Search Unity

Where is the Unity labs demo project?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TwiiK, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwiiK

TwiiK

I was eager to fire up Unity 5 and look at the new demo project described here:

But I'm not seeing it anywhere. All I have are 2 projects: "Sample-Assets" and "Standard Assets Example Project", but they both link to the same project folder and are just the new standard assets by the look of things.

2. Leoo

Leoo

Am having this same problem... am so sad.

3. Myrddins_Owl

Myrddins_Owl

I have been trying to find this as well. It doesn't appear to actually be downloading Unity Labs (which at least is what they called it in the video).

4. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

It's not downloadable at the moment.

5. Myrddins_Owl

Myrddins_Owl

Thanks for the answer on that. I was confused since the video on the main unity3d.com site refers to it. Is there an ETA for when it will be downloadable? When it is, will it be available on the asset store like the Viking village?

6. spryx

spryx

I just want to pilfer the sci-fi assets :)

TwiiK likes this.
  7. bendprogrammer

bendprogrammer

yeah, it will really help if we can know when that project will be available.

8. Leoo

Leoo

I just cant believe you guys did an UNITY 5 we are the best-engine-like trailers, but when getting Unity downloaded u don't get ANY of the examples and demos that should come by side with the new features, am really disappointed.

Ghosthowl likes this.
  9. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Aurore's response may indicate it has the same issues as the blacksmith demo. Lots of custom stuff that is either 3rd party or still being tweaked as a 'Unity' feature.

10. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

The Viking Village demo is available already.

Nope, UnityLabs is completely vanilla Unity.

There's a few things we want to clean up about the project - both 'comment the code' kind of things, but also 'doing things in the best possible way' kind of things. We want it to be an example of best-practices for the new features. So, it's going to take a little bit of time to do that, but hopefully we should have it released in just a few weeks.

rakkarage, Ryiah, Ony and 1 other person like this.
  11. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

@superpig oh, impressive. I'm glad that all of that stuff could be achieved now :) I'm okay with seeing things that will be doable in 5.x, but I'm more the type to wanna do those things right after I see them haha.

12. Josh-Naylor

Josh-Naylor

Administrator

We have both the Viking Village and the Shader Calibration Assets on the asset store.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/25422
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/29140

Edit: Dammit, superpig beat me to it.

rakkarage likes this.
  13. Myrddins_Owl

Myrddins_Owl

I've checked em out, those do both look very nice. On the Viking Village demo, is there a suggested specs for a computer to run that scene without it being very slow? I've noticed it worked very slow on a mac mini but very smooth on my gaming PC so I assume it is somewhere in between.

14. Dreamcube017

Dreamcube017

Hey sweet. That shader Cal one looks really useful.

Is there a simple GI and lighting scene to mess around with. I know the Viking scene has GI, but a simple one that has a few different light types and examples would be really useful to test things out in. Is there a scene like that or would it be possible to make?

Kind of like the scene in the video that talks about the GI lighting in 5. (Or is that the UnityLabs scene)

15. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hey guys. So we've been crunching to get Unity Labs into shape for GDC, but it involved some approaches we aren't totally happy with as Richard points out as examples of good practice.

Full disclosure - everything in the demo is Standard Shader, except for skin and hair shading which is new stuff we are basically working on independently of engineering - though we're working with them to perfect it. We know you guys need solutions for skin and hair sooner than we can make a 'cross platform useful for everyone' deal, so my feeling is we should ship that soon as we are comfortable with it for desktop and console so you can start playing with it and hey maybe extending it yourself? So my plan is get Unity labs onto the Asset store before the end of March.

What's next?

Our next plan for Unity labs is to work on a demo for our upcoming Multiplayer features we're hoping to add with Unity 5.1 - we think it'll serve nicely as a deathmatch level. We were originally planning to make it a CTF level, but our in-house expert Aurore informs us this doesn't quite make sense with the layout we have thanks to her hours of CoD and Halo experience.

