Search Unity

What would you say this asset is worth ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NvGBoink, Oct 7, 2015.

1. NvGBoink

NvGBoink

So I recently submitted a prefab brush tool to the Unity asset store at the price of $10.
    I am preparing to submit the first update this week and was wondering if I had over/under priced the tool :/

The tool allows users to brush any prefab onto any surface of a collider that matches a list of settings such as tag, layer, slope angle and edits the painted objects with a range of customizable features such as random scaling and rotation as well as offsets for placement and options to match the rotation of the surface.

The tool also comes with a remove brush for clearing areas and paths.

I think $10 might be a little too high for the current state of the tool and was wondering what you guys thought ?
    Does anybody have any tips on how to price a tool ?

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/44846

Thanks in advance :)

2. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I guess if your going to keep working on it. Maybe add a youtube vid.Lower the price $5 until you got some star ratings

Shushustorm likes this.
  3. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

It seems reasonable at $10 ... price though I don't think is the issue. Your main image does not adequately and clearly portray the benefit of using this tool or what it does... your additional screenshots seem to represent this better. Right now your main image makes me think you are selling a bunch of low-poly rocks, which is not appealing.

Aiursrage2k likes this.
  4. NvGBoink

NvGBoink

Thanks for the reply

I see what you mean, I will get to work on creating some more descriptive screenshots and main images.

One last question do you think I should use basic shapes to show of the functions of the asset or should I use a range of art assets ?

5. NvGBoink

NvGBoink

Youtube video is a good idea !

6. goat

goat

$10 is OK if it works. I've tried others and they weren't good. There is one free one that does similar that was recently updated that I haven't tested.

I added to my wish list but whether I buy I depends on it you produce a video that shows it works on surfaces that aren't strictly spheres or planes.

7. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I would go with a mix of low poly and high poly or at least nice looking stuff. Don't just do basic shapes. You want to show off that "wow" factor. If someone sees a video for example of you painting on AAA looking assets it makes them think "Hey, I can make awesome looking stuff with this". That's why tech demos are so effective to people just getting into engines. They don't necessarily realize the difficulty in creating all of the great assets that actually make a scene great.

That being said, the low poly trees you show in your demo would be good to show as well. It's a completely different art style. Showing off all of those differences in screenshots and demos will show off the versatility of your asset and immediately show people that it's useful for whatever graphical style they're shooting for.

As for price, if it works well I think $10 is perfectly fine. You may put it on Sale temporarily for $5, but I think your price point is fine.

The key is doing things that the other assets can't do and showing that off. I'll use my own asset as an example. I ported JSON .NET to Unity. There are several free alternatives, yet I still a good deal of sales. Some of the alternatives offer faster performance and Unity will soon have an integrated option, but JSON .NET is far more flexible, allows for custom converters, etc. that the other libraries don't offer which make it a big draw for some.

So, find a way to differentiate your tool and highlight those differences. People will buy the tool that is the best fit for what they're trying to accomplish, and they're more likely to buy a tool even after trying a free version if the paid tool offers more features or enough of a better general workflow.

8. TonyLi

TonyLi

I also think $10 is a good price. Don't underprice yourself. Remember that you're not just selling a tool. You're also going to be fielding support questions from people, and this takes time.

GarBenjamin, Dustin-Horne and goat like this.
  9. tedthebug

tedthebug

You may want to check the video of the new unity2d brushes as the demo shows them as being scriptable to paint sprites & 3d prefabs onto scenes. The scripting lets you randomise selection of items from arrays, randomise their scales & rotations etc. It sounds like it may be similar to yours so it could influence your price point.

Towards the end
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/2d-alpha-release-4.359622/

10. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

From the description I struggled to figure out how this was different from the standard terrain brushes offered by Unity. I'm no artist, so take that into consideration.

11. NvGBoink

NvGBoink

This tool is not restricted to terrain :)

12. NvGBoink

NvGBoink

good point I think I will stick to $10 !

13. NvGBoink

NvGBoink

Thank you for your reply you've given me a lot to think about and I'm now looking into how I can offer more in the 1.2.0 version :)

14. NvGBoink

NvGBoink

I video is in the works, is there any example that you would like to see specifically ?

15. goat

goat

If you PM me I could convert a mountainous area from a Unity terrain to a mesh and you can demo putting trees and something a bit more difficult, like houses on the surface.

Since your tool doesn't flatten the surface when placing manmade objects the objects need to have a cubed base to serve as the foundation. Example: roads and houses. The modeler would need to created a cubed base to place under their model and your tool would place the model so that none of the actual model's geometry is below the surface of the mesh. Actually, instead of the game maker / modeller adding cubed/cylindered bases to all their models that need placed, your asset could calculate and create those on the fly using Unity geometric primitives.

16. NvGBoink

NvGBoink

thats an interesting idea, I'm not sure that fits into the overall goal the the tool right now but I will keep this in mind when expanding the tool.

goat likes this.
  17. NvGBoink

NvGBoink

I have updated the asset page using a lot of your feedback and the results have been great. Thank you all for your help.
    I decided to drop the price in the end and gradually increase it per update.

Changes-
    .Added video tutorial
    .Added more screens shots using different art styles
    .Droped the price to $5

http://u3d.as/jaQ

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  18. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

You're link in this last post is broken. The one at the beginning of the thread is fine. While the text displayed is correct, the actual link in it insead of the "!" has a "%21" which is making it broken currently.

19. NvGBoink

NvGBoink

Woops thanks didn't notice that :D