Search Unity

Where is the non-Maya version of fps_assets.zoip?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by tholland, Aug 14, 2009.

1. tholland

tholland

I am trying to work through the FPS Tutorial. The FPS_Assets.zip download folder appears to be solely for use by those with Maya. Sadly, I'm not rich enough for that! Where can I find the version that will work on my non-Maya system?

2. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

You can use those inside of Unity without hassle, the error about Maya is non-destructive and can be ignored.

3. tholland

tholland

Thanks Higgy.

I am still having trouble with the FPS Tutorial. I have moved mainLevelMesh and First Person Controller into the scene view. Now, when I try to play the scene, I get an error message:
    Assets/WeaponScripts/FPSPlayer.js(124,31): BCE0019: 'frame' is not a member of 'UnityEngine.Texture2D'. I don't know how to correct this.

When I try to run the complete FPS Tutorial I get a raft of error messages:
    NullReferenceException: The prefab you want to instantiate is null.
    UnityEngine.Object.Instantiate (UnityEngine.Object original, Vector3 position, Quaternion rotation) (at C:\builds\unity-branches-2.5.x\unity-2.5.x\Runtime\Export\Generated\BaseClass.cs:51)
    RocketLauncher.Fire () (at Assets\WeaponScripts\RocketLauncher.js:11)
    UnityEngine.Component:BroadcastMessage(String, Object, SendMessageOptions)
    UnityEngine.Component:BroadcastMessage(String, Object, SendMessageOptions)
    UnityEngine.Component:BroadcastMessage(String) (at C:\builds\unity-branches-2.5.x\unity-2.5.x\Runtime\Export\Generated\BaseClass.cs:532)
    $:MoveNext() (at Assets\WeaponScripts\AI.js:65)

Any help/advice would be warmly welcome.

4. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

You are using an older version of the FPS tutorial, one that is only compatible with Unity 1.x (textures used to have a frame property for simple texture frame flipping animations). You can download an updated version of the tutorial that is fully compatible with Unity 2.x (and thus won't produce the above error) from here:

FPS Tutorial

:)

5. tholland

tholland

Thanks again Higgy.

I've deleted all the original files and downloaded the various zip[ files from the link you gave me. I have tried to run the completed FPS tutorial, which has produced the following raft o0f messages:

There are inconsistent line endings in the 'Assets/WeaponScripts/Explosion-Advanced.js' script. Some are Mac OS X (UNIX) and some are Windows.
    This might lead to incorrect line numbers in stacktraces and compiler errors. Unitron and other text editors can fix this using Convert Line Endings menu commands.

There are inconsistent line endings in the 'Assets/WeaponScripts/Rocket.js' script. Some are Mac OS X (UNIX) and some are Windows.
    This might lead to incorrect line numbers in stacktraces and compiler errors. Unitron and other text editors can fix this using Convert Line Endings menu commands.

There are inconsistent line endings in the 'Assets/WeaponScripts/Explosion-Simple.js' script. Some are Mac OS X (UNIX) and some are Windows.

Assets/Pro Standard Assets/Image Based/ImageEffects.cs(153,83): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.Quaternion.EulerAngles(float, float, float)' is obsolete: `Use Quaternion.Euler instead. This function was deprecated because it uses radians instad of degrees'

Assets/Pro Standard Assets/Water/Sources/ReflectionRenderTexture.cs(18,36): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.RenderTexture.enabled' is obsolete: `Use SystemInfo.supportsRenderTextures instead.'

Assets/Pro Standard Assets/Water/Sources/ReflectionRenderTexture.cs(20,36): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.Graphics.supportsVertexProgram' is obsolete: `Use SystemInfo.supportsVertexPrograms instead.'

Assets/Pro Standard Assets/Water/Sources/ReflectionRenderTexture.cs(85,58): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.Light.pixelLightCount' is obsolete: `Use QualitySettings.pixelLightCount instead.'

