Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Which genre should the Unite 2016 Training Day game be?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by JamesB, Nov 25, 2015.

?

Which genre should the Unite 2016 Training Day game be?

Poll closed Dec 5, 2015.
  1. Adventure - Example: Don't Starve.

133 vote(s)
    37.8%
  2. Scrolling Beat'em Up - Example: Streets of Rage

57 vote(s)
    16.2%
  3. 2D Puzzle Platformer - Examples: Limbo, Fez

35 vote(s)
    9.9%
  4. Bullet Hell - Examples: Ikaruga, Resogun

10 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. Stealth'em Up - Examples: Metal Gear Solid, Volume

61 vote(s)
    17.3%
  6. 2.5D Platformer - Example: Oddworld

41 vote(s)
    11.6%
  7. Grid Based Bomb Laying Game - Example: Something like, I don't know... Bomberperson?

15 vote(s)
    4.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamesB

JamesB

Unity Technologies

Hello there Unity Community!

We in the R&D Content Team have been thinking, why do we think of games we could make to teach on the Unite Training Days? Instead we could ask you what we should make!

Here’s the plan: Each year we make a small game and then teach attendees of the Unite Training Days how to make it. Then, after Unite is all done, we release videos of us teaching it so everyone can learn. This process has brought you such hits such as Survival Shooter and TANKS! But for 2016, what sort of game would you like to learn about?

A few things to think about:
    • The game has to be teachable in a day.
      This means that Training Day projects are not suited to mechanically complex games such as RPGs.
      Everyone needs to have the hardware to run / build the game.
    • This means that - as much as we would love to - mobile specific games are not possible and games with AAA level realistic graphics are less viable given that attendees will be laptop bound.
      Making the game needs to be relatively easy.
    • These days are aimed at beginners/intermediates so all techniques used must be at a level that someone who has done just a few beginner tutorials can understand.
    DISCLAIMER

This poll is not a contract! If you all unanimously think that it would be great for us to teach an MMOJRPG it doesn’t mean we’ll do it! That said, we’re running this poll because we genuinely want your opinion. Note also that we’re just looking for a genre, we don’t want to steal your game ideas!

2. Sun-Dog

Sun-Dog

I don't see Tower Defence on this list. If you want to add that, I'd cast my vote for it.

3. JamesB

JamesB

Unity Technologies

Tower Defense is a bit of a tricky one. It can end up being a bit more scripting heavy than we'd prefer. Obviously the poll isn't an exhaustive list of genres, it's more a list of genres which we think would have a good spread of features that we could teach without putting too much focus on any one of them. It's obviously debatable what has too much of one feature and what doesn't. We're just trying to make some best guesses.

Thanks very much for your interest though!

4. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

As James says - we would like to spread the amount of coding required for this day around with a coverage of unity features, this said - I'm happy to hear any new ideas you have, as mentioned in the disclaimer, we may not pick one of these, but we wanted to start a dialogue around what you'd like to learn if you're planning to attend a Unite next year as a beginner.

5. instruct9r

instruct9r

Don't Starve i think is the best option.. there are interesting techniques, that we all can learn from it...
    Will be great if you can show some of the following.

• Make a companion to follow the player and attack enemies.
    • Simple Inventory system
    • Show, or at least explain, the principle of making the action, only around the player, in a Huge map. Cuz i doubt there are flying birds and rabbits (In Don't Starve) spawned in the whole map. I guess they are only around the player, so i suppose there is some kind of radius, to where the action is happening.
    • Simple Map Generation similar to Don't Starve (On a pretty small scale though)
    • Rotation of the camera (That woud be great) I suppose, that the game have actually 3D terrain with 2D elements on it.

1: Although Limbo is great game, i doubt you will be able to show (In a day) how to program the Physics reactions of the character in Limbo... Other than that, Limbo is just a platformer with bunch of triggers and there are plenty of tutorials of how to do Platformer game. Same goes for Oddworld, it's just a 3D...

2: Grid Based, there are allready bunch of tutorials for grid based games, including in the Unity Tutorials section...

3: Street of Rage - [o_O] isn't that a fighting platformer...

4: Volume - There is allready Stealth Tutorial in the Unity's Learning section.. There's no point of doing that. Not to mention that Volume looks pretty identical to the game Developed in the Learning Section...

