Search Unity

Where can I finance a development machine?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Christian-Tucker, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christian-Tucker

Christian-Tucker

The only applications that I really use are Unity3D, Screen recording software, Eclipse, and Visual Studio (Which I can substitute with other IDEs).

I only play LoL and WoW (Rarely).

So, Windows or Macintosh are both viable solutions.

The reason I need to finance a machine is because I don't have much money, and my current machine is on its last legs, constantly blue-screening due to hardware failure. It's old, what can I say?

Companies that have benefits for students would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not looking for a $3,000 machine or anything; Just something that can run everything decently and smooth, something I won't be stressing by running a few applications. Something that can develop in Unity3D, render videos, and won't have many problems with modeling programs.

Thanks in advance.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

The HP Envy 700-210 desktop computer has reasonable capabilities for the price. It has an acceptable amount of memory with the potential for quite a bit more, a 7200 RPM drive, and a slot for upgrading the GPU. Keep in mind it only has a 300W power supply though so if you do decide to install another GPU you'll be limited to more budget-oriented cards.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  3. Christian-Tucker

Christian-Tucker

I have a video card and a power supply I can swap out, as-well as some additional 1600MHz ddr3 sticks. So this will work perfectly..

If only I could find that finance option. $500 is pricey for a student that has a mediocre part time job.

4. Grimwolf

Grimwolf

If you're looking to "finance" a cheap computer... couldn't you just use a credit card?

5. Christian-Tucker

Christian-Tucker

Could I? Yeah.
    Will I? No.

I've decided against credit cards, because I can see myself going into debt very easily if I had one, I tend to spend money when I know I can, even if I know I can't pay it back. I ran into this with my "over-draft protection" with my bank, and kept spending and spending over my limits. I'd take $600 out of the ATM when I only had like $5 left in my account.

I'm looking for financing, because then I can get it over with, and be done with it; Without having to worry about other things stacking ontop of the compound interest.

makoto_snkw likes this.
  6. LaneFox

LaneFox

A great machine from scratch is about $800.

If you already have hardware you can replace the most outdated parts and spend considerably less. Honestly, if you can't afford that you may want to consider just saving up or trying Craigslist. BillMeLater is an option as well, Newegg offers it.

Deon-Cadme and Ryiah like this.
  7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Get a credit card, buy the computer, and then tear up the card.

This is the route I go. I built my first completely brand new computer back in 2005 and over the years I have replaced one or two components at a time to upgrade.

8. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

How about going for EMI's (Easy Monthly Instalments)? You could pay a few bucks every month with a little interest of course. But saving a few $$ can't be that difficult, now is it?

9. orb

orb

Let's start by looking at what you already have. What hardware is failing? How cheaply can you upgrade? I just upgraded my gaming PC by simply replacing the motherboard and CPU, because we still use the same type of RAM etc. Turned out to be an excellent choice, because the latest generation is so cool and quiet.

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

Something to note is that it isn't always due to hardware failure. My graphics card is a GTX 460 and NVIDIA's drivers beyond version 314.22 are known to cause blue screens with that specific model. I've had to run 314.22 since it was released on March 2013.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  11. Deon-Cadme

Deon-Cadme

You can dig through the computer for an error log or wait until a new bluescreen occur and write down the code. Then look for that error code online until you figure out the cause of the problem ;) Borrow a replacement from a friend if it is hardware related, try swapping it and see if the bluescreen happens again. Software is a bit trickier, could be drivers or something else... virus?

There is always a catch to "free" money... save it up if you really need a new computer, sounds like you anyways need to practice your money handling skills. You can also start upgrading your computer one part at the time as you can afford them.

Ryiah likes this.
  12. Diana72

Diana72

You can always go with EMI's. You will definitely need a computer in future or you have to upgrade previous one for better performance.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

@OP do you own a vehicle or a bike? Download the DoorDash or Uber/Lyft Driver (no bikes, age limit on vehicles) app... its a great sidegig. I love it!

14. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I think in the 5 years since the last post, they probably managed to find a development machine by then.

Ony and SparrowGS like this.
  15. Deleted User

Deleted User

Oh sh_t lmao I did not know this was a necro post. Long live the zombies! :p

16. kdgalla

kdgalla

Five-year-old posts about what hardware to buy are especially pointless.

17. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Silly necros.

Antypodish and Ryiah like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.