Search Unity

What not to learn in coding tutorials.

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by jimzepellin, Aug 28, 2014.

1. jimzepellin

jimzepellin

I think this has been asked before and i tried searching the forum but I couldn't think of a simple way to write the question so didn't find an answer.
    Anyway. I'm new to coding and I was looking at lengthy coding tutorials and had a thought.

Coding for games may not use the full gamut of whatever language you are using. So the questions is, is that the case? Is there parts of C#, for example, I should ignore. Or, should I just be learning everything?
    I just thought there's no point in concentrating on learning stuff that may be useless at the moment. I'm not saying that I wouldn't learn the stuff. I just want to streamline my time and concentrate on the stuff I need.

Here's the stuff I thought I'd go through https://buckysroom.org/videos.php?cat=15

Thanks for any help.

2. RoryScanlan

RoryScanlan

I think you should go through the entire tutorial, you could pick up some very usefull c# stuff.
    I myself learnt c# through coding game examples but as soon as i get to uni im sure i will have to start from the begining again and im sure i will learn stuff that i didnt know before that could help me.

And i also used bucky room as a reference so if i got stuck with a specfific part of c# i would go to bucky's room or unity docs.

3. Limeoats

Limeoats

You don't need to know the most advanced concepts in C# to make a game in Unity.
    Does it help to know them? Absolutely. I use some advanced C# techniques while developing my game and not only does it improve performance, but it makes the code must cleaner and also allows for some better functionality.

I'd recommend going through the entire tutorial, paying closest attention to the core concepts. Once you reach the advanced topics, look through them and understand that they exist, but you don't necessarily need to learn them at the moment.

4. frosted

frosted

there are a lot of topics there that talk about win forms controls. These are widgets that are used when making older desktop business apps. These can safely be skipped.

Most books and videos that try to teach you a language will cover two things:
    1 - It will cover the language itself, the syntax, the kinds of structures the language supports. The really core language.
    2 - It will cover the standard library that most people use with the language. This would include going over some or all of the different stuff that comes standard with the language.

For unity, #2 is generally not useful. You really don't make use of a lot of the .net library - and you make zero use of the visual parts of the library (anything WinForms, WPF, etc).

The important parts of the standard library to familiarize yourself with are really the collections: lists and dictionaries at minimum. You may also want to gain a solid understanding of serialization, since this might be relevant if you want to save your game.

I would focus almost entirely on the language itself, the syntax and structures.

edit: I'd also say, just use common sense. Watch a minute or two of some of the "learning a specific class" videos and see if maybe that class is something that might be useful for you. I would finally suggest going over IO (reading and writing to files/streams) even if this isn't something you use all the time in unity - or even if you're writing for webplayer and can't use IO - being able to read and write files can be really useful during development, for testing, or all kinds of other stuff.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    TonyLi likes this.
  5. Andrew Chami

Andrew Chami

I suggest www.thenewboston.org to learn programming and also watch unity's learn for scripting, and then all you need to do is practice. Good luck mate :D