Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Which one is the best?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by APenguin, Jul 27, 2014.

?

Which is better?

1. First

60.0%
  2. second

40.0%
  1. APenguin

APenguin

These are the two logos which we are thinking of using. We are going to be going into merchandise, games, comics and general entertainment. We can't decide which one to use. Two of the group prefer the second one because of it's wackiness and another member of the group prefers the first one because of the professional vibe it gives off and the simplicity of it.

Which one would give you an easier time remembering the brand. Which one gives off the correct vibe for what we want to do? In general which one is better and why? Thanks

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  2. casperjeff

casperjeff

The second one makes me spend too much time trying to figure out what those items are behind the letter W...
    The first one doesn't tell me what the 2 backwords 'C's have to do with Wicked Devs.
    :(
    Personally I prefer the 2nd one WITHOUT the stuff behind it. I like the stylized W. Maybe simply color it in a wacky way?

APenguin likes this.
  3. APenguin

APenguin

How would you mean in a wacky way? @casperjeff
    Do you mean with multiple colors?

4. casperjeff

casperjeff

sure...but even the plain W would suffice (IMHO)

APenguin likes this.
  5. Whippets

Whippets

The top one is too sterile - it's the sort of meaningless drivel that a committee would come up with. Lowest common denominator stuff.

The bottom one at least looks happening and full of energy.

APenguin likes this.
  6. Grafos

Grafos

I prefer the second, the first one looks uninteresting.

APenguin likes this.
  7. APenguin

APenguin

Socrates and calmcarrots like this.
  8. APenguin

APenguin

Thankyou guys for your input. We are gonna go for the second one :)

9. casperjeff

casperjeff

APenguin likes this.
  10. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

I like the third one. :rolleyes:

APenguin likes this.
  11. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

The first is boring - 90's style. The second is more interesting, though it needs a few iterations - the W in the middle is more boring than the colorful bits on the side. Keep iterating.

Gigi

APenguin likes this.
  12. Robota

Robota

The new second one is really cool!

APenguin likes this.
  13. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

The fist is better because it is clearer and easier to USE... the second one has too much noise and the text is too squished together to see what it really says easily.. make things easier to use.

APenguin likes this.
  14. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

That said the circular shapes in the first logo make no sense... in what way do they symbolize `wicked devs`? ... seems like you just picked a vector object shape and slapped it above your text... your logo should symbolize your company and I don't `get` what the shape represents at all.

angrypenguin and APenguin like this.
  15. NomadKing

NomadKing

I prefer the font and layout from the first one, but agree with @imaginaryhuman about the abstract vector shape. A cauldron, broom stick or hat would be more wicked looking :)

APenguin likes this.
  16. Demigiant

Demigiant

The image in the first logo is not strong enough (concept and art wise) to occupy so much space, while the second one has nothing to do with the word "wicked" so I would consider it out of contest. The third one has the best lettering but, uh, just a W for a logo is kind of weak. I would suggest to take a break and then try again :)

APenguin likes this.
  17. APenguin

APenguin

Wow guys. Wasn't expecting so many comments. All your comments are very valuable. We have now rounded it down to this. Is this better than any of the ones before? We want to stick with the interesting feel to our logo. We want people to be intrigued and it seems it's doing the trick. No copycats :p

But seriously. What do you guys think of the visibility of who we are. Does it clearly show WickedDevs? Does it keep the interesting feel to it? :)

18. melkior

melkior

Sorry to be a little critical here; but the alphabet letters, blocks, and heart in the back ground sort of give it a 'preschool' look and it doesn't feel 'wicked'. Just my two cents

lmbarns and angrypenguin like this.
  19. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I agree with this entirely. The image you're projecting is completely at odds with the name you've picked.

"Wicked" means either "evil" or "90's slang for 'cool'". I have no idea which of those meanings you're trying to convey, and your current logo just makes no sense in either context. It looks friendly and nice rather than evil, and I've never personally considered pre-school to be cool. ;)

I suggest dropping the Photoshop or whatever you're using, and figuring out a basic outline that gets your general meaning across. I think you're getting hung up on the fancy rendering of the thing before you've picked the right thing. Settle on a solid concept before you try to dress it up. If it can't get your meaning across when sketched on paper with a pencil then no amount of fancy rendering is going to fix up its fundamental flaws.

(If you want to be able to post online easily then just restrict yourself to one or two colours and the pen tool or whatever. Pretend that you're doing it on paper and restrict yourself accordingly. Don't waste your time going any further. Also, do at least half a dozen different concepts, preferably more, before settling on one, and remember that you can combine bits of the different concepts, and... Heck, there's books on this. Look up graphic design or concept art processes.)

20. APenguin

APenguin

Thankyou guys for all your feedback. It was all valuable :) We have decided and we will go with the second logo, but with the word Wickeddevs in a simple colored font.

21. OutOfMyMindGames

OutOfMyMindGames

Second is really cool and it looks like its "wicked". First is just ok.

22. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Yah still no idea what all those background things SYMBOLIZE ... a logo needs to be very symbolic. It's just noise. There's not really anything about the W that relates to `wicked` by any stretch of the imagination, for any meaning, other than maybe slightly the street-cred kind of sland.

23. Whippets

Whippets

Have you never used a console controller? They are the icons for the buttons on various controllers.

APenguin likes this.
  24. Demigiant

Demigiant

Using a letter that is the same as a button doesn't render the iconography recognizable, unless the style is identical (which in this case it's not, as imaginaryhuman's post "proves").

P.S. this doesn't want to be a critique to you APenguin. If you're happy with your choice go for it :)

APenguin likes this.
  25. derf

derf

Could you make the 'W' look like a trench coat with a stick figure hold it out like a flasher flashing the reader? That would at least be a sort of wicked dev flashing the reader.

The stick guy's head would be at the top of the middle W peak and his out stretched arms would be hold up the end peaks of the 'W'. You could than have the letters DEVS just beneath the 'W'.