Assets/Pro Standard Assets/Water/Sources/ReflectionRenderTexture.cs(86,31): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.Light.pixelLightCount' is obsolete: `Use QualitySettings.pixelLightCount instead.'

Assets/Pro Standard Assets/Water/Sources/ReflectionRenderTexture.cs(97,31): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.Light.pixelLightCount' is obsolete: `Use QualitySettings.pixelLightCount instead.'

Assets/Textures/Standard Assets/Camera Scripts/MouseLook.cs(47,61): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.Quaternion.AxisAngle(UnityEngine.Vector3, float)' is obsolete: `Use Quaternion.AngleAxis instead. This function was deprecated because it uses radians instad of degrees'

Assets/Textures/Standard Assets/Camera Scripts/MouseLook.cs(48,61): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.Quaternion.AxisAngle(UnityEngine.Vector3, float)' is obsolete: `Use Quaternion.AngleAxis instead. This function was deprecated because it uses radians instad of degrees'

Assets/Textures/Standard Assets/Camera Scripts/MouseLook.cs(57,61): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.Quaternion.AxisAngle(UnityEngine.Vector3, float)' is obsolete: `Use Quaternion.AngleAxis instead. This function was deprecated because it uses radians instad of degrees'

Assets/Textures/Standard Assets/Camera Scripts/MouseLook.cs(65,61): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.Quaternion.AxisAngle(UnityEngine.Vector3, float)' is obsolete: `Use Quaternion.AngleAxis instead. This function was deprecated because it uses radians instad of degrees'

Assets/Textures/Standard Assets/Camera Scripts/MouseOrbit.js(33,35): BCW0012: WARNING: 'UnityEngine.Quaternion.EulerAngles(float, float, float)' is obsolete. Use Quaternion.Euler instead. This function was deprecated because it uses radians instad of degrees

Assets/Textures/Standard Assets/Camera Scripts/SmoothFollow.js(47,38): BCW0012: WARNING: 'UnityEngine.Quaternion.EulerAngles(float, float, float)' is obsolete. Use Quaternion.Euler instead. This function was deprecated because it uses radians instad of degrees

!ps

!ce.pixelShader

Maya could not be found.

Make sure that maya is installed and the maya file has maya as its 'Open with' application!

Note: it is recommended to change '// fragmentoption ARB_fog_exp2' to '#pragma fragmentoption ARB_fog_exp2'

Note: it is recommended to change '// fragmentoption ARB_precision_hint_fastest' to '#pragma fragmentoption ARB_precision_hint_fastest'

Warning: '// profiles' is ignored (use #pragma target instead): // profiles arbfp1

Warning: it is recommended to change '// fragment frag' to '#pragma fragment frag'

Warning: it's recommended to change '// vertex vert_img' to '#pragma vertex vert_img'

What is going wrong? I'm running Vista home edition and Unity 2 version 2.5.1f5 (24931).

6. amirebrahimi

amirebrahimi

@tholland: Most of these are benign errors. If you press Play you'll see that most of the demo still runs. I'm working on getting another updated project folder with the following changes:

1. Removing the Maya scene file to avoid any further confusion, since there is an FBX file as well.
    2. Fixing all line-ending warnings.
    3. Fixing all deprecated API call warnings.
    4. Replacing the water that came with the project with an updated version for the 2.5 Standard Assets.

7. amirebrahimi

amirebrahimi

I've posted an updated project to the tutorials section. If it doesn't show a file size of 103.8MB for the completed tutorial, then you need to refresh the browser page.

8. tholland

tholland

@aebrahimi; it still doesn't work for me! The new completed tutorial freezes when I try to run it. The "escape for cursor" message comes up and when I press escape the robot can be seen wandering around but the arrow and mouse keys don't work. Working through the tutorial from the beginning, I get as far as creating a weapon when I get this error message: Assets/WeaponScripts/FPSPlayer.js(5,17): BCE0018: The name 'DrawRockets' does not denote a valid type. It seems that the scripts are out of date and don't work with version 2.5. Where can I get an up to date copy?

