Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Software/Tool is used for creating Game Objects?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by inblueswithu, Jun 27, 2013.

1. inblueswithu

inblueswithu

Hi,

I'm new to Unity. While I was watching some tutorials in the website (Unity) I came across something which says that Game Objects are created outside Unity (Not primitive types like Sphere, Cylinder etc) like Person, Hand, Yo-Yo etc.

I would like to know:
    • Which Tools are used to create these Game objects outside Unity?
    • Which are most compatible for Unity importing?
    • Which are popular?
    • Which are easy or we can call for Rapid building?
    I might have sounded little different/ambiguous/OpenEnded. You can correct me as I'm a beginner here :)

Thanks in Advance,
    inblueswithu

2. XGundam05

XGundam05

A GameObject is a collection of Components and other GameObjects, and is created within Unity. Specifically, GameObject is a class within the Unity engine. The objects themselves can be created within the Unity editor or via code. The models, textures, sounds, etc. are created in external applications.

For creating the Assets (models, textures, text, sounds, etc.), nearly any editing program for the given type of asset should work.

3. inblueswithu

inblueswithu

XGundam05, then take models textures, Which are those popular in the community?

4. XGundam05

XGundam05

Honestly it boils down to personal preference and finances. Blender, for modelling, is free and quite powerful. For texture work, Blender has a 3D painting option (I've not used it yet), or you can use something like GIMP (which, again, is free).

If you've got money to spend, I've heard 3D Coat is good for 3D painting, and ZBrush is great for high-poly sculpts (which then need to be normal mapped to a lower poly model to be usable in-game).

Unity supports the direct import of .blend files (Blender), although it does convert them to .fbx in the process.

My personal preference happens to be Blender and GIMP, with some Inkscape thrown in there for good measure ;)

5. inblueswithu

inblueswithu

Thankyou for your reply XGundam05.

Anybody else ?? ;)

6. nipoco

nipoco

Maya, Blender, or 3ds Max are the most common 3d apps that work with Unity.

But be aware that none of them is easy to learn. It will take you some time until you will be able to make some simple models.

7. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Personally, Maya and Photoshop just because i'm familiar with them.
    You should be using anything that you are familiar with because that is going to get the best results.

8. Lynn Fredricks

Lynn Fredricks

I just replied to another thread related to this topic.

Help yourself to the free Shade 3D for Unity tool at miryestore.com, or if you are on the Mac, on the Mac App Store.

There is also a Shade loader script here in the Asset Store that lets you interactively edit objects, apply animation to FBX models, etc.