Aanyway i'm a fan of the adventure games, so that's just my opinion :)

Will-D-Ramsey likes this.
  6. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Okay you're taking this quite Literally.. we are asking which 'Genre' you folks would like to learn - not literally 'we'll try and make the example games listed here'.

Regarding stealth - it's quite old now but maybe we will have time to Unity-5-it-up some time.

7. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

Aren't platformer, stealth and bullet hell already covered?

Bomb laying I think is pretty simple.

Adventure game can have pretty interesting inventory & crafting system.

Beat'em up combo system can be very cool too (if they aren't hard-coded:) , if the 2D rigging tool ready at that point then you can so it here too.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  8. Xspeed

Xspeed

2D Puzzle Platformer

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  9. Matt-Roper

Matt-Roper

<Of The Graphics> Unity Technologies

Don't starve :D

10. Ian094

Ian094

I wish there was a UNET third person shooter game choice on the poll but a
    Stealth'em Up is just as good.

Thanks Unity! :D

kurotatsu and ChrisSch like this.
  11. Will-D-Ramsey

Will-D-Ramsey

Id have to agree with ^instruct9r, those are alot of mechanics and systems that beginners want to tackle but there isn't enough tutorials that they can go "that's kinda what im looking for" and then expand upon it with their own work. Good list bro.;)

12. DalerHakimov

DalerHakimov

2d puzzle platformer... please please please ;) and use the physics for it.. Also, make it as start to finish project, with game levels, menus, maybe shops?..

13. sandeepsmartest

sandeepsmartest

It would be really great if you help developers solve(best way/best practices) certain issues like jittery rigidbody movements ,data communication to server (servers like 000webhost free server) etc. If the list has Clash Of Clans ,Boom Beach kind of games that would be really awesome. Also it would be helpful if you point developers in right direction to create Real time strategy (Boom Beach) kind of games which players will play for really long time.
    As always, best ways and best practices for light mapping ,baking ,optimization ,visual enhancements in low to high end devices etc will definitely help us alot.
    Thanks a Ton

14. Xspeed

Xspeed

Did you think it is easy to teach?

Attached Files:

15. Kasko

Kasko

I'm all in for the scrolling beat 'em up, that's the kind of genre we don't see often in learning materials (and we could learn some unexpected stuff). Of course, I've also fond memories of the Streets Of Rage/Final Fight days :cool:

16. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I'm for a real stealth example of course as my game is stealth oriented, which means more than just sneaking around, but more about player and enemy interaction ie - choke and drag, knockout and carry to hide body(a great opportunity to teach mecanim to ragdoll parent to player and then unparent to drop), and stealth kill, levels of enemy awareness via sight and range, ect...

If you really want to get peoples attention, and I mean REALLY want a serious amount of people to participate, view, or learn from watching the videos of this training, no matter the genre you settle on, include a mecanim based AI, that is above simple or basic, with above average intelligence(patrol, spawnable, dynamic wander, and all the bells and whistles, melee and ranged), and I guaranty attendance and attention will be attained.

If it is mechanics you hope to pass along, then the ever-so-elusive third person grapple system, would be first on my list, with grapple lerp to position and grab ledge(and climb up using mecanim), teaching line renderer for rope and such, as well as grapple swing and release, using examples teaching physics in Third person, not 2d.

edit:

The bolds are just to hopefully get peoples attention as they scroll over the thread, pay no mind,lol

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    asenetpro likes this.
  17. witcher101

witcher101

I hope you guys teach 3D platformer mechanism like prince of persia/tombraider

asenetpro likes this.
  18. JamesB

JamesB

Unity Technologies

@witcher101 I would really like to do some tutorials on 3D platformer mechanics because the animation system in Unity is one of my favourite features. However, to get really good feeling controls, it's actually a lot more complicated than it might first appear. The closest we've done so far is in Unity Labs with Dr. Charles. You can check that out if you're looking for a starting point. You can find it here:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/33835

19. witcher101

witcher101

Dr charles doesnt have features like ledge climbing,hanging from ledge,wall running, swinging from the pole etc which you find in platformers like POP and tombraider

I thought 3d platformer was easy to teach in 1 day

20. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Ok, I had more faith in your guys abilities.lol

Don't sweat it, man, just trying to give the best advice I could.

New advice:

Just remember anything presented well is teachable, and don't underestimate your participants drive to follow if the content is important enough.