After that some of you will recall we're working on something called the Director project, which basically means some really nice timeline and storytelling tools (the early alphas are what the team working on The Blacksmith used for that), and we're hoping to make some cool promos that show you how to use those tools with Dr Charles and a new character we're yet to announce that lives in the Unity labs world.

Thanks for your patience guys and apologies for not having Labs ready for release day.

Will

16. Shizola

Shizola

Thanks for the update Will, are the multiplayer features you're talking about UNET?

17. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Yes, we just don't call them UNET anymore, just 'Multiplayer'. Trying to use less codenames in the editor these days.. least I hope we are!

the_motionblur likes this.
  18. Whippets

Whippets

Unity Multiplayer is designed for deathmatch style scenarios; is there going to be a suitable framework for client/server mmo style networking as well?

that-steve-guy likes this.
  19. TwiiK

TwiiK

Great news, Will.

How do you design multiplayer for deathmatch? Do you mean peer-to-peer?

And how have you tried it? Or know how it was designed.

20. Whippets

Whippets

I'm taking what Will said that it's suitable for a deathmatch scenario - which I take to mean peer-to-peer, and asking further questions about it.

21. Woodlauncher

Woodlauncher

that-steve-guy likes this.
  22. TwiiK

TwiiK

You're not though. You took what Will said out of context and put it down as a fact. At least that's how I interpreted your comment.

Will said they were making a demo level to showcase the new multiplayer features, and because of Aurure's experience with Halo and Call of Duty they changed the game mode for the demo level from capture the flag to deathmatch. What matters is the new multiplayer features, whether the demo is deathmatch or capture the flag is meaningless so I interpreted it as a joke.

But anyway. Yes, I'm sure the new multiplayer will be suitable for every type of game.

23. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Let's not get bogged down by semantics folks.
    I know nothing about Multiplayer either - I'm keen to see our solution from scratch and try it out, that's what I love about our job! One cool thing to mention is that it's already being used by in production multiplayer games.. not 100% sure I can name one of them so I may just go check it's not NDA'd yet!

GibTreaty and that-steve-guy like this.
  24. Zeblote

Zeblote

Can you please not do this? It will only lead to totally useless search results everywhere when looking for tutorials / docs / anything. A codename that is not used anywhere else is perfect for such technologies.

We already get this problem with "unity ui", stop it!

Whippets, Ostwind and 00christian00 like this.
  25. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Or give it a nice name like Mecanim!

26. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

27. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Well, it's today or tomorrow. Waiting!

28. LaneFox

LaneFox

29. Aurore

Aurore

We're looking to release Unity Labs this week.

PerfectlyInsane, kenshin, ZJP and 2 others like this.
  30. Whippets

Whippets

It's on the store folks :)

Rodolfo-Rubens likes this.
  31. superpig

superpig

32. Whippets

Whippets

Should only take another hour to download >.<

33. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

34. Frogger007

Frogger007

Is it allowed to use parts from the 'Unity Labs' and the 'Corridor Lighting Example' in own game projects ?

35. OneWayRoad

OneWayRoad

I'm having trouble downloading the demo. Can someone send me the skin and hair shader of this demo?

36. ZJP

ZJP

Yes, like all Unity Technologies projects before.

37. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

look like it has been deleted, this is like pulling out the candy out a kid mouth:rolleyes:

38. Whippets

Whippets

Looks that way, yes.

I'm trying to build it, as running it in the editor gives me 1 frame per 10 seconds. So far the build has taken an hour >.<

Edit: And finally bombed out with the error:
    Error building player: Couldn't build player because of unsupported data on target platform.

(Building for PC on a PC)

39. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

There's a lot of error in the project, so i guess they pulled the demo link until the project is fixed

40. superpig

superpig

Yeah, sorry, something went wrong with the upload (it was apparently missing the project settings, which broke a ton of things). We're fixing and will get it back up ASAP.

Whippets and SunnySunshine like this.
  41. Aurore

Aurore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.