Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[CLOSED]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Unity-Trek, Nov 29, 2015.

?

Who wants a First or Third Person RTS game?

1. First Person RTS

33.3%
  2. Third Person RTS

66.7%
  3. Third & First Person RTS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. None(I don't want a FTPRTS)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unity-Trek

Unity-Trek

Who wants a First or Third Person Real-Time strategy game?
    Please post your vote above.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I've played a few. Orcs must die did it well. Dungeon keeper not so well.

The style has a bunch of interesting challenges, and so far no one has pulled it off difinitively. But good luck.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

These questions never work. People generally change their minds. One week it's pizza. Next week it's chinese.

Ryiah, ostrich160, kittik and 3 others like this.
  4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

The question is not so much Chinese versus Pizza. It's would you eat Chinese on a Pizza.

Phrase it that way and you get a sense of why so many of these genre mash ups fail. This week I want to mindlessly kill things as a super soldier. Next week I want a thinking mans strategy game. Do I want to think as a super soldier? Not so much.

theANMATOR2b, Martin_H and Meltdown like this.
  5. Unity-Trek

Unity-Trek

Thanks BoredMorman your right.
    But throughout the years I've noteced that alot of people are starving for a Third Person RTS.
    So I want to gather votes before I start to make it.

6. Martin_H

Martin_H

Could you make a normal RTS that is competitive on the current market for this genre? If not then I'm certain that making it 3rd or 1st person won't save it. Also it has been done before and often if something is a good idea it gets repeated a whole lot. I don't see many many RTS with creative perspective choices these days, so... maybe the idea is just not that great? I prefer Supreme Commander's solution where you can zoom out until you see the whole map. Don't see how I'd be having more fun if I was stuck with 1st or 3rd person perspective.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  7. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Battlezone is pretty much this, right? Really loved that game.

Being first or third person would probably do the opposite if it was approached like a typical RTS. You'd need to revisit the fundamental design.

Martin_H likes this.
  8. Martin_H

Martin_H

Agreed. I was thinking along the line of "If he can't do a top notch standard RTS, then he most definitely can't make a good one with an unusual perspective and control scheme either".

Edit: I remember 3 games/franchises had something like this. Battlezone is probably the one that I couldn't remember the name of. Uprising might be one of the others I think. And C&C Renegade maybe? Or was that just a shooter?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  9. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

Men of War is an awesome WW2 RTS me and a buddy LAN it once in awhile, like once a month maybe, real cool..

they have it so you order your troops around, but you can choose to control an individual 3rd person kinda, like you can move the camera anyway you want, but instead of being click to order a move/attack, it becomes WSAD and you aim manually its really fun.

no base building in that game though, kinda wish there was, works on supply points and you capture flags to earn points faster, spend points picking what kind of troops you want, they spawn on the edge of the map.

we been saying "wish this game had FPS" .. the textures look sorta crappy and dated, suppose thats why they didnt put in FPS ... but FPS would be cool no matter the graphics .. they look fine RTS perspective

10. Martin_H

Martin_H

Check out "Call to Arms", it is still on sale. It has a 3rd person direct control mode for vehicles. It's a bit different than in the MOW series.
    I don't think FPS controls would work with that engine.

11. neginfinity

neginfinity

There was a game called "freedom fighters". You were running around in 3rd person, and were given a squad of people to boss around. Not exactly RTS, though.

I think operation flashpoint allowed you to control people under your command, although that one was first person. Been a while since I tried to play that.

I think that's not the right way to do it. Asking for opinions on some forum will not give you reliable market data. You'll get maybe dozen people to respond - out of millions of people that play games.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    Martin_H likes this.
  12. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Anyone played: Giants: Citizens of Kabuto?

angrypenguin likes this.
  13. ostrich160

ostrich160

Honestly I'd even say one day its pizza, the next its chinese

I guess the point is, any game idea is really easy for people to say 'Yeh Id love that Id so play that', its not so easy when you have a finished product

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yup!

dogzerx2 likes this.
  15. Unity-Trek

Unity-Trek

You will have RTS and TPS views will that help?

16. Unity-Trek

Unity-Trek

I want it to be:
    When in RTS View it will be like Napoleon: Total War
    And when in TPS View it will be like Battlefront II

17. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I might not understand the question. Pretty sure I don't.

Are you asking which do we prefer or one game that has both views?

I've never played any RTS that isn't in the third person orthographic viewpoint.
    Actually thought they were all made this way with the camera floating overhead showing a section of the map with your units, buildings and local terrain visible (and perhaps some fogged areas not yet explored).

18. neginfinity

neginfinity

X3: Terran Conflict comes to mind.

In that game you can sit somewhere in distance sector and command fleets via tactical maps, build factories, complexes and economy.

OR you could join the fray yourself.

The game is a "space-sim" with 1st person and 3rd person perspectives.
    ---
    Also, Carrier Command: Gaea mission.

I'm not sure if it is a good idea. Sounds a lot like "I want to build an MMO" project.

Battlefront is a multiplayer game with somewhat small number of people present. Google says it has 40 concurrent players max.

Total War series heavily use instancing and create illusion of large crowds (a single soldier is not really an actor in traditional sense, more like a particle in a particle system).

Martin_H and GarBenjamin like this.
  19. Unity-Trek

Unity-Trek

20. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Star Wars Battlefront is a good example of how combining the genres can work. You play a FPS shooter, and the AI plays a pseudo RTS game as a backdrop.

The DOTA style games also did this, players play an RPG game in the front, while the AI plays a simplified RTS as a backdrop.

There is no reason why you couldn't drop the player in as a single FPS combatant in a more traditional RTS setting. Crafting an AI for this is probably no more complex then building the traditional set piece combats from a regular FPS.

21. Unity-Trek

Unity-Trek

Everyone cast their vote obove^^!!

22. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Why are we voting on your game design? Build a prototype that works. Then we can discuss moving the camera three feet.

Kondor0, Ryiah and Deleted User like this.
  23. Jim_West

Jim_West

landon912 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.