Search Unity

Which one of these Voxel Engine is best in your opinion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BuildABurgerBurg, Sep 19, 2014.

1. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Does anyone know if 7 days to die used one of these voxel engines?

Also which engine has more features or is better in your opinion? probably better to exclude TerrainEngine from this.. I think I know everyone will pick this one

Cubiquity for Unity 3d --- Asset Store Link --- Price €190

TerraVol: Voxel Terrain Engine --- Asset Store Link --- Price €80.72

Voxwell: A Quick Voxel Toolkit for Unity --- Asset Store Link --- Price €19.00

Voxel Terrain Editor --- Asset Store Link --- Price €95.00

Voxeland --- Asset Store Link --- Price €90.25

TerrainEngine --- Forum Link --- Price €2500.00

2. DavidWilliams

DavidWilliams

I believe 7 days to die used their own custom engine (though I am not certain).

Well I am naturally biased :) But voxel engines are quite diverse in exactly what they offer, so I will say that Cubiquity for Unity3D is the only one you can easily download for free (non-commercial and evaluation) to test if it meets your needs.

More details here for those interested.

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unless you need infinite terrain, which I believe TerrainEngine is the only one that currently supports it, I would recommend Cubiquity solely because it gets updated the most often. Being able to fully evaluate it with the free version is also pretty nice.

4. nosyrbllewe

nosyrbllewe

it's not in the list, but I think Ruaumoko is good. It also has infinite terrain. Sadly, it seems the developer abandoned it. I would recommend Cubiquity to try out first though. I haven't used any of the engine though.

5. Fenris2

Fenris2

You are missing this one http://voxelfarm.com/vfweb/index.html, but my guess is not indie friendly (yet) pricing wise and needs some work integrating. Results on the other hand are indeed pretty smexy looking.

6. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

From what I understood, this is a several $100k plugin. (not sure if they changed something in the pricing yet) So if TerrainEngine falls outside the budget, voxelfarm definetly will too.

7. ibyte

ibyte

8. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'm not certain $295 plus $19/mo and 5% royalties after $100,000 is necessarily indie friendly. Additionally it appears that the Unity plugin is only available as a DLL (aka Windows only). Are there any titles using Voxelfarm? I occasionally see mention of it, but I never see mention of any products using it.

This thread is a bit dated and since its conception we have had one additional voxel solution appear - UItimate Terrains.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ultimate-terrains-brings-3d-terrains-to-a-whole-new-level.304908/

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    Socrates likes this.
  9. ibyte

ibyte

@Ryiah, good points ... I saw the last post said it was still in the 4 to 5 digit range to license voxelfarm and i also noticed that the new licensing terms were very recent so I posted for a heads up to interested parties.

10. Socrates

Socrates

The terms are more indie friendly than what they were, but overall I believe strongly that any toolkit which requires a subscription is not friendly to anyone. Once you get to the long tail of your game, it's just not worth keeping the subscription up unless you are using the tool in multiple games, but then you cannot make updates to the game, and may not be able to sell it at all anymore, depending on the tool's license.

Kiwasi and Ryiah like this.
  11. Woodlauncher

Woodlauncher

EverQuest Next uses it, as will Crowfall, a recently kickstarted MMO which is being made in Unity.

12. Ryiah

Ryiah

Neither of those is a released product though. Voxelfarm has been around at least two years. I understand that it takes time to develop a game, but this feels a bit underwhelming. It does somewhat explain the price changes though.

13. Amandin-E

Amandin-E

@MoHoe
    I see that my product isn't in your list, so I'd like to introduce Ultimate Terrains (aka uTerrains).
    You might be interested in this one :)

Veizour likes this.
  14. eedok

eedok

Starforge and Reign of Kings use it if I remember correctly

15. Socrates

Socrates

Starforge used Unity, but one of their selling points originally was how they were rolling their own terrain engine. I remember seeing interviews of the developers talking about their work on that engine. Unless they threw out all their work, which is possible, but I think unlikely because of how poorly Starforge turned out compared to what other people seem to be doing with Voxelfarm.

16. clerok

clerok

IMHO, uTerrains is by far the best voxel engine you can find on the Asset Store and it's surely better integrated with Unity than Voxelfarm. They (uterrains) actually managed to do something easy to use but still extremely customizable.

17. darkhog

darkhog

I wonder how performance of uTerrains is when all trees and architecture are made out of voxels instead of being meshes (and that includes branches/leaves/needles, not just trunks).

Anyone willing to make such benchmark?

18. clerok

clerok

I don't think making voxel trees is possible in uTerrains, or at least I don't know how to do. Architecture is however completely doable (dual contouring preserves sharp features so you can make some walls) and I haven't seen any performance loss doing that..

19. eedok

eedok

They're for sure using Voxelfarm, here's the announcement: http://procworld.blogspot.ca/2013/06/starforge-avec-voxel-farm.html