9. amirebrahimi

amirebrahimi

10. tholland

tholland

@aebrahimi; great! it works for me! Many thanks - now, where do I get an up-to-date version of fps_assets.zip?

11. tholland

tholland

@aebrahimi; great! it works for me! Many thanks - now, where do I get an up-to-date version of fps_assets.zip?

12. amirebrahimi

amirebrahimi

What is wrong with the FPS assets downloaded from the Resources section?

13. tholland

tholland

I have been trying to use the fps_assets.zip link from the first part of the FPS tutorial. This seems to have been written for an earlier version of Unity...Many of the scripts will not compile.

I cannot find any relevant assets on the resources page!

14. amirebrahimi

amirebrahimi

15. tholland

tholland

Yes! When I play the first part of the first tutorial I get this error message:

Assets/WeaponScripts/FPSPlayer.js(5,17): BCE0018: The name 'DrawRockets' does not denote a valid type.

I do not understand why this doesn't work here yet the same code executes OK in fps_tutorial_completed.

16. amirebrahimi

amirebrahimi

Is this after you have completed the first part of the tutorial? If so, have you checked over your code to make sure you have followed the steps correctly?

17. tholland

tholland

No. In section 3 of the first tutorial (fps_tutorial_1) there is a link to fps_assets.zip where the assrets for the tutorials can be downloaded. I have done that and imported them into my project. I have completed sections 4 (Setting up the game environment) and 5 (Adding the main character). The tutorial now says Press Play. It is at this stage that the error message occurs. It is obviously something wrong with the FPSPlayer.js script, which I can only assume is out of date (it was created in 2006)

18. amirebrahimi

amirebrahimi

I just surfed over to our FPS tutorial page to download the PDFs and somehow I am getting served the old PDFs. Argggh... Somehow our content network is still serving up old content. Until then, here are all the files directly:

http://files.unity3d.com/amir/FPS_Tutorial_1.pdf
    http://files.unity3d.com/amir/FPS_Tutorial_2.pdf
    http://files.unity3d.com/amir/FPS_Tutorial_3.pdf
    http://files.unity3d.com/amir/FPS_Tutorial.zip
    http://files.unity3d.com/amir/FPS_Tutorial_Completed.zip

I apologize for all the confusion.

19. tholland

tholland

I know I must be being a pain, but I still cannot get the tutorial to work. I've down loaded the files from the site you gave me and unzipped them but I canot find the project folder you refer to in the tutorial. I have uninstalled and re-installed Unity (Version 2.5.1f5 - is this the lates version?), created a new project, which includes
    standard assets, but they are not the same as those included in the assets that come with the fps_tutorial package (eg there is no Objects file folder). I am feeling very disenchanted with the program but do not want to give up, having spent $99 on it! Hope you can help.

20. amirebrahimi

amirebrahimi

@tholland: In FPS_Tutorial_1.pdf, the instructions don't say to create a new project. You are supposed to unzip FPS_Tutorial.zip, and open up the project folder. Once you open the project folder you are supposed to Import the Standard Assets Unity package from where you installed Unity.

21. tholland

tholland

@aebrahimi; unzipping FPS_Tutorial.zip produces a folder FPS_Tutorial, which contains two folders Assets and Library. In none of these is there a project folder, which is why I created a new project. The Standard Assets Unity package from the folder where I installed Unity only contains 5 assets (4 particles and 1 water), so I don't think that can be what is meant. Where can I find the project folder?

22. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

But that which you described *is* a project folder (a project folder has Assets and Library subfolders). So, FPS_Tutorial is in fact the project folder you should be opening.

23. tholland

tholland

@aebrahimi; many thanks for all your patient help. I've now learnt what "Load other" means and all seems to be well!