Search Unity

What server solution is the best for my game?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by iShadowfax, Mar 22, 2015.

1. iShadowfax

iShadowfax

I know that PUN is not allow an authorization logic on it's side. What could you advice for such a project:
    1) Multiplayer Collectable card game (like hearthstone)
    2) I need a dedicated authoritative server for such a game as I understand.
    3) I don't need to allow players cheat using only master server and running server logic on client side.

I know nodeJS, but i hope there is a more sutable sollution for games on unity​

2. RuggeriExtreme

RuggeriExtreme

SmartFox Server 2X

3. iShadowfax

iShadowfax

And is it possible to use a compiled Unity instance with RPC functions and start it in batchmode?

4. RuggeriExtreme

RuggeriExtreme

SmartFox Server 2X runs in Java as separate server in a console application, then you can communicate with sfs2x by a unity client with c# api imported in unity client.

naldal likes this.
  5. tobiass

tobiass

I'd say it's a bit of overhead to run headless Unity as server for a card game just to have RPCs. You don't need to know a scene/level or physics.
    The non-Unity based servers will give you better performance and will be easier to manage, run and scale for something as simple as a card game.

gfoot likes this.
  6. iShadowfax

iShadowfax

Are there any good video tutorials for photon server + unity SDK?
    As I understand for my purpose I need photon server + unity SDK and not PUN?

UnbreakableOne likes this.
  7. tobiass

tobiass

There is a very extensive video tutorial series by Christian Richards:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/cjrgaming
    I can't exactly say how up to date they are. They should be good for orientation in any case.

We suggest to use the LoadBalancing API from our Photon Unity SDK when you host and modify the Photon Server. PUN makes some assumptions how the server works and might be less easy to "get".
    You can begin simple by getting the SDKs and run the precompiled server and the demos.

Check the doc pages for the Server:
    http://doc.exitgames.com/en/onpremise/current/getting-started/photon-server-in-5min

8. afavar

afavar

Would it be a good idea to use Parse SDK to work with authorization logic. If the user logs in than we can connect to Photon.

9. tobiass

tobiass

That's a good combination, yes. You could also use their API in Photon to do the Parse-authentication from within Photon. But either way is good!

10. jpthek9

jpthek9

Playfab + Photon Turn-based would actually work really well for a turn-based card game. You can easily store player data on a cloud server, retrieve it, and communicate between players with Turn-based. GameSparks can probably work as well but it doesn't plan to have Photon integration. With GameSparks, you can just send cloud code messages which will work just as well. I guess Parse does the same thing.

Smartfox 2X won't be at all suitable imo. The max concurrent users is very limiting and they don't have any partnership deals. Plus, they're built for real-time MMOs.

11. iShadowfax

iShadowfax

How can photon-turnbased help me with server logic? It doesn't have server code as i know.

12. jpthek9

jpthek9

It depends what kind of server logic you need. If you don't need real-time processing, use Playfab to do your server logic. Honestly, you've not given much information about your game.

13. iShadowfax

iShadowfax

The game is like hearthstone, all operations on playing cards must be done by server, each card has it's own properities and server has to process each one in a unique way

14. Neoshiftr

Neoshiftr

15. UnbreakableOne

UnbreakableOne

I'm tryting to do a similar thing. Have you had any success with any of BaaS's so far?

16. iShadowfax

iShadowfax

I decided to try standard unity networking and use 1 client process for 1 game.
    I do not think now about process launching on remote server, but this is a style League of legends work. There is a dedicated client for rooms and other stuff and a client for a game session.

PS Photon server looks like a good solution also, but lack of best practices and tutorials makes it really hard to study it

17. UnbreakableOne

UnbreakableOne

Thanks for the reply.

What do you mean by:
    Isn't what you wanted to make an online TCG?

PS I've read today that Bolt asset is good if you are going vanilla.