Search Unity

Official What assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by caitlyn, Mar 18, 2011.

?

Which assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

1. Art Packages - Mobile/Web

24.0%
  2. Art Packages - Desktop

35.1%
  3. Complete Projects - Mobile/Web

18.0%
  4. Complete Projects - Desktop

23.5%
  5. Scripts/Script Packages

44.6%
  6. Extensions

36.9%
  7. Shaders

28.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

Something sexy would be nice :)

2. yoonitee

yoonitee

What about a way to ask for commissions?

Or, how about if someone searches for something and can't find it, they can add it to a wish list. And then the developers can look at the wish list to see what they would like to develop next.

3. Jerome-P

Jerome-P

@yoonitee Wow, this really is a great idea!!!

4. MaikenRoskilde

MaikenRoskilde

PBR, PBR, PBR. And if there is not enough PBR available, I would opt for yoonitee's suggestion to vote for more PBR.

5. Kafar

Kafar

These are my actual EnviroRama Pack Vol.1 assets available on Asset Store:

- The Darkness: http://t.co/KrOqHB8li1
    - The Water Cave: http://t.co/e4oqlnDeIp

For The Darkness is in WIP another scene: https://t.co/65qjoLc3X4

With these assets you can build environments and game levels, do you think can be useful to add more packs and in case do you have any environment you prefer?

6. playa1337

playa1337

Idea 1 : Character customization tools. More robust tools like the one's designed for all points bulletin and dragon age. Also should have mouth presets or something similar to make in game talking cut scenes easier. [it should support design of all proportions for anime, comic book, futurama style designs to easily create human-like creatures]

The system should also include options to make monsters and other non-human creatures exactly like spore.

Idea 2 : Much much much more motion cap data that's more affordable

Idea 3 : Optimized shaders for everything. Dream it, build it (currently outline shaders + variations of mesh shaders are weak in offerings)

7. marauderkr

marauderkr

Hey DesertRaven, you could check out our One Day Sky system, maybe it fits for you?
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/28780

8. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Can we please stop Store spammers, by this I mean some sellers keep updating there poor assets each week with minor changes just to boost visibility. I'm tired of seeing the same asset updated each month number of times and only reading about some crappy one line change. Some restriction should apply on how many times it can be updated by the sellers..if emergency bug release is required then so be it. I think I found the one rare seller in this case.

Shaderland and MaikenRoskilde like this.
  9. MaikenRoskilde

MaikenRoskilde

I would like to see a trial system so that people can try out the assets by themselves, perhaps with a small money-back rebate.
    This way many more people could try out asset that they think would fit their project.
    Else, I think, people like me would think too much about whether they really need something.
    A trial-purchase with a rebate of 5% of the real purchase could eliminate this problem.
    But this is just a personal thought, perhaps some smarter mathematicians than me are willing to offer a greater solution that fits both the developers and the audience.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    maz_dev likes this.
  10. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

And many people would claim refunds and then keep the asset anyway. Abuse of the refund system is why you need to contact the seller now, instead of just going through the store.

--Eric

marauderkr likes this.
  11. yoonitee

yoonitee

Maybe encourage more people to have a web-preview either as a Unity web player of HTML5. (Or maybe even make this compulsory). It's weird that there's no 3D preview of 3D assets. Or have I missed something?

12. MaikenRoskilde

MaikenRoskilde

The current problem is that there are just no good assets on the asset store. Those developers that aim at PBR are on a good way, though. I think that if Unity provided a better infra-structure, there might be more opportunies for great developers to hop on to that train.
    PBR is great, but a better terrain core-engine would be next, and Unity does not dissolve any information about its upgrade.

@yoonitee
    Yeah, a common subscription theme:
    1) Is it PBR?
    2) Correctly scaled?
    3) Webplayer available?
    ... before model subscriptions are allowed on the Asset Store.

I won't surely not spend any money anymore on assets that are not ("not yet") PBR.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    infinitypbr and MrEsquire like this.
  13. yoonitee

yoonitee

One question. What does PBR mean? Thanks.

14. chingwa

chingwa

Physically Based Rendering. It's all the rage.
    It also refers to Professional Bull Riders Association... or Pabst Blue Ribbon... oh I'm so confused now. :)

15. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

16. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

In-game Online Forum Platform reader/integration. (InvisionFree, IPBoard, vBulletin, etc)
    (Getting forum data, threads, texts, etc.)

Might be awesome to be able to read/post on the game's forum without getting out of the game itself!

It would be even better if it utilizes the New UI, that way, it works multi-platform~

17. Recon03

Recon03

This wouldn't be that hard to do. I use VB now for over 6 years for a guild I used to run for gaming, I no longer run it as I been busy with making games, but I still have access to it, I may have to test this on a game i'm making and make something like this, this sounds like a great idea. I have an idea how I can implement it into a game. If it goes well, maybe I can sell it as an asset.. I will get into this soon .

