Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official What assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by caitlyn, Mar 18, 2011.

?

Which assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?

1. Art Packages - Mobile/Web

24.0%
  2. Art Packages - Desktop

35.2%
  3. Complete Projects - Mobile/Web

18.0%
  4. Complete Projects - Desktop

23.5%
  5. Scripts/Script Packages

44.6%
  6. Extensions

36.9%
  7. Shaders

28.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Redz0ne

Redz0ne

I'm not sure if this has been asked but here goes.

If you're familiar with the iTunes store how if a merchant has you able to purchase individual songs from an album but if you later decide to get the rest of the album, the price is affected accordingly dependant on how many songs you've purchased... So, say the album is $10 and I buy two songs for $1 each... if i later wish to get the rest of the album I can only pay $8 to complete it.

Reason I mention this is that I would like to see a feature where a merchant can sell bits and pieces of a full package... so, say i have an asset pack with 50 buildings in different styles and textures and I'm selling it for $50. What I'd like to be able to do is to offer say, a handful of the buildings with one texture applied for a smaller amount (say it's a fifth of the entire package) of about $10... but if a customer wants to complete the "set" and get the rest later on down the road, only having them be charged for the difference would be a nice thing for my customers to be able to use... That said, I do understand that for some things there'd have to be linkages so it wouldn't be that they can just DL the texture of one building, it'd have to be of set groups that I could define as the seller.

Is this something that you thing would be a worthwhile idea to consider? It'd make the customer experience that much better as well as give us sellers the added option of tailoring the experience (if we wish to) so that we can encourage more sales (I believe it would encourage more sales because then a person could purchase a smaller bit of a full package for a game... and if they like it, they can complete the "Set" which would help lower the overall cost to the customer.

It's a rough idea though so I'm not sure how that'd work and it would surely need more polishing and refining to be effective... but it's something i'd like to be able to do as I'm trying to take a very customer-positive approach to how I conduct myself on the asset store.

2. Dubious-Drewski

Dubious-Drewski

I would love to buy an easy to use 2d billboard imposter function for rendering far away objects efficiently. I cannot find this sort of thing anywhere in the store currently.

I'm fiddling around with render-to-texture, but I'm certain someone else has already done it far more efficiently.

Has anyone seen this anywhere?

White_Mouse likes this.
  3. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I would like to see more fully animated 2d sprites, for use as main characters, or as additional enemies etc.. I couldn't only maybe find one or two? This seems like a big shortage, and most of the platformer kits have pretty terrible main sprites. Think of all the people wanting to make platformers and other side-scroll games. Also especially bone-animated characters that can work in e.g. smooth moves etc would be good, then if necessary the graphics could be switched our or tweaked without messing up the animation totally. There are a LOT of mechanim packs for 3d characters with all nice smooth bone animation, realtime-captured animation etc... but barely anything in the department of non-realistic, cartoony, fun/characterful animated characters.

4. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I would like to see coupons where you can create say 5 coupons and then give people a discount, so the first 5 people to use them get a discount or whatever.

5. nipoco

nipoco

That is a nice idea

6. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I would like unity to encourage users to if they are asking for support to send an invoice so we can verify its a paying customer. Because it seems like most people dont know it is (probably because its not common practice to ask for it).

There is a problem with the publisher inside unity if you are trying to work with more than 1 project. If you select 1 project description, switch over to another product it will not change the description to the new project.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  7. Smartline-Games

Smartline-Games

Hi. I would really like to have a scripts/script package to create a networked First-Person-Shooter. Thanks already, but please give me a chance.

8. GiusCo

GiusCo

With in-house 2D coming soon, I would like seeing a 2D art section in the Asset Store: re-usable characters, consumables, backgrounds, themed / stylish artwork, cartoonish themes, sci-fi and distopian sprites. Sort of things we can re-use commercially for 2D platforms, scrollers and so on.

9. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

Nice idea. I wonder why no-one has made this yet. Surely developers are racing to implement this now, after reading the comment!

10. Rafes

Rafes

If you mean making any object face the camera properly (not "look-at", but using the proper parallel vector), this is one of many things UnityConstraints does:

constraints.path-o-logical.com

See the second video for a demo.

Oh, it also has the ability to only billboard vertically for things like trees which need to stay perpendicular to the ground but still face camera.

(The price is going up very soon too.)

