Search Unity

Official What assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by caitlyn, Mar 18, 2011.

?

Which assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

1. Art Packages - Mobile/Web

24.0%
  2. Art Packages - Desktop

35.1%
  3. Complete Projects - Mobile/Web

18.0%
  4. Complete Projects - Desktop

23.5%
  5. Scripts/Script Packages

44.6%
  6. Extensions

36.9%
  7. Shaders

28.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. orb

orb

I'd like to see a system in place that lets users download any previous version of assets, and related to that, a beta-testing system. In addition to "Download" there could be "Download beta" too, if the developer made one available. More version/release date info before starting a download would be nice too.

aclee and StaffanEk like this.
  2. TonyLi

TonyLi

+1 to previous versions.

My fear about the beta idea is that less disciplined developers might be tempted to upload shoddy code as a "beta" version without sufficient internal testing first, expecting customers to do the testing for them. But on the flip side it could catch issues before they go full release.

3. orb

orb

There's always room for abuse of anything, ever

Betas would be for quick fixes and previews of future features, the way I imagined it. Not as thoroughly reviewed, and always lower down the popdown menu than the proper download link. Developers should have a proper release before they can start launching beta updates. They wouldn't be a replacement for small, focused beta-testing before the real launch. Don't turn it into Greenlight or anything :)

4. Kondor0

Kondor0

Now that Unity has 2D support can we have more 2D assets, please? tilesets, sprites, GUI objects, etc.

That would be nice.

5. cwmanley

cwmanley

Is there a gifting system on the Asset Store?

6. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Have fun! Grab your copy right now...
    http://blogs.unity3d.com/2012/04/01/semantic-game-builder-interface-to-be-integrated-into-unity/

7. merlin981

merlin981

aclee likes this.
  8. mescalin

mescalin

lol so funny, however you actually CAN do that, it is called "hiring"

9. ornithron

ornithron

I'd love to see more art assets

10. Zahidylin_Marat

Zahidylin_Marat

Hello. How about 3D buildings?
    I and friend of mine are creating 3d Rome town for our game, and when models will be finished, we are going to sell it on Asset store.
    (I will create thread on this forum soon) .

11. goaway

goaway

This sounds like a good idea, but maybe instead of

"If player has collected "MissileBox" (GameobjectName), then [if] they press the "D" key, a missile will appear 2 units above the current player position."

we could use some sort of shorthand version like

if(player.hasMissileBox Input.GetKeyDown("D"))
    {
    GameObject newMissile= Instantiate(missile);
    newMissile.transform.position.y = player.transform.position.y - 2;
    }

Im just being a jerk, but I dont really think that is possible at this time. Maybe look into PlayMaker. Sounds like it is what your looking for.

12. Sildaekar

Sildaekar

I personally think it would be possible, but like you said it would have to be shorthand...maybe something simpler though like:

Code (csharp):
    2. if player has misslebox and key "d" is pressed
    3.   projectile = instantiate missle
    4.   projectile position y = 2
    5. endif
    But I also believe the time it would take to design a new pseudo language and create a compiler for it wouldn't be worth the amount one would get in sales.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  13. Maccyfin

Maccyfin

Hey all. I just posted this on a seperate thread and then noticed this one. I guess it's relevent here too :)
    Here's the original post:

Hey Unity team. We've been using unity for a few years now for mobile games on android and iOS. It's awesome and we love it.

I also personally run a Youtube channel which talks about how to make mobile games, show tutorials and also discusses the business aspects of making games for mobile devices. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/user/HowToMakeMobileGames

A lot of the viewers are unity users and they've often taken my advice to purchase plugins from sites like prime31. I'd really like to be able to recommend purchases from the unity asset store as well as an affiliate. ie, if someone purchases something from the asset store then I would make a percentage of the sale. This would give me a huge incentive to grow my channel further; it would help other developers promote their products on the asset store, and it would bring more users in to the unity world.

Please consider implementing this somehow as I think an affiliate program would benefit you guys and the developers.

