Search Unity

What language to use it?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by podent, Feb 19, 2014.

1. podent

podent

Hi. I want to start learning unity but I don't know which language. Do I learn C# or Javascript?
    Please respond and sorry if this is the area to post. I thought this would be the best place
    to post it. Anyway Thanks in advance.

-Podent

2. BlakeGillman

BlakeGillman

Best place to start is JavaScript, then learn C#, once you learn one it is easy to learn the other as they are very similar. But since you are just starting (In my opinion) you should learn JavaScript first.

3. BlakeGillman

BlakeGillman

Try this link, it's interactive, free, and a great way to start learning Programming Languages:
    http://www.codecademy.com/

Create an account, go to web fundamentals and then click JavaScript. It will teach you the very basics, then from there after learning web javascript, you should then learn Unity JavaScript (they are very similar but unity adds to it) do this by just watching general tutorials and checking out forums.

Hope this helped!

-BondoGames

4. podent

podent

Thank you so much! I will try it out.

It did help. Both of you!
    -Podent

5. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

Yes, C# and unityscript are. Which is why he should skip step 1 and just learn C#. The scripting primer tutorials for beginners are being done in C# these days, as are most tutorial series I think.

Why would he start there? Unityscript has very little in common with real life javascript.
    Javascript tutorials will mostly deal with interacting with a webpage. Unityscript doesn't do that, it interacts with the .Net library. So learning C# is even a better way to learn unityscript than learning javacript, because C# tutorials will deal with the .Net library.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014