Search Unity

Where to learn how to script for unity3d

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by IDontCare85060, Jan 26, 2015.

1. IDontCare85060

IDontCare85060

Can someone please point me in the direction of tutorials, articles, etc of how to script for unity3d because I want to be able to create my own because I had unity3d since maybe October 2014 but never bothered to learn how to script. Thanks in advance. !!

2. IDontCare85060

IDontCare85060

Also I know unity has its own tutorials but I'm kinda slow #NOOBALERT so can some tell me how they got the hang of it

3. Juice-Tin

Juice-Tin

4. Ian094

Ian094

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

That button up near the top of your screen that say learn?

Most other online tutorials assume you have seen these, and spend more time on tricks, tips and techniques, rather then absolute beginners stuff.

elmar1028 and ZO5KmUG6R like this.
  6. IDontCare85060

IDontCare85060

Also I have another question (thanks for replying) what is the real difference between c++ and c#. The only thing I think I know is that c++ is used for computer programs. (I know that I could probably just google it but why not ask it on here)Also I just thought about this question if i knon how to use javascript for websites etc can I use that knowledge for unity based scripts.

7. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

8. Genkidevelopment

Genkidevelopment

There are some good tutorial on you tube... As well as the unity 'Learn' section being very good. The problem that I personally am having is: I am learning to do one thing at a time, however the underlying basis of why I need to declare a float here, a Vector3 there... That's proving the hardest part for me.. Although getting familiar with the terminology is very helpful... I still am to find a decent video that explains the fundamentals of how code is implemented, especially object orientated code, like used in unity...

Good luck with your learning

Peace

9. Deon-Cadme

Deon-Cadme

Don't worry about C++ if you are about to start programming for the first time... C# and Unity will probably give you a better learning experience anyways... you can later take some of the knowledge from C# and apply it to C++, they are similar but C++ can do some more stuff but it is also easier to blow up things in your face ;) and... Unity doesn't support C++...

Unity got a learning section, they got some good, short videos.
    Start with getting familiar with the engine itself... you will hopefully feel wiser afterwards.
    Then concentrate on the code tutorials...
    Youtube also got lots of tutorials for beginners, search around.

For your first projects, start with the easiest stuff that you can come up with... you will scratch your head enough as it is... this will also decrease the chance that you burn yourself out, it is easy to do and then loose interest. The more you learn, the better you will understand how much more there is to learn... and it never ends :D

Some people around here in the forums make really cool stuff but don't let that tempt you... many of them got years of experience with programming, different kinds of design, art and so on...

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

It does but not as a scripting language. You can use it through DLLs (requires Unity Pro) or by making direct changes to the Unity source (requires a source license).

A beginner though may as well consider it unsupported as using it will be a bit too much for them.

Don't worry about the differences. Unless you are already a programmer you won't really understand those differences at this time. Simply put those differences allow C# to hold your hand a little more. So it is much more beginner friendly to learn.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    Deon-Cadme and Kiwasi like this.
  11. Genkidevelopment

Genkidevelopment

lol - First game! I'm a complete newbie to programming and unity - Planning on (presently learning) building a state machine and using loads of steering behaviours :D Loths of Mathf functions...

To the deep end :D