11. Nevulus

Nevulus

In the unity asset store I would like to see a couple of things not listed in the poll:
    1) I would like to see the character models section clearly defined, i.e differentiate between models Mecanim ready and those that are not.
    2) I would like to see the Unity tech demos that actually work. Not the ones based on an older versions that do not work anymore, or at least a label noting an old tech demo that will not work in the current version of Unity.
    3) I would like to see a 2D section.
    4) I would like to NOT see "Kharma.IO[/api/category/results/0.json]" errors spamming my status bar in Unity everytime I open the asset store.
    5) I would like to actually SEE the asset store. Every now then when I open the asset store, it stays blank for a long period of time. I have to end up restarting Unity3d in order to view the asset store again.

12. Muckel

Muckel

i miss since the beginning:

a Plugin to view PDF in Unity

13. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I would like to see a comment that says if you import a complete project in an existing project it will override the settings . Someone left a comment even after I explained that to him, saying his project was ruined.

14. tstpierre_nss

tstpierre_nss

Could be more generically implemented than that.... allow us asset store developers to have our own TOS/EULA dialog that pops on import. We can put what we want in there: instructions, release notes, additional info, migration info, etc. Then continue if they OK the import, cancel/rollback if the say no/cancel.

15. tstpierre_nss

tstpierre_nss

I'd also like to see some service level agreements on Asset submission/review processes.

During feature sprints for the past month and a half, we've been done with enhancements/fixes before the previous release package has been approved. This overall is hindering development in all areas.

I'd like to see some better information for Agile teams to be able to plan work effectively.

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

More character models can never harm, seems to be a shortage of top notch player characters.

17. KawwaK

KawwaK

I can't belive still there's no content for trading card games!! (tcg or ccg).

Is it so hard to do?

White_Mouse likes this.
  18. Cogent

Cogent

I would NOT like to see ads on the Unity Asset Store.

While I am sure Ricks crowdsourced/crowdfunded medieval rpg game will be a smash hit
    the ad for it belongs on mmorpg, mmohut etc., not on the asset store.

Want to plug some developers game? ...put it in the gallery or on the front page, not the asset store.

Will I see ads from Microsoft next?

I guess if enough money changes hands anything can and will happen.

19. Cogent

Cogent

"Which assets would you like to see on the Unity Asset Store?"

Interesting but I don't see a choice that includes ads in the poll.

The SOA add belongs elswhere.

20. Gnaws

Gnaws

I would LOVE to see how to set up a character "demo page" in the Asset Store to help me sell my characters. One that has buttons demonstrating: jumps, runs, attacks, etc.

21. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Gotta say, I LOVE that new "Wish List" system!! Fantastic.

Here are my few suggestions :

1. I would like to see version history and file size information at where they used to be - at the top just below the price. It makes it easier to have all the information in one place at a glance.

2. I think its about time Asset Store team learn about this magical thing called "frame" in HTML :D It annoys me to no end that Unity is forcing Asset Store sellers to create a giant wallpaper for their extension with a huge half-page white space to the left. Why not just use FRAMES (invisible frame) so you can keep the left column clear for text while right column for the graphics (extension wallpaper/background) - it will also makes the file size smaller, Asset Store loading faster, if the graphics is just limit to right column!

22. Thavron

Thavron

++ especially on this and also your other points.

Can someone confirm that? I asked Unity how to participate Sales, Daily Deals etc. but unfortunately didn't get a reply...

2x ++

Yes, great feature.
    Would be nice to see how many "Wish Lists" contain an asset (for the creator).

23. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Dude, frames are so 1980's internet ;) It's easy now to have a `div` with css styling to allow it to scroll hidden content without the need to have a whole separate html file for it.

24. merlin981

merlin981

There is an asset store package that can do this - 3D Model Showcase (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/11831)

25. Ullukai

Ullukai

What id like to see on the assetstore these days: more halloween models and stuff for halloween games that are not expensive like couple dollars 'cos im making a halloween game. I mean im trying to get it done for this halloween but stuff is missing. Im still looking for gibs and gore parts like meat parts flying after hitting creatures,etc... also cant find a cheap good looking witch ..not even the headless horseman can be found ! thanks for reading

26. dragonstar

dragonstar

i like to see more project related to AI and completes project for mobile and the OUYA

27. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Oh LOL, You will have to excuse me.... I havn't touch HTML since 1997!

