Search Unity

Where is the Xcode project for a Mac build?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by TokyoDan, Sep 30, 2014.

1. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

When I build for iOS Unity always creates an Xcode project. Why doesn't Unity create an Xcode project when I build for OSX?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Because it was required to build an Xcode project in order to publish to iOS, and there's no such requirement for OS X builds.

--Eric

3. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

@Eric5h5 then how can it make a Mac app without Xcode and it's Cocoa libraries?

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

You've never needed Xcode to make a binary, on either OS X or iOS. It was simply Apple's rule in the earlier days of the iPhone that iOS builds had to be produced with Xcode. They relaxed that later; for example you can use Flash Builder/Flex to create builds directly. (Still need OS X for code signing/uploading though.)

--Eric

5. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

The reason I ask this is because I want to run a beta program for my Mac game so I thought I'd use HockeyApp. But the HockeyApp website show how to do by adding/changing things in an Xcode project for a Mac app. So now I'm wondering how to use HockeyApp id Unity never creates an Xcode project for a Mac build.

6. orb

orb

Plugins. Needs Pro.

7. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

I got Unity Pro.

8. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Making plugins is beyond me and I have no intention of trying to learn Obj-C. I studied pretty hard for a few months but could never get my head around it. Various versions of Assembly language OK, SmallTalk, Java, ActionScript, JavaScript, Python, etc. OK. Obj-C is probably the only language that I just could not learn (or didn't really want to because I thought it was just too damn confusing).

9. Eric5h5

Eric5h5