For any developers reading this, please comment below and show your support. Just me posting alone won't likely get noticed

Thanks all
    Happy Developing
    Martin

14. Sildaekar

Sildaekar

While an affiliate program would be great in theory it would be horrible in practice. What would stop developers from creating a separate account for the affiliate program and then getting their sales plus the affiliate rate for their assets? While a good idea I highly doubt Unity will implement this due to the reason I stated.

aclee likes this.
  15. Maccyfin

Maccyfin

Well it wouldn't matter if a developer did do this. They would get a little extra percentage. Let's say Unity gives 5% of any sale to an affiliate from their percentage. This isn't a huge drop and it just goes to the developer anyway - someone who is supporting their eco-system by creating content.

Or, if they did want to stop this, it could be possible to do a credit card check for any affiliate account and see if it doubles with an already existing account. Only one account can be created per name / details / card.

16. stefmen

stefmen

+1

17. Hrothvitnir

Hrothvitnir

Hair (as in hair styles). I hate making hair. So abstract. Makes me want to go back to coding.
    I think a large pack of multiple hairstyles (and/or faces) could sell well.
    I am talking about decent quality though (~ 1000-2000+ triangles for a long hair style), textured, normal mapped, spec, and good uvs.

I might be interested in DX11 hair prefabs as well, if it wasn't too expensive performance wise.
    Maybe just one or two to see how it works though and not necessarily a big pack, unless one was given away for free to test.
    Not many people would pay a lot for things they might not be able to use.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  18. goaway

goaway

An asset store package manager that is not bug ridden and unstable.

19. merlin981

merlin981

Not sure what bugs/instabilities you're having... I've used the asset store package manager for about 20 projects, and have not had an issue with any of them. Yes, there are additional features I'd like to see in it, but I haven't any bugs or experienced instability.

20. goaway

goaway

When signing up if you dont have a http in your url it errors but wont tell you why, took me awhile to figure that out.

When seeing the preview of my package i have to click 3 times to get it to show in the store. Once to load the asset store on the wrong package then again to make it go white and it may show on this stage. Then a third click to see it.

The preview shows the images from my last submission even if I update them.

They say you can submit packages on unity free but I submitted several and while they were listed as pending on the asset store i now realized they should have said under review as none of them were actually working.

One of my packages got rejected as apparently it was submitted with 0 screenshots or graphics. I uploaded them they disappeared somewhere along the line.

I often have to restart unity to get a new image to upload, removing image does not always work.

Either way I have just had a ton of trouble with what should have been small tasks.

21. softwizz

softwizz

I would like to see the price an asset is advertised at being the price I pay.

Example (I wont mention the asset)

List price $5 so I go to buy, suddenly its Euros 4.75 and at the current exchange rate thats $6.48.

Now even with the UK ripping me off with 20% V.A.T this should be $6.

Meh you might think thats just pennies.

I looked at a $250 assset comes up at Euros 237.50 that is $324.66, not such a small difference now is it.

So what exchange rate does the asset store use because its not one thats relevant.

I pay with paypal so the price can be kept in $ and paypal will convert this to £ at a proper exchange rate not some value pulled out of space.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  22. softwizz

softwizz

Just got the $5 asset and after the conversion to Euros and 20% V.A.T It cost me $6.75

$0.75 more than it should have.

23. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

I understand Unity are based out of Denmark and the VAT in Denmark is 25% not 20%

24. softwizz

softwizz

Maybe the prices should be in Euros then and not $

I still paid $0.50 more even if thats the case

The problem is the exchange rate from $ to Euros

25. Mementos

Mementos

As far as i know, those $ Prices are without VAT, € prices already including VAT´s.

26. softwizz

softwizz

I would like to see some results when I search the asset store.

Searching for AI returns no results:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/search/AI

Yet under Scripting -> AI there are at least 10 assets with AI in the title.

The same for A* no results yet under the same category there is at least 1 asset with A* in the title.

Same for searching for boo no results.