Gekigengar likes this.
  18. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

I've got a bunch of PBR models -- characters and environments -- in the pipeline. First one should be out quite shortly.

19. OwlTeaGames

OwlTeaGames

Hi everyone!

I can't work a normal job any more. All I want to do is make low-poly objects in Blender and sell them on the Unity Store. Every day I call a hundred and fifty people and ask them to donate money to help kids see plays. Out of the 25 who actually answer the phone, only five of them will not shout at me. Out of the five, only one will donate a grandiose $20. My soul, my soul... is in peril.

We created Owl Tea Games one night, and decided to dedicate our time to filling in the gaps in the Unity Store. For example, we believe the world could use more kitchen assets!

Does anybody want to make a cooking game!?

Anyhow, this is what we're doing, and we're looking for feedback! Here's what The Ultimate Kitchen Package looks like right now- the most basic of colors for materials... no UVWs yet!.

If you like, we'd love to finish this package! Let us know if we're on the right path! The-Ultimate-Kitchen-Package.png

wunderpatch and Gekigengar like this.
  20. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

I would be interested with an even lower poly art. (Doing mobile games here)

Would be interested for an urban pack! (Traffic light, temporary metal fences, traffic signs, buildings, pots, water hydrant, etc)

Let me know any news about this! (If it goes on development~)
    Looking forward to it.

OwlTeaGames likes this.
  21. yoonitee

yoonitee

That's not a bad idea. "Filling in the gaps" is quite ambitious! Maybe get a child's encyclopaedia and see how many of the entries have models built for them.

wunderpatch and OwlTeaGames like this.
  22. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

I would love to have a nice UI Image effects system so that I can basically add image effects only on the UI layer/camera... because as for now, every image effects applies to the whole screen. I'm curious why no one has ever thought of this. Maybe it's just impossible. But for me AAA Interfaces, needs image effects that are independent from the main game/camera.
    That would be an instabuy for me ;)

23. OwlTeaGames

OwlTeaGames

I thought I saw some good urban packs, but if you have any images of what level of detail you're looking for! :) Thanks for replying!

24. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

25. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

Somebody should release a framework for animals. Animals exist in almost every game: Chicken wandering around, fleeing from the player, etc. There are so many examples for animals that need such a framework: rats, mice, cows, horses.

I have purchased great models with root-motion animations, but of course without any logic, so I need a locomotion system for them.

I don't want to program that logic framework / locomotion myself. I am hoping such a framework will be available on the asset store sometime.
    And I hope it will take care of my root-motion and will not do motion by code (it just does not look realistic).

If such an asset already exists, please tell me! I have not found one myself.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  26. mgear

mgear

Went to look for some plant/grass textures, but hesitating to buy some of them because:
    - Seller website link is broken or empty
    - Didnt find any forum post about the asset
    - Description is short or not much technical info how the texture files are (for example have they fixed the white around edges..)

So i'd like to see more requirements for people selling textures,
    because too many times i've seen textures taken from elsewhere..

I'm thinking that if someone is for example selling pack of nice isolated grass & plant textures,
    surely he would post about it on the forums (and link to it), and hopefully would also have info about his equipment & process..?
    (and if its professional plant texture artists, most likely he would know & use real plant names..?)

*Great example here from someone selling sound effects:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/re...n-evolving-library.242486/page-3#post-2087819

OwlTeaGames likes this.
  27. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Would you be looking for demo-type examples? Or full versions?

28. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

Best plants right now are from Speed tree. idk if they have a forum, but they're by far the best.

29. mgear

mgear

Yeah, i'd get those if they had northern europe grass / wild plants..

30. TonyLi

TonyLi

Check out Unluck Software's collection of birds, bats, chickens, and more. They include animated models and flocking/herding behavior. Just drop a prefab in your scene, and you have a flock of birds, a school of fish, etc.

31. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Please add ability to click on HYPERLINKS in Release Notes..
    Or at least copy and paste!!

aihodge and TonyLi like this.
  32. yoonitee

yoonitee

This is actually a really good idea! I have long thought that a rigged catalogue of animals would be a great thing to have. Preferably using mocap of actual animals.

I have a feeling that such things exist but they are such valuable commodities that the big companies wouldn't let them go.

I think at the least there should be:

human, cat (includes tiger, lion, leopard, etc.), elephant, rhino, dog, horse, pig, deer, cow, fish, chicken, monkey, snake and jellyfish.

A lot of the rigs could be reused. I mean would anyone really tell the difference if a tiger was rigged with a leopard skeleton?

Sanguine Jackal likes this.
  33. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Does anyoNe from Unity read this thread, if so then please provide some feedback!!!

34. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

What feedback would Unity have? As stated in the first post, this topic is for developers, and the type of assets you'd like to see. It's not about the asset store itself (despite a few off-topic posts); there are other topics for that.

