Search Unity

Which scripting language should I use?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by MKSchmidt, Oct 24, 2013.

1. MKSchmidt

MKSchmidt

I used to work with 3D Game Studio, and learned a lot of C-Script in the process.

Which language, JavaScript or C# would be closer to the old Game Studio C-Script?

I'm guessing C#, but only because it has the letter "c" in the name. When I look at the scripts, they seem totally different. Any ideas?

2. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

In any case use C#. :)

3. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

I also recommend C# ;)

4. Pirs01

Pirs01

5. MKSchmidt

MKSchmidt

Thanks for the feedback,

Is it because it's a better language than javascript, or because it's actually closer to c-script?

6. Pirs01

Pirs01

I don't know about c-script. C# is more power full in and outside Unity with bigger code base. You will find massive amount of ready to use C# solutions on web you can bring into your Unity game project, not quite the case with JS. Not sure but with JS I think you are restrained to what Unity Engine interface provides.

7. Dantus

Dantus

They probably based their opinion on your C experience.

Just for your information as you are new to the forum:
    This kind of thread usually becomes a debate. There is tons of examples in this forum. At a certain point it becomes a C# versus JavaScript (UnityScript) discussion and from time to time a Boo fanboy jumps in as well. It is always pretty much the same.

8. JRotter

JRotter

Hello there,

I am also new to Unity, but new to scripting / programming. I like C# more than Javascript, but still I would be interested in WHY you would C#.

Cheers,

Jens

9. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

I used to program in javascript/unityscript but learned C# and I like it a lot more now.

I'd say javascript is easier and good for beginner programmers. I mainly like C# more cause I learned programming in C++ and C# is closest to that in terms of syntax :)

10. Sajid

Sajid

I started out learning Javascript (unityscript) and that's what I know how to use now.

I really wish I had started with C#, because it's more robust and has a lot more resources out there, seeing how its impilentation in unity doesn't vary that much from its use outside of the engine.

"javascript" however, is very far from the javacsript used outside Unity. The only real resources you have are from unity, for unity.

It might be too late, but I'm going to start learning to C#.

Good luck.

11. chubbspet

chubbspet

A lot of people postpone the transition from Javascript to C# WAYYYYY to long, it is not hard at all to make the shift, trust me, it is pretty simple.

12. MKSchmidt

MKSchmidt

Thanks to all of you. I am trying out some C# tutorials now. From what I can tell, both javascript and C# are pretty different from C-Script, so I might as well learn the more robust language.

13. TravisTGMM

TravisTGMM

Am I late to the Party? I throw my hat in the ring for C#!

14. Khazzack

Khazzack

i've been with Unity for about 6-8 months and have been umming and aaaaring about the same question. To be honest the one i found a little bit simpler was JS / Unityscript just because for me it seemed a little bit simpler and easy to grasp the basic concept.

Now i know a bit about both languages i prefer C#. But as i said, when i started i knew nothing about any of this, how stuff works or anything like that, but it was a unity Javascript tutorial that cracked it for me and i started just understanding how stuff worked and could start writing my own code.

As soon that happened i did a bit more work on both and then chose my favorite.

I mean everyone has different opinions, so if i were you, look into a bit of both and see what you prefer / can grasp easier, then choose for yourself.
    Ofcourse I do understand the pro's / con's on each, but then it's entirely down to the person.

By both i mean, JS / C#. There is bool or something like that but i never found too many resources or tutorials for it so i opted out.

15. KelsoMRK

KelsoMRK

Ok folks. Mystery solved. You can stop replying now...

16. MKSchmidt

MKSchmidt

I've found a good C# tutorial ... no turning back!

Thanks for all the help! Everyone's welcome :)

17. Khazzack

Khazzack

Thank you for your amazing input.