21. Enemy-Ace

Enemy-Ace

It would be nice to see a 2.5D Action Adventure, like a Castlevania Dracula X chronicles. Normally a Game of the that Adventure Genre is 2d, some of us like 3d work : D

22. Mobile_Game_Graphics

Mobile_Game_Graphics

I think 2d puzzle platformer.

23. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Let's keep this thread on topic, we'd like suggestions of genre please.

24. aws9

aws9

Thanks for the great tutorials
    I wish you made a tutorial on a hight quality AAA game third person or Real time strategy in the near future

25. blockimperium

blockimperium

So long as it is something that is multiplayer/lobby based I'll be happy. uNet is the one component that is the least covered of all the bits of Unity.

Dimilicious likes this.
  26. asenetpro

asenetpro

I like to see a real FPS & TPS w/ Real motion and animate weapon switching like those in Unreal. And what i mean by REAL motion i mean left & right strafe and when you press back the character don't turn and face the camera like most all those that on the asset store (which to me is really a top down shooter w/TPS camera) walk, run and sprint by key-press or button AKA motion mode, swimming, climbing, ledge edge movement..Double tap for rolling and super jump Character should move with Gun pointing ready to shoot not down till you fire or stop to fire .

The Weapon system should be flexible from fist to melee to projectile. User controllable setup so slot be available for all weapon and with customization so you can use any effect from the asset store, but only active if weapon is in inventory w/ reload and extra ammo limit. and like kurotatsu said ( the ever-so-elusive third person grapple system ) and the portable teleport system. Which you did a video for already. weapon should switch with the number key and scroll wheel. If your crew got the skill (Cheap shot) also make input rebind able at runtime. Cause unity input system need a re-haul. i think the input system should have it own window not share the inspector window and have a quick assess button on the menu bar Which is basically empty for no reason at all. also should have a profile so you can save certain setup for different joystick or keyboard setting.

I think i project like this would teach a lot plus give unity a real FPS/TPS that should be included as standard Asset
    making it possible to create AAA FPS/TPS Games . Somthing simple like this with go a long way with all 3D user. This can make a great tutorial that can be used by everyone and bring unity one step closer to being a out the box working engine like udk was. And i know this is not unreal but Unity got enough talent to make this real......

27. witcher101

witcher101

How about a small FPS multiplayer game for webgl

Dimilicious likes this.
  28. Immanuel-Scholz

Immanuel-Scholz

Chrm.. You DO realize that by putting example games in the poll, you are basically asking people what their favourite game is. ;) (Or let me put it like this: I suspect there is a much higher correlation between favourite game and the result of this poll - than the correlation of "what would I like to be teached to learn unity mechanics" and the result of this poll)

Anyway, I assume you already got your teching topics (20% physics, 20% scripting, 30% animation, xx% art import etc..) from last year and now just are looking for a new game theme just to keep things different. In this case, I suggest you just choose the genre that is furthest away from all the other project examples you already got - even if the topics you want to teach are similar than the ones used in the other projects. This way, we get demonstrations of similar techniques in totally different games.

Or.. it may be the other way around and you actually have prepared topics that are different from the ones already in the current example projects. (Like a "UnityUI heavy" tutorial? Or about GI and PBS? Or a tutorial using the new Playable Animation API?) In this case, I would like to see similar genres to the existing projects, as this is also most interesting to see how one can achieve the same goals with different parts of Unity's toolset..

Just my two cents.. ;)

29. JamesB

JamesB

Unity Technologies

@Immanuel Scholz Thanks for the feedback. When I came up with the idea for this poll I envisioned a situation where people instantly understood what we were looking for and understood the limitations of the situation. What a fool I was! We do naturally want to make one that's as different from previous training days as possible. Balancing that with what's possible in a day and beginner level difficulty is not an easy task!

As always we will do our best by as many people as we can. Lets hope we're up to the task!

30. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

A poll on game mechanics would be better, as it is more a important to have a base foundation from which to build our games regardless of genre, and these fundamentals help beginners and advanced users alike.

31. Sri_ni

Sri_ni

Can't find tutorial about isometric world or game (also controlling the isometric world ).... I am looking forward to these tutorials since low poly and isometric looks cool and also different from the previous unity tutorials.. If there are already tuts on these please let me know.......... :)

32. Dimilicious

Dimilicious

UNET based simple RPG game. +1

33. Sun-Dog

Sun-Dog

I would love this too!