--Eric

35. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

As a reminder, this topic is for "what would you like to see on the asset store". For promoting assets, please create your own topic.

--Eric

infinitypbr likes this.
  36. TheSkipper

TheSkipper

Sorry about that. New to the forums, and I just figured a good way to address what I've read would be describing how we operate.

37. tomaszek

tomaszek

Shameless plug, but this is 100% PBR (just because it's "Standard Shader with a ton of bells and whistles"):

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/uber-standard-shader-ultra.335493/

Tom

P.S. @Eric5h5 - this IS what I'd like to see on the Asset Store - quickly (at least before Unite Europe where I'll be showcasing this) ;).

MaikenRoskilde likes this.
  38. mikolajspy

mikolajspy

Would you guys want something like realistic tools? Like crowbars, showels, garden scissors and stuff like that? Based on real life photoscans.

Someone said something about PBR? Then check my asset packs (link in signature).

39. LUTOPiA

LUTOPiA

Quality standards. There's way too many neglected or abandoned projects like Ship Game Kit and TCG Maker that are turning the asset store into an asset dump site.

40. 600

Unity warned publishers about a cleanup in this September.
    So they are aware of it.

41. MaikenRoskilde

MaikenRoskilde

Yes.

V0odo0 likes this.
  42. MaikenRoskilde

MaikenRoskilde

The thing, being a common user, is that there are so many shaders on the Asset Store that have been abandonded, replaced by better Unity shaders that I am currently completely lost at deciding which shaders I should currently buy and which shaders Unity will release in 1 month in a better version and free.

43. tomaszek

tomaszek

You're probably too optimistic about what Unity can publish in 1 month (for free). But of course - your doubts are natural reaction to dozens of shading solutions that have been abandoned because they did't fit up to date Unity standards (like Standard Shader).

Tom

44. Assets-Reporter

Assets-Reporter

We just shared a chart from assetsReporter.com in another thread. Based on 1000 visits, sorted by popularity:

1. Urban City Pack
    2. Mantis LOD Editor - Standard Edition
    3. Jungle Mega Pack
    4. Bird Flock Bundle
    5. BIG Environment Pack
    6. MegaBook
    7. House Collection
    8. Urban Construction Pack
    9. Edy's Vehicle Physics
    10. Mysun Company
    11. Polygons Count
    12. HD Sci Fi Level Kit
    13. Pony: a Classic Car + Cartoon Version
    14. Time of Day
    15. APOCALYPTIC FRANCE: DUO
    16. Holographic signs
    17. SciFi Cargo Vessel
    18. Cartoon Town and Farm
    19. Western Toon Level Pack
    20. Construction Site
    21. Post-Apo Pack
    22. 3D User Interface Elements / Animated / Low poly
    23. SpeedTrees Preview Package
    24. Desktop Ground Cover Package
    25. Landscapes Part 1

From what we could test except for some very special shaders it looks always better to switch to the new U5 shaders. We do not review any custom shader yet or that reason but we may find some good new shaders soon.

45. JuhaFH

JuhaFH

I hope that oneday AssetStore works in Finland, 5 days down now.....

46. milan8888

milan8888

"what would you like to see on the asset store"

A complete map for the Shadowgun: Deazone GameMaster Kit

47. AlmightyGames

AlmightyGames

I'd love to see a section for developers to fulfill special requests. (Something like what Fiverr is doing, but for Unity assets) Unity developers from all areas could offer up whatever custom services they think they'd like to fulfill and show samples of previous works. Customers could search for such services, and compare developer's videos, images, notes and reputations before making a decision on who to hire to create their custom scripts, shaders, meshes, or whatnot. The price would be completely up to the developers. Yeah, it's not quite what you asked in your question, but this is what I'd really like to see next for Unity. You guys have pretty well covered all bases in the Unity Asset Store already! :)

Rodiaz89 and Billy4184 like this.
  48. Billy4184

Billy4184

That's a great idea, especially with art. I really think something is wrong with the idea of creating a bunch of assets that no one is guaranteed to want or need, and might miss the mark with someone's game style by a hair. If you take any two assets on the store made by different artists it's almost certain they won't mesh together even if both are fantastic. A break in style makes a game look very patched together. Some sort of easy way for developers and artists to hook up would be a brilliant solution.

AlmightyGames likes this.
  49. Recon03

Recon03

I would have to agree, tired of seeing this , and some with no support, . Then seeing assets go free, quickly, is another because devs cant handle the support.. This makes the asset store look bad, I have cut down on buying assets alot because of these issues, soon, I may stop all together if I continue to see this, some of the popular assets seem to lack decent support since Unity 5 has come out..

50. Recon03

Recon03

about time... sorry but wasted money on stuff that had good reviews, to have the publisher bail or was bailing weeks later.. or going free.. I know Unity can't predict this, but this should also clean up the store a bit more, so it may make it easier to search for good assets rather than not good ones.. I see some that have not seen an update since 2012.. Thats horrible.