Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Where do i find Xna framework?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Rosslebiffen, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Rosslebiffen

Rosslebiffen

Hello, and thanks for taking the time! Im very new to all of this and in every tutorial i read/watch about tilemapping in C# they type "using Microsoft.Xna...." but none of them explains where i can find the xna files or how to add them to monodevelop. Any help is very appreciated.

Oh, im also wondering about xna and android. I would eventually like to make android games and so does xna work with android?

2. Dantus

Dantus

Unity does not support the Xna framework.

3. TRG96

TRG96

XNA is a completely different thing. XNA is used for making games too but its a game engine made by Microsoft and you can make games for PC and Windows Phone only. Unity is completely separate and has nothing to do with XNA. If you want to learn how to program games then I would recommend you learn programing first and then try and program games. I also dived in the deep end when I first started programing games and much of the things didnt make any sense. Start here
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?cli...ourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=3d+buzz+xna
    Amazing tutorials on how to program in C# and XNA and then go into programing games.

4. Rosslebiffen

Rosslebiffen

Thanks for the replies, ok it seems i have totally misunderstood. But still everywhere i look for help on c# tilemapping i only end up with Xna. Any suggestions to how i might go about learning how to create a tilemap in c# with unity and monodevelop?

5. Dantus

Dantus

If you learn the basics of Unity, you will immediately see several possibilities to create tile maps. You can create your own mesh, use the 2d functionality, or even rely on the new UI. The most obvious choice is likely the 2d one.

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

There are some tilemap solutions on the asset store if you don't want to make your own.

--Eric

Dantus likes this.