However, I don't think there is anything at all simple about an RPG game, unless you mean Rocket Propelled Grenade - then that could be fun! Skills and items alone would be weeks worth of teaching.

I'd still love to see a tower defence game using navmesh, but it looks like adventure is winning hands down. I just hope it's not just an expanded version of 2D Roguelike, but 2.5D and more of a real game.

34. Dimilicious

Dimilicious

Well in my case i'm interested in multiplayer 2d card games...this is just the same as RPG and can be really simple to cover it in one Training Day. The best way to learn more about new networking.

35. Sun-Dog

Sun-Dog

Say - looking at this list, there are two genre's that are not listed <shameless plug>after my desired Tower Defence suggestion!</shameless plug>.

Now, tbh, they are not that "interesting" and may be harder to style. I really like the style of Survival Shooter and Tanks!

They are:
    • FPS
    • 3P Hack and Slash
    The latter (3P H&S) could easily fall out of scope, but it might be cool to have a start of a game with simple Mecanim Characters moving to a location on NavMesh using Point & Click, and attacking when close or clicked on. Maybe an arena? Synching animation with attacks. Initiating a dying animation. This is then set up for people to experiment with Networking when it's done.

The former, actually, screams to be done. There are no FPS tutorials available right now on the site. Maybe everyone's bored with FPS, but I still think it's worth considering.

36. Xspeed

Xspeed

You are correct.
    I am also looking for an FPS Tutorial, That Covers all AI, Weapons, Missions, Health And More.
    But An FPS Game can take some time. Hard to finish in a day.

37. Sun-Dog

Sun-Dog

38. Lethn

Lethn

Could we please see more tutorials for simulation games like Cities: Skylines and RTS' like Command and Conquer? I realise they're complicated genre's but there are thousands of tutorials on what you've listed already but I have yet to see one official tutorial by Unity on something relatively simple like building placement.

Everyone else has already done quite a few tutorials on some of the highest voted genres already and they tell you all you need to know, it will balance things out and give people some useful information instead of stuff that's just being regurgitated again and again with only minor differences in what people say about them.

If you want to do something simple you could just teach people how to do two raycasts to place a building and have some sort of transparent blueprint following the mouse cursor on the ground.

mzamara likes this.
  39. DatCaptainHorse

DatCaptainHorse

I'd like to see something with game save stuff.

40. Lethn

Lethn

I have literally been researching this the past couple of weeks, this video should tell you everything you need, it even shows you halfway through how to do proper save files.

41. Xspeed

Xspeed

@Sun Dog
    thank you for sharing the link.
    I already have the PDF but not the *.zip file.
    now i found it.

Sorry for going out of the forums topic.
    as MR. @Lethn said, all the generes listed above have a lot of tutorials.

42. mzamara

mzamara

I'd love some training on client-server stuff, specifically working with persistent user data stored on a server. So I guess the category I'd care about is "Simulation Games" - The "ville" style games.. where you can do an action, which has a timer associated with it, and the server validates when that stuff can be interacted again.

43. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

I was the lead engineer at Interplay on Atomic Bomberman back in 1997 (apologies for my dreadful network code back then), so I'd like to see the last option, Bomberperson, complete with network play, done in Unity.

Aurore likes this.
  44. Troas

Troas

I was hoping turn-based RPG or action RPG would be up there. Possibly some kind of space sim (probably too script heavy due to physics).

Correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't seen much of that from the tutorials.

45. IkoArtiaga

IkoArtiaga

I was hoping a stealth game. that you can attack behind the back, in FPS or 3rd Person. or a strategy game in Unity 5.x.x

kurotatsu likes this.
  46. Lethn

Lethn

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/projects/stealth-tutorial-4x-only

Please just do a strategy game tutorial, I have actually compiled a huge number of tutorials for anything other than RTS and City Builder style games.

47. tedthebug

tedthebug

Don't starve. Followed by any 2d or 2.5d puzzle platformer

Attached Files:

48. JamesB

JamesB

Unity Technologies

Hey guys,

Thanks very much to all who voted. The winner was - Adventure! We will look into making an mini-adventure style game for the training days next year.

Disclaimer: This is not a guarantee that we will make an adventure game!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.