Search Unity

What's the best books/tips in Unity and game development for my game concept?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by TechnoNecro, Dec 1, 2013.

1. TechnoNecro

TechnoNecro

Hey I'm new, I 17 years old and have finally decided to start my entrepreneur career in game development. For christmas I want to get all the equipment I need which is basically some books on unity and programming along with an intuos tablet to help me draw my character models.

My gaming PC specs are a GTX 570, AMD phenom II X6, 8GB Ram, I turned to unity since it seems UDK sucks you dry (25% but if since you're making a game for PC, Steam is a must and they need a cut too) and inorder to get a indie cryengine license you have to make a game crytek considers good enough and at any point they can just take it away from you if they don't like the progress.

The type of game I am aiming for is PC exclusive, single player (and maybe some multiplayer), cyberpunk theme (so I want the best lighting effects I can get out of unity), somewhat open world, support for both keyboards and gamepads, 3D action platformer comparable to classics like old Ratchet n Clank Jak n Daxter, 3D mario games etc, cel shaded/toon shader graphics comparable to games like Wind Waker HD, A Hat in Time, Peria Chronicles, Ni No Kuni and etc.

Just some pictures of what I'm trying to aim at graphics wise

The only book I'm confident in purchasing is Game Coding Complete, Fourth Edition
    I'm not sure which language I should use for this game should it be unityscript, C++, or C#
    I'm also concerned about API, if I have to go DirectX 11 only for windows to get get the nice lighting and other to get the best out of unity. OpenGL is certainly in mind since I do plan on making Mac OSX, Linux and maybe SteamOS.

I'm one person so I'd be doing the game by myself, I know how to compose music on mixcraft, the closest I've had to game development experience is messing around in CryEngine 2 sandbox editor, I have a lot of free time since I'm still in high school and have no social life, so I'm willing to learn more programming languages I'm a bit rusty a C++ basics since I only bothered trying to learn it during one summer at middle school.

2. tapptastic

tapptastic

Hey dude,

Saw your post the other day and if you wanted any help making anything I would love to assist. I don't have much programming experience the only things I have done is re-make some old games.

If you're interested let me know

3. N1warhead

N1warhead

I'm not trying to come off rude or anything, but the best tip I can give you is to just study up and learn....
    I'm good with the 3d Stuff, but when it came to C# coding and Photon Networking, I'm still learning, but the only way any one of us can ever help is if you need specific things answered, even then, we're not gonna just figure it out for you, unless it's something petty then sure why not, even though petty stuff is answered all the time and takes a search.

However again as that may be, you're asking a big concept, which is why probably nobody has answered.
    I've been in your shoes.
    I've never been a programer, nor wanted to be.

I was always just good at 3d modeling, not textureing, just modeling. Nothing else, but quickly did I realize, that the one thing I am good at, is just a small tiny piece of the puzzle. Taking on a game, I don't care how big it is, it's a task in its self just getting things put in place to make it, the ideas, the tools, how to accomplish what you want and so on.

I'm not sure what you are good at, but what I can say is, start where you are strongest at, whether that be at 3d Art, Textureing, Audio, UnityScript, C#, or anything.... But of course you need to figure out what kind of game you are going to make, that's #1..... Then just start learning and putting the puzzle together... I haven't even posted many questions on the Unity Answers, maybe 2 or 3 questions sense March, reason being is most of all the Information you'll ever need can be Googled or found on Youtube... <<<< Them two machines there are your best tutor, books will only teach you so much, just get out there and expierence the power of Google and Youtube, they make wonders :).

Hope that helped, I wasn't trying to come off mean, but you asked an almost impossible question to answer as it can be vauge and not to mention you posted different kinds of games lol.