't any christian games. I, in fact, mentioned one. However, the mass market has never heard of any of the titles on that list.
  18. koyima

koyima

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  19. DigiLusionist

DigiLusionist

According to the Bible, Jesus suggest that he will return. As a badass. To do some serious smiting.

The Bible is chock full of violence. I don't see why a game couldn't be made based on it. Whether it would be fun and attract a large audience would depends on what the premise of the game is.
  20. DeBraveMan

DeBraveMan

Religion in video games is not a touchy subject as many AAA games have some sort of religion practice that thrust the main story onwards with the main character. Doing a Christian game would be interesting, but I would suggest a game that would question a believer's belief in the religion and his belief in Jesus Christ. I like the idea, and would like to see this happen. I may have some ideas on the concept so I may be of help, anywho good luck to you, or in Christian terms, God bless you.
  21. Torsh

Torsh

So the game is set in medieval-contemporary times and involves collecting. I created a prototype in 2D that wasn't Christian.

Also, the game has hopes of being commercial.
  22. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

I don't think a game where Jesus or any aspect of God were used would do well. However...
    Angels (especially mighty, smitey ones like Michael) are always awesome. A blazing sword of light (eat your heart out Darth Vader), the power of flight...heck, sounds good to me.

Sadly, it's become popular to put some tired spin on it...like...God is a meanie and you are rebelling (old and tired. Didn't that cause the whole garden of eden mess?). Or you have fallen in love with a human, and God will smite her when she hops on a bicycle, closes her eyes, and get flattened by a log truck...zzzzzz.

Just being an upstanding angel fighting for your God isn't passe enough anymore I guess :p
  23. Torsh

Torsh

My game hopefully curbs some of these problems. It may introduce new ones, but it curbs some of them.
  24. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Funny, the thought popped in my head..."Sheep". It would be like lemmings, but you have to influence people from certain things (drugs, violence, etc). Depending on certain factors (their age perhaps, wealth, etc) they have a certain mass. Depending on their mass, they are easier or harder to influence. Depending on their age, wealth, etc, they are attracted to various things. If you don't put up good influences to alter their path, they suffer from exposure to those negative influences.

Blaming you all the while, of course ;)
  25. LordJulian

LordJulian

I think it's safe to say that you flesh out your GDD how your game would play out before trying to get another round of smiting by the regular trolls or get your thread locked here.

If it's a non-violent, peaceful religious game, then I see no problem in having this game made, but if there is to be violence involved, it will be like finding a hay in a stackful of needles with your bare hands.
  26. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

That's really not true.

To play devil's advocate: I think it's acceptable to have a game based on violence and war and religion. This is historic (the crusades, jerusalem) and so on.

You can also portray a corrupt church in a game - assassin's creed for example. None of this is offensive to religion because it isn't attacking jesus or god, or Quran and so on.. It is portraying religion in the story being corrupted or twisted by individuals, rather than making a mockery of it.

Making a mockery of religion is the thing to avoid, or trying to make it bad. All you have to do is be non-judgemental to the ACTUAL faith. You can portray a twisted bishop as much as you like in games and literature: you're not stepping on anyone's toes.

Understanding the distinction is the mark of an intelligent person.
  27. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

You're absolutely right, hippo!
    Personally...if it were me, I'd avoid the whole "church turned evil" thing, or evil bishop/leader, whatever. It's been
    done
    to
    death.
    And very unoriginal.

I can't hardly watch a movie or read pretty much any kind of book where the bad guy isn't 1) "the church", or 2) isn't backed by "the church". I guess when using the Russians or Chinese gets too old (or we realize we are buying everything they make), we can always fall back (and usually do) on "the church".

It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so darn overdone. I JUST read a book...think it was by Niven, but maybe not. These colonists crash on a distant helix/world (not ringworld). They find alien creatures. Struggle ensues...the alien's "the church" must destroy the colonists, because they aren't prophesied about.

*SIGH*
  28. kamisama

kamisama

No offense but every christian game I've played has been horrible, It would be hard getting people to take this seriously.
  29. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

I'd be keen to see a Christian game done right. One that appeals both to christians and non christians, without being too preachy, without being moralistic, and without being condemning or condescending or patronising.

I personally don't believe it can be done, because most Christian games have an agenda. Whether it's trying to convert people, or trying to instill "christian" values in christians, the game mechanics end up being given second place to its agenda, and results in a not fun game.

A point and click adventure game, perhaps based on the missionary journeys of Paul, might be worthwhile attempting. Paul had plenty of excitement in his life (shipwrecks, bear fights, imprisonment, miraculous visions) etc, that it would make an interesting point and click adventure game. Would it appeal to non-Christians? I don't know, maybe.

Like I said, I don't think a christian computer/video game can be done right. Either you distill the message so much that it doesn't really qualify as Christian, or the gameplay negates the message.
  30. Torsh

Torsh

I've set this project aside in place of Charcoal Rock.
  31. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

I know, I just felt like adding my 2c :)