There is an asset called Kii yet if you search for Kii there are no results.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/search/kii
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/13977

And if you want to search for RPG then the same thing, no results.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/search/rpg

EDIT:
    Yes it looks like thats the problem as there are no results for any search term.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  27. schala

schala

I actually believe that is due to a recent issue with the asset store. Today any search I make will say there are no results; however yesterday I did the same searches and got many results back. Usually search functionality works pretty fine for me as it is. :)

28. Deleted User

Deleted User

Now that Unity has opened up the possibility for easier 2d game creation, I'm looking at the possibility of selling 2D art assets via the unity store, currently the only way to access 2D art is via the 'Textures and Materials' section, which is fine for 'texture and materials', but doesn't really make much sense for typical 2d artwork, for instance, gems / blocks for match3 games, alphabetical / numerical 'blocks' for puzzle games, 2D props, sprites ( currently found in that section under 'textures and materials > 2d characters' ), etc.

Before I start submitting content for approval for sale, can I ask that the Unity Dev team look into the possibility of creating a new section for specific 2D art, the current 'textures and materials' doesn't really fit and as a seller, I would like the best coverage possible for my art when trying to sell it ! :)

Would love to hear a response from the asset store team on this very subject and if a better solution is forthcoming ?

Kind regards.

29. orb

orb

Yes, a 2D section divided into sprites and other categories would be great. They've already rearranged and added other categories, so I'm sure it'll happen soon :)

30. Jeremy Fuller

Jeremy Fuller

This may have been mentioned before, but I'd love the ability to sort search results by everything (popularity, price, rating, etc.)

31. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

You already can sort by price and popularity etc

32. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Not on search results I believe.

33. StevakoBoy

StevakoBoy

I think it'd be a good idea if the Asset Store had a feature,so a percentage of the money asset publishers make from their assets,goes to their Asset Store Credits, if publishers could choose the percentage that would be awesome!

34. harter112

harter112

free zombie kit

35. Andreas12345

Andreas12345

I like to see a Aircraft Arcade Kit with Multiplayer:
    Like the old game airfix dogfighter, but with new GFX and Effects.

may be a sample scene with some pickups and weapons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2PmAGPXeLw

I think a pricing between 80$ and 100$ is possible.

I love old games in a new style :)

36. lazygunn

lazygunn

Better sorting of search results, its extremely annoying atm

But mainly, trees. Not making the trees themselves, theres plenty of ways to do that both 3rd party, Unity and yourself, but no ways to make forests that don't look terrible. I guess i'm asking for a lod system that uses several techniques, depending on distance, to lod trees until there are literally hundreds of thousands of instances. I'm guessing full 3d trees upfront, then going on to volumetric billboards, then simpler billboards, then just pixel trees, i dont really know how, but what i'd call 'competitive' ways to render vast amounts of things like trees would make my day. I take my immediate cues from Proland, but whatever the Unigine guys are doing is pretty spiffing

37. SOULSSAGA

SOULSSAGA

Guess its your Lucky year ...

TerraiN Composer developer is Working in that Exact plugin as you Say at 6 months ago Already now ... I actually Asked 1 year ago for that wich is called Stream Composer, And Basically is a LOD Streamer That integrates with terrain Composer, you Basically feed The program with Severall LODS Of a Mesh / can be High resolution or whatever / You can make them in Speedtree or other tree creation Program. Then the program Scatters Large kilometers of Meshes, making Bilboards at higher distances and a degree of lods by Camera proximity. And Streams it from the DIsck from TerrainComposer native files for you ... This is not just For trees but for all kinds of Meshes.

This will be released Near same time when TerraiN Composer Gets the Hability of Scatter Objects Not needing terrain.

BAsicaly the developer of terrain Composer is Just HOlding on and taking a long development ( more than 6 months already ) in this Secound Terrain Composer StreamComposer Extension, Because Unity Lack of 64 Bits Made him to Develop from ground a Load from Disc On runtime Stream Method ... Because Unity 3gb 32bits Limits make such tasks crash the editor ... So the developer was forced to get this extension on other long programming Alternative ways ...