What I meant is this :

See the white space above? (to the right) That's for the left column of the Asset Store.
    That's on every page of the Asset Store - Every asset must be submitted this way. Why can't they just seperate the background to the right - maybe even using a TABLE! :D That way the proper brand/image can be fit nicely into the right hand column make it easier to link to the forum post.

28. OutSpoken_Gaming

OutSpoken_Gaming

The ability to search by price.

29. NeilMeredith

NeilMeredith

Earlier in this thread I saw the following 2 things mentioned that I want to second:

Sales analytics on customers.
    It would be great to see who your customers are so you can reach out and offer them promotions on future assets, or at least see what link they followed to your asset page and where most of your customers are from - something similar to what google analytics provides.

Coupons
    Someone purchased my asset before it went live. Now that it is live, I would like to be able to provide them with a coupon to get the asset for free, so they can get future updates from the asset store, but I can't do that.

30. Thavron

Thavron

PayPal payout in EUR would be nice. PayPal takes about 3% for USD->EUR conversion.
    I would rather give Unity these dollars or keep them :wink:

31. JustAnotherDude

JustAnotherDude

I'd like to be able to download the packages using a normal browser.

The browser inside unity is horrible, incredibly slow and often doesn't work.

Using chrome there are no delays or issues, also, would be great to save the packages wherever I want.

aclee likes this.
  32. Brian@Artific

Brian@Artific

More than anything else, this. Providers that want to be responsive to customer needs have to have some way of confirming what those needs are. Absent the sort of tools chingwa describes, providers are left to guess rather than experiment and the whole market is made less efficient. The more tools that Unity provides to encourage dialog between providers and customers, the better off we all are.

33. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

I agree it is slow at times, but to seperate Asset Store and Unity would be HUGE MISTAKE. I love how easy it is that Unity automatically imports the asset into Unity, and I would imagine seperating Asset Store from Unity (using independent browser) would completely destroy the usability for new users.

34. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

I am desperetly looking for an animals pack.
    I cant grad animal if they are from different artist because of the style
    there is just one pack that could fit, forst animal pack by protofactor, the style of the animal is nice, but the animation are really not good.
    i tried to find out of the store, arteria : too high poly, 3dSquid: 800 $ for a cat( even my wife 's cat costed cheaper!)

35. gridside

gridside

Please close u3d.as domain or redirect it to assetstore.unity3d.com

36. dzodzu

dzodzu

+1

37. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I would like to see some kind of affiliate thing were we can get a % of the assets sale. For example in my demo scenes I might include scoreflash or something heres a link to assets that are included. I think something like that would help pimp out fellow assets, or maybe some kind of deal where if they buy all the included assets they save 10% (or whatever). So maybe some kind of API that and they are like you pay this much money in a "bundle" you save that much money.

if you look at my demo I have like 5 extra assets
    http://inanegames.ca/starterPack1/starterPack1.html

Another idea and this one is more complex but essentially it would allow you to create two scenes, the first is for people that actually own the asset (and this would be only included if they actually own the assets), the other would be for ones that dont.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    aclee likes this.
  38. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I chose Extensions because most of the work I do is derived from CG film quality material, and Skyshop is filling that void. I think once there is a PBL solution, everything should be good...

And Shroud for cloth, I kinda wish it wasn't $599, because for my current project it is a must have.

39. merlin981

merlin981

+1

40. Ullukai

Ullukai

I really need something to help me find certain assets that I have bought from the assetstore over the years. I have over 7 gb of assets that I have bought over the years from the assetstore and it is just crazy to find that particle pack that I bought from a couple years ago from the assetstore folder. Some sort of assetstore manager for the computer folder would be nice so that I could actually find out where in fact that particle pack is now. As it is right now I have like hundreds of folders there in the assetstore folder to go through and try to find it. So I'm requesting an assetstore manager program or something that will help me find those assets. Something that keeps the names of the assets from the store would work nice because some of those packs are not the same name as the actual unitypackage you get downloaded into the assetstore folder. Thanks

aclee likes this.
  41. Bradamante

Bradamante

I find the category in the asset store that is lacking quality assets the most is sounds. Particles a distant second. On the asset store you can find amazing quality assets in many categories. The deals are fantastic. But I am desperately looking for sounds right now and just can't find a package sounding like what I need. It's really a weird situation. Here I am sitting waiting for someone to throw money at, but there just isn't one.

