Search Unity

What perspective is this?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tmscaf, Mar 30, 2015.

1. tmscaf

tmscaf

Hi everyone. I recently was inspired by Family Guy's newest special event going on where they released a Star Trek themed event (see pic below for example). I thought it would be pretty neat to make a space based game with a similar perspective. However, I'm having a hard time on identifying the true type of perspective they use. I would say that it's a 2.5d perspective but when I google examples of 2.5d I get a large variety of results that dont really compare. Ultimately I'd like to know for the sake of finding tutorials that give good examples on how to setup an environment such as this as I'm still new to Unity and have only been traveling down the path of 3d.

Secondly, does anyone happen to know what engine they use?

Thanks for any and all help. It's appreciated.

2. carking1996

carking1996

Orthographic.

theANMATOR2b, tmscaf and Kiwasi like this.
  3. Ostwind

Ostwind

Yep orthographic camera mode with isometric graphics

theANMATOR2b, tmscaf and Kiwasi like this.
  4. Waz

Waz

Isometric. You can achieve this by using the Orthographic camera mode and giving the camera transform rotations (35.264,-45,0) (or 90º Y-rotations of that, depending on how you want X and Z oriented).

The purpose of this projection is to give equal visibility to all 3 sides of objects. Depending on your content you might prefer to drop the camera a little - you don't have to stick with exact isometric.

Note that that actual game isn't 3D at all, it's just 2D using isometric graphics, which is a pain in the neck because you have to do the sorting and obscurance manually.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    tmscaf likes this.
  5. tmscaf

tmscaf

Waz - sent you a PM