Unity lack of 64 bits is one of the biggest why one canot compare Unity to cryEngine / udk / or S2 ENgine In terms of Large levels Creation content ...

Hope that Changes in the next 6 months ... but STreamComposer plugin For TerraiNComposer is Already on Half of its development and already does all that you say by the way ...

Talk with the Developer and you might even get on the Alpha Test team.

ALL BEST.

SOULS

38. lazygunn

lazygunn

We have communicated, so i guess he'll get in touch if what you say is the case and he considers me a suitable tester. I'm back to not being in any hurry, i'd just like knowing the solutions there when I get to that point

39. JaneY

JaneY

Physics package that controls a character other than the provided physics options. One such as in Clumsy Ninja.

40. DRSulik

DRSulik

I'd like to see some kind of indication that I am actually downloading an asset!

41. Sildaekar

Sildaekar

You mean like the progress bar in the download portion of the Asset store window?

42. dibdab

dibdab

modularity. how you get modularity? with prefabs.

the latest beta assets where better than the standard assets and there are already air/land vehicle controllers, player controllers etc. what is needed, is environment to showcase these prefabs. in actual android/win/ios builds so the buyer can try out, see what he's getting.

and there's some that would be eligible for showcase. the driving circuit was a good in U3, some seaside for pirates and ships, some shooting range for fps and so on. if all of the asset store thingies are potentially includable, then the possibilities are (almost) endless.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  43. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

In terms of 3D art assets, I'd like to see more variety in the sci-fi characters category. It seems like 90% of sci-fi characters (and not just on the Asset Store) are armored space marines.

Even in "space trooper" movies like Aliens and Starship Troopers or the short-lived TV show Space: Above and Beyond, you had characters like mechanics, technicians, scientists, consultants, pilots, and civilians (adults and kids). Not every sci-fi game is about space marines and few are *exclusively* about space marines. Even if there were more generic characters that could fill more roles, it would be nice. Modern-day characters sometimes work, but those often include clothing that looks too contemporary or too specific.

44. cyangamer

cyangamer

Something I see lacking in the asset store is animations for creatures without the models. Plenty of bipedal mecanim animations, but a wider array of animation/rigs for quadruped/insects would be a great help for those who want to make more esoteric game protagonists! :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  45. joergzdarsky

joergzdarsky

+1 for 3D art asset packages for sci-fi.

What I am especially missing are inside cockpit assets/meshes for spacefighter games and inside views.
    There are lots of models for outside view, but hardly any cockpits. So, X-Wing like cockpits for Unity games like Eve-VR,

Oculus Rift and other VR glasses are coming big this year, and that makes the need for cockpits really high.

46. evgeniy.utkinco

evgeniy.utkinco

One thing that's missing is a minigame framework to integrate into an app.
    However, if you are an iPhone dev that has iaps with a virtual currency, check out this plugin recently released for Unity for slots and scratch off minigames, InAppFuel "The Minigame SDK for Mobile Developers."

First I saw an article about InAppFuel in VentureBeat, then I signed up after meeting with them at GDC, integrated it within an hour into my app (considering the customization of the themes), and have been able to drive a considerable amount of revenue through the new iaps.

Here is the link- http://inappfuel.com

47. Stardog

Stardog

I would like to see webplayer links NOT opening in the asset store frame...They don't work inside the editor.

48. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

I would love to see some rts starting project; so you can have the basic set and start to work on the mechanics.

White_Mouse likes this.
  49. Ghidera

Ghidera

I'd like to see fleshed out characters. There are some great humanoids models but few have parts for customization. What I mean is several faces, multiple armour types (cloth to plate etc). So instead of an elven wizard I'd like to see an elf with clothing, armour, weapons, etc so you could make that elf into whatever you like. Perhaps have the body for sale and make different "kits" available to make them into space marines or wizards, or whatever the genre you like.

50. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Actually you can find plenty of such characters, outside the store. Would be nice to have them in the store, but most of the artists that make game assets, usually give you either the fbx or the Unitypackage as choice, so it is not that hard to implement it.