Search Unity

Where to learn?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by dreichelt, Jul 15, 2014.

1. dreichelt

dreichelt

Hello all noob here! Just signed up for the forums and this seemed like the place to post. So I am a GameSalad user and want to upgrade. I had a few questions though if someone would be so kind as to answer them for me.

1. What is the learning curve? I spent 15 hours a day learning gamesalad and had a decent grasp of it in two weeks. Other than GS I have never used anything else. To this day I have not written a line of code.
    2. Where is the best place for video or written tutorials?

2. dreichelt

dreichelt

Ok so I found the tutorial section. It looks like scripting is where I need to start? Is scripting the same as coding? Or do I learn about coding elsewhere? I'm starting to watch the videos now so I suppose I will find out.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Its the same thing, and your in the right place, watch all the tuts and then work through the projects and you'll be off to a great start :D

4. dreichelt

dreichelt

Hey thanks a lot! I have made 40 apps with GameSalad but this is a whole other ball game lol. It's very apparent Unity is in a completely different class. At first I was reluctant to learn how to code, but the hard way is the easy way as the saying goes. I'll definitely be watching every single tutorial and then work through the projects thanks! :)

5. dreichelt

dreichelt

I've been watching the Scripting videos but so far it is apparent to me that I should also learn c plus and javascript basics? I'm not really understanding everything he's discussing. Any resources anyone can recommend for learning those?

6. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Take a look at my signature. You'll find some helpful links. A tutorial series about the fundamentals of C# programming in Unity, as well as my own interactive tutorial series for when you have the fundamentals down.

Best,

Jon

7. dreichelt

dreichelt

@SubZeroGaming thanks a lot for that. I will check those all out. Very much appreciated.

8. dreichelt

dreichelt

@SubZeroGaming I only watched a bit of your first tutorial and you mention coding in Javascript if you are new to coding. Can you direct me to where a good crash course on Javascript is? Or a full course even. I'll learn it all if it will help:)

9. jhocking

jhocking

I would recommend going to codeacademy and do like the first entire learning module. Bear in mind that the "JavaScript" in Unity isn't exactly the same as JavaScript elsewhere, so it's really not worth your while to go further than the first module or two on that site, but it's great for teaching the basics of programming.

(If you were a more experienced programmer I'd recommend the book I'm writing as a way to learn Unity, but it's probably a little over your head)

10. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

NO!
    You misunderstood. Don't use JavaScript for Unity. Use C#. If you're interested in learning a simple Object oriented programming language, then take jhocking's advice and head over to code academy and do some javascript. Note that javascript, OOP is not the same as javaScript for Unity known as UnityScript. C# is a universal framework. Stick to it.