Search Unity

Which Art Pack Would YOU Want Most?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by QuantumTheory, Dec 7, 2015.

?

Which Triple-A Quality Pack Interests You the Most?

Poll closed Jan 6, 2016.
  1. Assassin's Creed-inspired

20 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. Halo-inspired

5 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Fallout-inspired

10 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. SciFi Jerusalem

7 vote(s)
    12.7%
  5. Abandoned 80s Shopping Mall

9 vote(s)
    16.4%
  6. Better Quality Generic Packs (Urban, Scifi, Fantasy)

26 vote(s)
    47.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to schedule out my 2016 environment art projects and I'd love your feedback. I've noticed many packs in the store are becoming more and more cartoony, low poly, etc etc. Not many are AAA-quality, high production value packs. I'm going to be switching gears to focus on fully utilizing the Unity 5.x+ featureset for my future art packages; screen-space reflections, full PBR, good post, and aiming for beautiful lighting and art direction.

Given the high quality focus, which asset pack would you be most interested in and why? I won't go into detail about the packs in the poll though; vote on what peaks your interest.

Please vote and leave feedback! Thanks for your help!

2. nasos_333

nasos_333

I am interested in Fairy Tale fantasy, anything to that direction in a semi realistic look would be great.

PhoenixRising1 likes this.
  3. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

In your mind, is fairy tale fantasy different than Skyrim and The Witcher? Would it be more like Fable or World of Warcraft?

4. nasos_333

nasos_333

I need structures / assets to go along with my Fairy Tale forests in my RPG, like the one in pic below. If they can be split in parts it would also be great, so i can rearrange them and batch them with my InfiniGRASS and InfiniTREE systems.

https://i.imgur.com/TNmelsR.jpg

Fable is also another guide, and older advanture art like in Legend of Mana and Kings Quest 5-6

Here is also an asset i plan to make heavy use of, this is modular and has the style i am looking for. More on that, like castles and other structures would be amazing to have.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/35766

5. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Not quite sure what my budget is going to be like in 2016 for art assets, but for the most part the types of things I am going for are probably more Assassin's Creed aligned.. High quality fantasy type environments more aligned with the genres comparable to authors like Tolkien, Salvatore, Greenwood, etc.. I know book authors aren't showing you a visual but think that kinda helps pinpoint the genre. lol

6. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

Some unique fantasy environment with lots of colors would be great.

7. mgear

mgear

one_one likes this.
  8. Steel-Grin

Steel-Grin

Just to throw in another theme. More stylized art would be great too. Good quality ones like the Stylized Nature and Stylized Jungle pack on the asset store are pretty rare. Just nice, colourful assets with a unique feel. Semi cartoony, semi realistic and not low-poly. It's pretty close to the fairytale theme, as well. Though I'd love more general than just medieval, personally.

9. one_one

one_one

10. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Agreed. Forest packs are popular. Both Crysis' and Battlefront's forests look so good due to their lighting engines. I'm doubtful Unity can do a similar look that is suitable for production, but it's certainly worth a try.

11. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

For those that replied "Assassin's Creed-inspired," which Assassin's title would you be most interested?

12. nasos_333

nasos_333

I think that largly depends on the scale of things, for example if the Battlefront forest is a vast open area that can be freely epxlored, then could be off for production indeed, if it is a limited linear area i think it could be done in Unity using proper batching and some planning.

Unity can be extremely fast from what i have seen during my work with InfiniGRASS and InfiniTREE, it is just that the terrain handling and tree handling is basic and this extends to SpeedTrees that are very heavy en mass as well (or have to billboard them at nose distance :) ). Without the terrain and unity trees factors the speeds are actually pretty incredible.

one_one likes this.
  13. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Good point. I'm thinking the general indie use case. I would say 9 out of 10 forest scenes, and even terrain plugins, showcase some sort of large scale forest.

14. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

To be honest, I've never played so I wouldn't be able to narrow it down. I selected it because it was the most fantasy looking of the ones presented.

15. Teila

Teila

I watched my daughter play Assassin's Creed I and I love the buildings and the city. I am in need of a medieval period middle eastern town. That is one beautiful game, btw. If you can do something similar, it would be amazing.

16. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Masyaf, Damascus, Jerusalem. That style and time period is right up my alley. I'll add that to the list. Thanks!

Teila and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  17. Teila

Teila

That is wonderful! It is also different from what we usually see. Most middle eastern packs are either very generic or they are modern. :) Always good to offer something that no one else seems to do, especially as your stuff is really nice.

18. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I'm currently playing AC:Unity. While the artwork is stellar, the Parisian nobility style may be too specific of a pack to be popular. There are some really nice lower-class architecture pieces though that could be generic enough.

Teila likes this.
  19. Teila

Teila

Parisian nobility? I meant middle eastern. lol I am confused.

Either way, I am sure they will be great.

20. hopeful

hopeful

There's more than one Assassin's Creed game, and they are in different settings. I believe QT understands you're asking for Middle East art. He mentioned French art because one of the games (AC: Unity) takes place in revolution-era France.

The AC game after that one takes place in Victorian London. An earlier one takes place during the American Revolution. Another one takes place in Rome.

(I don't know anything about the game myself, but Google apparently knows all.)

21. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Yep. The series plays out chronologically. The first AC takes place in the middle east, though it's a fairly old game and likely looks dated. I'll have to pick it up and see.

22. Teila

Teila

Ahh, I see. :) My daughter just played the first one and is trying to play the second one although she is having issues with the uPlay launcher. She was able to get the first one on steam.

Still looks pretty good for an old game! :) She prefers the older games, probably because they are more story driven.

23. sicga123

sicga123

Quite like to see a Karakorum environment pack at the time of Mongol Empire, or a mansion full of secret passages and rooms and priest holes, or maybe even an underground city such as Derinkuyu.

24. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

For those that voted for Scifi or Urban, what sort of scifi are you looking for?

Idealistic Scifi like Mass Effect and Star Trek? "Dirty" Scifi like Star Wars and Serenity? Industrial Scifi like Aliens or Unreal Tournament?

25. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

For Urban, I'd like to see a companion to your Urban Construction Set that adds more archictural styles as well as smaller modular pieces (individual wall and roof sections rather than just the 3-sided wings to attach to the base buildings). It doesn't need to be quite as granular as 3DForge's Village Exteriors kit (not that I would complain about that, mind you). A set of modular urban interior pieces would also be high on my list, especially if they were designed to fit right inside the exterior pieces.

For sci-fi, the dirty/used option (SW and Firely look) for sure. There are quite a few clean sci-fi environment packs out there..

26. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Thanks everyone for your responses and insight. The poll closes 1/6 so please get your answers in!

27. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Also thinking about a Rome pack that's inspired by Ryse: Son of Rome

28. hopeful

hopeful

Some classic architecture sounds good to me. Columns, pediments, arches, ... :)

29. PhoenixRising1

PhoenixRising1

Yes please :).

Teila likes this.