Search Unity

Wheel Joint 2D

Discussion in '2D' started by langem, Jul 13, 2014.

1. langem

langem

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to use the new Wheel Joint 2D (with 4.5.2) and I just can't figure out how to use it (nothing in the forum/answers/documentation as well). So here's my problem. The wheels (gameobject + wheel joint + circle collider + rigidbody 2d) are properly attached to the car body ( rigidbody 2D + polygon collider). Hitting play results in the wheels attached nicely and the suspension is working well.... BUT if I apply motor torque to the wheels not only the wheels start to rotate, but the direction of the suspension also. The result is a really wobbly movement...

I kind of fixed it by adding this to the wheels:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     void Update () {
    2.     JointSuspension2D js = wj.suspension;
    3.     js.angle = 90-this.transform.localEulerAngles.z;
    4.     wj.suspension = js;
    5.     }
    ... but that can't be the ultimate solution, or? What am I doing wrong?

car.JPG

Thanks and best regards,
    Matthias

2. danzhor

danzhor

I just came across other thread, where it was explained that the wheeljoint2d should be attached to the base car rigidbody. Not to the wheels. I was searching for it too, didn't test yet, but I guess that is how it should be done.

so attach two wheeljoint2d to your box and connect each one with corresponding wheel.

edit: now I see that this thread is a bit older so maybe a little bit late to the party... but I hope it will help at least somebody who will find this thread in future.