In theory, there are sound packages on the store, but judging from their samples and demos, the sounds are often scratchy, noisy or pitched too high. They lack a deeper, punchy, bassier dimension. It's hard to describe.

Sometimes I even write feedback emails to the authors of these assets and I remember that twice they even acknowledged what I said as I problem, especially after I showed them comparison material on Youtube. When I see sound people demoing their work on Youtube, I sometimes write them a message if they couldn't bring their work to the Unity asset store, but they usually reply that they are not familiar with Unity or that one can use their sound products no matter what game development IDE one uses. Which is true, but besided the point.

I wonder what a can be done from a Asset Store management standpoint? Maybe there should be a competition held? Where asset creators receive price money plus the usual asset store profits?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  42. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I would like to see more 2D art assets for shootemups, platformers etc.. main characters/ships but also enemy sprites, shots, explosions, scenery, etc. It would also be useful if these graphics were somehow modifiable in terms of their color palette to be able to vary them so that the game doesn't look like everyone else's.

43. Atmey

Atmey

I'd like to see a mecanim system for facial expressions, automatically generating and rigging bones (or manually setting them up with a guide). I mean that is the only thing missing from mecanim, setting up keyshapes and morphs for each individual model is a pain.

44. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Could we please just get a notification system when there is a update to bought assets.
    Itunes/Android all the other stores seem to have a system like this.
    ActiveDen another popular site even has email notification.
    We are in the year 2013?

45. Misanthropic2013

Misanthropic2013

Alright, I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, as I'm both new to Unity and my idea probably sounds sketchy... but, just imagine this idea you guys. (for an awesome extension)

English to Code Converter! Imagine, you're making a game, and want to have a missile created when the player presses the "D" key after picking up an ammo box. So, say you type this in:

"If player has collected "MissileBox" (GameobjectName), then [if] they press the "D" key, a missile will appear 2 units above the current player position."

So imagine you type that into a javascript or C# document, and then the extension converts the english into code. Correct formatting, all the confusing stuff such as Instantiation and syntax and accessing other player scripts and variables have been automatically taken care of.

I'm not sure on exactly how this would work, probably through some keywords and phrases, but I know for a fact that many developers who don't like coding or find it confusing would love this. Could you guys imagine if something like this was created? Long forgotten would the days be of forgetting a semi-colon, or accidentally typing "Transform" instead of "transform", instead the code can be generated by the extension! (I am well aware that there would be many difficulties in making an extension such as this, but at least entertain the idea :p )

Take my idea with a grain of salt though, I'm just a noob trying to learn javascript. Maybe one day however, designers will be able to program games in Unity without spending hours learning programming languages.

46. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

@Misanthropic2013: Don't count on that for the next decade or two. By that time you will be fluent in C# I guess :p

However, there are a couple of visual programming tools already available on Asset Store that come really close to your idea!

Other than that the closest thing I've ever seen to that was a very old application called (I think) Game Maker. It was based on very simple idea: whenever any event gets triggered a Wizard Window pops up and asks what do you want to happen. In the beginning you'll get a lot of pop ups and you'll have to say 'ignore' for most of them. But you'll be able to select those that are relevant and the wizard will offer you different choices. So build the game logic by answering predefined questions...

EDIT:
    The application was called Klik 'n' Play (not Game Maker) and it was kind of popular years back around 1994.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  47. Misanthropic2013

Misanthropic2013

@Flipbookee

I actually have been browsing around a few Visual Scripting tools, and will have to give them a try. My idea is flawed because... it would be way too open-ended. lol, but I'm sure some of these Visual Scripting extensions will be of use to me! :)

48. 90DegreeDesigns

90DegreeDesigns

Honestly, I want to see a Kismet-like editor extension free for commercial use on the asset store. But since this isn't my world, I will get what I can. :)

49. Brenden-Frank

Brenden-Frank

A framework helping developers build a standalone editor or any alternative that offers an easy way to allow user generated content.

Another thing I'd like to see is a prefab specialization editor. This means I can define a prefab and then define new prefabs that inherit from it. Sort of like unity does instancing, but then being able to store those as prefabs.

For example: Unit->Infantry->Marine vs Unit->Vehicle->Tank

If I make a change to any of the settings on the Unit prefab which were not overridden on the child prefabs, they automatically inherit that change.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  50. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I want to see a pay what you want model where they can pay $2, $5, 10 or whatever bucks.